A question about the Stella...?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drum Pro

A question about the Stella...?

Post by Drum Pro »

I've been thinking bout getting another scoot and I wanted to ask about the reliability of a Stella in the desert. Will the carb clog more due to the dust? (We often have strong winds here in the deserts of Ca.) It will be garaged when not in use and if I get one, I plan to leave it stock. I'd like some opinions. Ooh and I'm not much of a wrencher but I can learn and do have the tools.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The Stella won't get "cloged" with dust anymore than your current bike. I don't see how this would actually change just because the Stella is a 2-stroke. In desert climates, a lack of humidity and excessive heat are more important than dust. The Stella, when moving, has plenty of airflow for proper operation (just don't go sitting for an hour in idle in 110 degree temps). The Stella rubber bits due tend to break down faster in constant direct sunlight, but if it's kept in shade then no biggie. For some reason, Indian rubber isn't very UV resilient.

The Stella is a great bike that will hold up forever. I had around 20k miles when I sold mine and it was still going strong. Still kicking myself for getting rid of it to pay for the GTS :cry: They require a bit more upkeep, since they are rocking 30+ year old technology. But, spend one shop day a month going around tightening loose bits everywhere and keep your cables in check and you should have no problems! just remember: Crankcase oil (30W) every 1000 miles, de-coke the heads every 10k miles and KEEP THOSE CABLES TIGHT!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Thanks NeoTrotsky. Is the up keep more or about the same as an old P series or does riding style have any play in it? (sorry if this seems like a stupid question).
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Mechanically, the only difference is the carb design, front hydraulic disc (although some later PX bikes have disc) and the fact that it has an electric starter (more of just deadweight in my opinion, but I'm odd). Other than making sure the front brake lines are in good repair, you'll find the maintenance the same on a Stella as you would a Vespa. Remember they share 90% of the same DNA. And, riding style ALWAYS affects maintenance and what goes wrong when. Ride like a dick, and you'll be wrenching and pushing it more than if you treat it with respect

And, before it gets mentioned, there is some controversy over the imfamous "LML main bearing" issue. Read up on Stellas long enough and someone will mention it.

Some insist that the main bearings on ALL LML scooters fail constantly and hence make the bike junk. I myself put a ton of miles on my '05 Stella with no issue. Some have had their main bearings go out after 1500 miles. But, I question alot of the claims because many people who post and complain about it tried to really kit-up their bike and seem to want more power ASAP. Without an accurate survey, I am more inclined to say user error has more to do with the main bearing failure than a consistent issue with LML parts.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

neotrotsky wrote: Without an accurate survey, I am more inclined to say user error has more to do with the main bearing failure than a consistent issue with LML parts.
I agree fully. Many people want to "kit" a bike without splitting the cases. They hit the top end, carb, exhaust, but neglect the other components such as crank, clutch, and crank clutch and fly side bearings.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

My 2005 Stella has nearly 7,000 miles with no problems. The only improvement made is a Sito+ and the appropriate jetting. I live in southern AZ in a desert climate. I don't know about the new 4-stroke Stellas, but my 2T has been happily chugging away since i bought it new in August of 2006.