helmets?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

alexandercase

helmets?

Post by alexandercase »

Looking for a vintage or basic motorcycle helmet. I am from Indiana where motorcycle helmets are optional, and although I bought a vespa brand helmet I only wore it 50% of the time, I know I know I should wear it every time, which is why I am trying to find one I like now that I have moved to Oregon where it is mandatory. I am looking for something to match my ivory and brown stella 4t, anyone have any recommendations?

Maybe something like the picture, but I can't find anything like this retail, I want something three quarter face and a possibility of a visor, I know these with the clips can add a visor pretty easily. I've seen the Nolan n20 and n30s and they aren't too bad but not exactly what I am looking for.
Attachments
small_jet_ivory2.jpeg
small_jet_ivory2.jpeg (42.28 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
kitty

Post by kitty »

I have this HCI, it's pure white though. I think it goes with my Powder Blue Stella nicely. I don't think they have an ivory/cream color but perhaps there's another color you'll like.

There's a good comparison review on it here.
I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I really like the Bell Mag-8 as a 3/4 helmet with flip down visor and sun peak. Comes in quite a few colors and is available on close-out at several of the on-line supply outlets. My partner rides with one in an attractive pearl finish off white - I went for the matt black w/orange stripe.
Attachments
Mag 8.jpg
Mag 8.jpg (10.65 KiB) Viewed 5259 times
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

If you absolutely must go with an open face, the new Bell 500's are pretty sharp AND are fiberglass construction! This in my book is a big plus.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Witch

Post by Witch »

Both HCI and Fulmer make the exact style like the one you posted. They both fit differently, too (I can't fit a Fulmer, but the HCI is very cozy on me). I don't recall having seen either brand in ivory, but it's entirely possible I just missed one. Both brand of helmets have the standard 3 snaps up at the top, and come with a visor. You can easily swap it out for a face shield if you like.
mr bill

Post by mr bill »

Heres one of mine, a HCI 15, great on a hot day.

Keith

Post by Keith »

I don't remember the stat any more but serious injury to the mouth and jaw is something you might want to think about. A full helmet is the best choice when it comes to safety and a modular full face helmet makes it easy to flip up the front when stopped.......just a thought.
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (6.02 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
05 Stella- "Moto Psycho"
07 Kymco Grand Vista 250- "DINK"
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I like a 3/4 and wear a Z1R Metro, sadly a discontinued model replaced by the Ace Transit. Both have face shield/sun visor combination.
I like the one you show, like the Bell Doooglas shows more.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

I wear a 3/4 HCI that is fiberglass covered with leather. Image
Last edited by pumpedoncaffeine on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The most popular ones around here are the Nolan N-30 or N-32 and the Fulmers. Almost every new scooterist I see wears one or the other!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
anthony

Post by anthony »

Vespa Portland has the Bell Custom 500, which is exactly like the picture you posted. I can't guarantee they have the white/cream color though.
alexandercase

yeah

Post by alexandercase »

already checked there, they just have what the bell web site has.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Have you checked out Nolan? The N30 and N20 are some REALLY sharp vintage style 3/4's that have plenty of modern tech, and a great reputation. And, they are quite affordable to boot (under $200)! I'm seriously looking at the N20 for my next lid since I think I may of found my next scooter...

**Update**

Once again, Ericlam has beaten me to the punch suggesting the Nolan. Well, consider it an endorsement on appearance alone then :P At least great minds think alike (or so I'd like to think)

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
blackshirts

Post by blackshirts »

I have no advice helmet-wise, but - you moved to Oregon? I live in Orygun and am curious where you are. i am in the mid - Willamette valley south of Portland.
talindsay

Post by talindsay »

Remember, you buy a helmet that protects the parts you care about. If you like eating through a straw, an open face helmet is just the thing. If however you like your jaw then I recommend a proper helmet. Right now I'm lusting after a Nolan N85 because I like my jaw. I currently wear an HJC CL15 I think - a basic SNELL rated full face. It's not there to look awesome, it's there to protect my head.
2012 Creme Stella (4T)
2005 Mint Green Stella - 166cc, mazz race crank, boyeson reeds, 24/24e, Sito+
2005 Triumph Bonneville -*- 2008 Trek 1.5 -*- 2012 Fiat 500 Sport -*- 2010 Mazda 5 Sport
1976 Caucasian Legs good for 10 MPH
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

talindsay wrote:Remember, you buy a helmet that protects the parts you care about. If you like eating through a straw, an open face helmet is just the thing. If however you like your jaw then I recommend a proper helmet. Right now I'm lusting after a Nolan N85 because I like my jaw. I currently wear an HJC CL15 I think - a basic SNELL rated full face. It's not there to look awesome, it's there to protect my head.
Does anyone read the Posting Guidelines?
GENERAL BEHAVIOR
The purpose of Modern Buddy is to inform, educate, entertain and bring us together as a community. This is a forum where scooterists of all ranges of experience, backgrounds and knowledge levels could come and discuss things without feeling intimidated or assaulted by the hostility often found elsewhere. Be civil to one another. Treat everyone with respect. Keep it friendly and remember that not everyone shares your particular viewpoint, nor should anyone be ridiculed or patronized for not believing or behaving exactly as you do.

This is especially true in discussions of helmet and gear use. It's okay to share facts and personal anecdotes, but please refrain from criticizing others, preaching to them, or using rhetoric ("I wear a full face because I like my face," etc.) in the forum. This type of language does little to sway others who decide to assume the additional risks of wearing less gear. Though Modern Buddy encourages use of proper riding gear and helmets, we have no official policy other than not condemning others for their decisions they make regarding what they wear.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
talindsay

Post by talindsay »

I'm not apologizing for pointing out in a thread full of open helmets that full face helmets are substantially better at protecting the front of your face. I know several people who have walked away from serious accidents because they were wearing proper safety gear. The original poster asked for opinions about helmets, and that's what I provided.
2012 Creme Stella (4T)
2005 Triumph Bonneville -*- 2008 Trek 1.5 -*- 2012 Fiat 500 Sport -*- 2010 Mazda 5 Sport
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

talindsay wrote:I'm not apologizing for pointing out in a thread full of open helmets that full face helmets are substantially better at protecting the front of your face. I know several people who have walked away from serious accidents because they were wearing proper safety gear. The original poster asked for opinions about helmets, and that's what I provided.
Everyone takes their own level of risk. We're all adults here and while opinion is cool... helmet threads are tricky and it's *real* easy to get preachy.

I have my opinions of helmets, but she presented opinions on a particular configuration that she desired. Of course, I recommended the one she didn't want, which is my idiocy of not reading the entire thread. I didn't suggest the full face lids that I prefer because that was not what she was looking for.

Ericalm is just trying to keep it civil.

talindsay

Post by talindsay »

neotrotsky wrote:
talindsay wrote:I'm not apologizing for pointing out in a thread full of open helmets that full face helmets are substantially better at protecting the front of your face. I know several people who have walked away from serious accidents because they were wearing proper safety gear. The original poster asked for opinions about helmets, and that's what I provided.
Everyone takes their own level of risk. We're all adults here and while opinion is cool... helmet threads are tricky and it's *real* easy to get preachy.

I have my opinions of helmets, but she presented opinions on a particular configuration that she desired. Of course, I recommended the one she didn't want, which is my idiocy of not reading the entire thread. I didn't suggest the full face lids that I prefer because that was not what she was looking for.

Ericalm is just trying to keep it civil.
All fair points, thank you. I do think it's worth reminding people - new riders especially, who often simply don't understand - that helmets are safety equipment, not fashion accessories, and that some do their job better than others. But you and Eric are absolutely right.

When I was a new rider I bought an HJC AC-3 3/4 helmet and a custom pair of prescription goggles. It was super comfortable and awesome looking, I like the AC-3 because it's very light and incredibly quiet, SNELL approved, and still pretty retro-looking. Sadly, they don't seem to make anything like it anymore.
2012 Creme Stella (4T)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The OP had already made up their mind about getting an open face. You can remind them about the benefits of a FF without getting didactic or condescending about it.

If unchecked, the Types Who Think They Know Better will jump on everyone about their gear choices every time it comes up. This creates a hostile and undesirable atmosphere. How do we know this? Years of scooter forum history! That's why we eschew that type of rhetoric and various platitudes about wearing a full face.

When members join, they agree to adhere to the Posting Guidelines. That's part of the deal. They're there, for everyone to see. Those who willfully violate them or continue to do so after a reminder are reneging on that agreement. No one's asking for an apology, just that you stick to preexisting agreement. No one likes a reneger.

Fortunately, we have a Helmet Buying Guide that makes all of the points regarding safety:
topic4951.html
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

The Nolan Nomads are sweet looking !
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Gobigblue

Post by Gobigblue »

Here is the helmet I chose.

Fulmer helmet in flat black.

Black is hotter than white (one thing to think about)

Mine has a vent which helps keep me a little cool in this heat.

Mine also has the clear shield as well as the internal sun shield, which I love so I don't have to wear my sunglasses.

It also has reflectors on the back.
Attachments
Fulmer helmet.png
Fulmer helmet.png (169.27 KiB) Viewed 4993 times
lempira

Post by lempira »

I currently wear an HJC CL15 I think - a basic SNELL rated full face. It's not there to look awesome, it's there to protect my head.
I prefer to look awesome.

"always in fashion, never full price"
Wonder

Post by Wonder »

Here is my helmet. It's from Biltwell in wine megaflake and I got the mirrored bubble shield off of ebay that just snaps on. I also have a clear flat face shield.
Attachments
IMG_20120602_190024.jpg
IMG_20120602_190024.jpg (29.25 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ooooo really like the Nolan N-30
I have just added that to my "list"
larrylarry75

Open faced lids

Post by larrylarry75 »

I guess I'm a helmet nut as last time I looked there were seven or eight parked on top of my dresser. Among them are exotics by Shoei, Arai, Schuberth, and Aeroh as well as ordinary lids by HJC and even a cat bowl by Fuel. For a long time [starting in the early 60's] I wore Bell lids but when their quality went away in the 70's I switched to the best quality Japanese brands I could get. Eventually I bit the bullet and imported a Schuberth C3, an exotic I'd lusted after for a number of years. Since then they've re-entered the US market which cuts their lofty price by $100 or so, still way up in the ozone layer but not quite as painful.

After years of experimenting I finally found the best all around helmet for me is an Arai SZ/C 3/4 style. My decision to go with it is simply that it provides a fantastic field of vision, something I've never really been satisfied with wearing full coverage lids. The visor keeps the bugs at bay and when temps drop below minus-nippy I wear a Knox Cold Killer or switch to one of the full coverage lids, usually the C-3.

Am I concerned about having my face ripped off due to wearing an open face model? Nope. I realize it's a personal choice and I'm SOOOO glad this forum recognizes that. Thank you Eric and company and thank you also to all the well-meaning people who care enough to voice their concerns.

LL75 :wink:
Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...
double-o-soul

Post by double-o-soul »

I'm an asshole that doesn't wear a helmet when riding under 30 city blocks. But let me make the case for a full face:
In the winter you'll really want that warmth
As was said earlier, the protection to your mouth and jaw is really helpful
You'll look more menacing when people can't see your whole face and therefore people will be less likely to disturb you.

Just my two cent... modular full faces are the best.
vantage

Post by vantage »

Its funny, in my real world location, I get peer pressure NOT to go with 3/4 or full face.

I expected the same here. I created a thread and mentioned my reasons for wanting 3/4 or modular and did not consider it to be preaching, just pointing out my reasons for wanting info on those styles. So now I know.

Every time we get on a scooter instead of in a vehichle we are raising the risk level. The helmet topic is just an extention of that. Some people bungy jump, others snow ski.

I used to get alot of flack about safety and risk during the almost 20 years I drove a Suzuki Samaria. I would point out that I could be on a motorcycle to end that conversation.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:
The OP had already made up their mind about getting an open face. You can remind them about the benefits of a FF without getting didactic or condescending about it.

If unchecked, the Types Who Think They Know Better will jump on everyone about their gear choices every time it comes up. This creates a hostile and undesirable atmosphere. How do we know this? Years of scooter forum history! That's why we eschew that type of rhetoric and various platitudes about wearing a full face.

When members join, they agree to adhere to the Posting Guidelines. That's part of the deal. They're there, for everyone to see. Those who willfully violate them or continue to do so after a reminder are reneging on that agreement. No one's asking for an apology, just that you stick to preexisting agreement. No one likes a reneger.

Fortunately, we have a Helmet Buying Guide that makes all of the points regarding safety:
topic4951.html
excellent link!

Nothing makes me crazier than the self appointed safety police.

I have a 67 GT rat bike. Often when I put it in a show I put a beat up chrome half helmet on a mirror for show. You wouldn't believe how many people lecture me about that helmet...on and on and on.

At rallies I like to wear shorts and flip flops at the destination. I ride there with FF helmet, jacket, boots and armored mesh pants. Once I get there I ungear stash my stuff and pull the flip flops out of the side cowl. You guessed it...the SASP get on my case about what I'm wearing at the freaking BBQ...drinking a beer while they lecture me.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Crew

Post by Crew »

I like the Momo's, especially the New Fighter helmet...

Last edited by Crew on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
larrylarry75

Post by larrylarry75 »

Crew wrote:I like the Momo's, especially the New Fighter helmet...

Man that's a great looking lid! Momo knows where all the buttons are and they never seem to hesitate to push them. I usually buy a new helmet every 3-4 years and that puppy's on my short list. If any of you are wearing one I'd like to know how close their sizes run?

Another brand I'd like to try some time is a Roof but without USA representation it's a bit risky. Jury's still out on that one.

LL75 8)
Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...
Crew

Post by Crew »

I'm saving for a Momo but it's gonna take a while. I like their Matt/Tobacco color...
You can check out their website,
http://www.momohelmets.com/
JohnThreeSixteen
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

If money was no object, the Belvedere Ventura from Ruby http://www.icasque.com/Ruby/Belvedere/B ... e-Ventura/.
Attachments
ruby-belvedere-ventura-3-s6.jpg
ruby-belvedere-ventura-3-s6.jpg (146.22 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
Crew

Post by Crew »

Is that 900 euro for the Belvedere? It is nice.
JohnThreeSixteen
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

If you absolutely must go with an open face, the new Bell 500's are pretty sharp AND are fiberglass construction! This in my book is a big plus.
+1

I will also add that THH, GMAX, and Fulmer also make quality 3/4 open face helmets, but make sure you can try them on for size since each one will fit a bit differently
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Crew wrote:Is that 900 euro for the Belvedere? It is nice.
Um, some of the Rubys are $900 USD.

They have a full face coming out. It's very '60s-shaped, meaning it won't go on my big ol' head.
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

910 Euro to be exact. The exchange rate the other day put it at around $1150.
anthony

Post by anthony »

jmer1234 wrote:

:o
For that price, the helmet better have a built-in heating/cooling unit and Bose surround sound system.
gilbee

Post by gilbee »

I have the hjc is-33

But I saw this on pch yesterday and I'm in love.

It's called bandit and I want it.
I'm partial to cafe style. ;)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jmer1234 wrote:
Doesn't really work out that way when you buy in the US. Depending on what you get, in the US Rubys run around $700 and on up to just under $1K for some of the custom models.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Momo, BTW, lost their US distributor a few years ago. Some shops blew out the helmets pretty cheap, considering they're quite pricey (not Ruby pricey) for open face lids. If you want one now, you're dealing with overseas shipping.

The Momos are made by NewMax, which makes a bunch of similar style helmets for many companies: Vespa, Ferrari, Cromwell, Borsalino, Moto Guzzi, Laura Smith and on and on. Many are basically the exact same helmets in different colors and slight styling variations.

Check it here: http://newmax.it/en/
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

ericalm wrote:Momo, BTW, lost their US distributor a few years ago. Some shops blew out the helmets pretty cheap, considering they're quite pricey (not Ruby pricey) for open face lids. If you want one now, you're dealing with overseas shipping.

The Momos are made by NewMax, which makes a bunch of similar style helmets for many companies: Vespa, Ferrari, Cromwell, Borsalino, Moto Guzzi, Laura Smith and on and on. Many are basically the exact same helmets in different colors and slight styling variations.

When ordering from overseas, has anyone ever gotten hit with customs taxes? I know it can be hit and miss when ordering bicycle components from overseas.
Cpequin

Post by Cpequin »

[quote="gilbee"]I have the hjc is-33

ok, i'll jump in...i too have the HJC IS-33...and after wearing it for 8 months including summertime in the Valley of the Sun...i have a laundry list of reasons i've decided to go full face, but comfort and safety are interchangeable at the top of the list...and it's my choice, no helmet law in AZ.

My 170i is pretty zippy, and the stuff that manages to hit my face even with the shield down (lower lip and down) hurts!! (Most notable is the bee that got stuck under my chinstrap below my ear, who stung me when I was in the process of taking OFF my helmet) Also, forget the inner smoke shade: if I don't wear sunglasses or my cheap yellow Remington shooting glasses (from Walmart) under my face shield, my eyeballs get so dried out from the wind that comes up under the shield. That same hairdryer hot (not exaggerating) air going up my nose managed to make me have nose bleeds every other day during July. I finally stopped riding mid August for 3 wks... Now that it's cold (50's in the a.m., ya i'm a wimp!) it's just uncomfortable.

I have decided on the Shoei X12 for ventilation and the quick release safety tabs that pull all the cheek pads out to make it easier for doctors to remove your helmet. (NO i don't ever plan on that happening!) Am I going to miss the convenience of sipping from my cup of ice water at a red light? Yup. Going to have to think of something, or just pull over every now and then. Oh well.

All that being said, i really absolutely love all the cool 3/4's everyone's posted!! If I was on a smaller scooter, or if my round trip commute wasn't 55 miles 5x/wk, that's probably what I'd wear.
gilbee

Post by gilbee »

Cpequin wrote: Also, forget the inner smoke shade: if I don't wear sunglasses or my cheap yellow Remington shooting glasses (from Walmart) under my face shield, my eyeballs get so dried out from the wind that comes up under the shield. That same hairdryer hot (not exaggerating) air going up my nose managed to make me have nose bleeds every other day during July. I finally stopped riding mid August for 3 wks... Now that it's cold (50's in the a.m., ya i'm a wimp!) it's just uncomfortable.

All that being said, i really absolutely love all the cool 3/4's everyone's posted!! If I was on a smaller scooter, or if my round trip commute wasn't 55 miles 5x/wk, that's probably what I'd wear.
Since I live in Southern California, the climate is quite moist, I don't have to worry about it getting that hot and dry. I've never experienced nose bleads. But I do know what your talking about with the wind going up the helment. It's pretty convenient when my face shield gets fogged up in the cold. But I do regret getting it. Mostly because of how frozen my face gets when it's slightly cold. So I bought a "freeze out" balaclava and that's been pretty nice. I also rigged up some speakers in there from some old skull candy over ear headphones for a bit of background noise during my 60 mile daily commute (9-5er). I'm still considering getting a Bandit helmet. The full face will be nice in the cold and I love the idea of keeping face skin intact in the event I go down. Also the Bandit looks pretty bad ass.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

For me fit is always the problem Have tried several different helmets,
all still sitting on the shelf, wear a Bell half helmet, extra large, as it
fits over my cochlear implant without knocking it off. Better to hear than to
ride deaf.
Crew

Post by Crew »

ericalm, thanks for that link to Newmax.it.
Very nice.
JohnThreeSixteen
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jmer1234 wrote:
ericalm wrote:Momo, BTW, lost their US distributor a few years ago. Some shops blew out the helmets pretty cheap, considering they're quite pricey (not Ruby pricey) for open face lids. If you want one now, you're dealing with overseas shipping.

When ordering from overseas, has anyone ever gotten hit with customs taxes? I know it can be hit and miss when ordering bicycle components from overseas.
Just about every time I order from SIP!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL