Anyone seen the new 2013 Stella's yet?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

nb0tt

Anyone seen the new 2013 Stella's yet?

Post by nb0tt »

Hello All!

Recently had my fully rebuilt 78 Puch smashed and will be looking for something new to eventually replace it with and have been eyeing the Stella for many years now.

Went to SFSC in San Francisco recently but they only had Stella's made in 2011 there that were covered in dust and looked kinda beat up from sitting for so long.

I figure if I'm going to be purchasing something new I'd actually like it to be new, so does anyone have an idea for when the 2013 model might be showing up at the dealers?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are new ones shipping now, but I'm not sure what their official model year is.

If SFSC has a bunch of 2011s, that's probably what they're going to stock until they're gone. There haven't been any changes between model years. IIRC, there actually wasn't a 2012 MY for the model, so these probably shipped this year.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
magnato1

Re: Anyone seen the new 2013 Stella's yet?

Post by magnato1 »

nb0tt wrote:Hello All!

Recently had my fully rebuilt 78 Puch smashed and will be looking for something new to eventually replace it with and have been eyeing the Stella for many years now.

Went to SFSC in San Francisco recently but they only had Stella's made in 2011 there that were covered in dust and looked kinda beat up from sitting for so long.

I figure if I'm going to be purchasing something new I'd actually like it to be new, so does anyone have an idea for when the 2013 model might be showing up at the dealers?

I bought a 2010 in October and was able to talk the dealer down to 3000 out the door. Bike had a little dust on it, but it runs great and I love it. If you wanna save some cash, if suggest bargaining with SFSC for one if the 2011s.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My dealer, Vespa Marietta, tells me that there will be no 2013 Stellas
available. He says the 2014 model will have a CVT transmission.
If you like gears then get the 2012 model. Said dealer gave me an excellent
deal on mine. :(
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Wolfhound wrote:My dealer, Vespa Marietta, tells me that there will be no 2013 Stellas
Hudson Valley Scooters told me the same thing last Saturday.

I like gears.

Although I could see an automatic as opening up the market for the Stella.
nb0tt

Post by nb0tt »

Wow, I understand the idea of having an auto (yuck) model to open up the market but to completely get rid of the manual seems crazy!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

eventually I would prolly buy one, doesn't matter if it's auto or not. since the Auto will be available by the time I can afford one, it depends on if my wife takes to riding or not.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

My understanding is this CVT version will be only 125cc.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I may be wrong but I think it is already available in Europe. :?
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Just checked it out and the LML Star 125cc 4T Automatica CVT tran was
scheduled for release in Dec. 2012 in Europe.
:D
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

A Stella without gears just isn't a Stella. I need to get the straight dope on this as I was planning to get a black one later this year. I won't buy an automatic Stella; My Yager is a better bike.

Sorry to hear about your Puch. I've got a '78 JC Penny Pinto, two '78 Maxi Sports and an a Euro-market '75 Maxi; they're a lot of fun to wrench and ride on.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Traditionally, many scooters that are 125s in the UK and Europe are 150s here due to different licensing and other requirements.

The Star Auto will be coming to the US. Much more likely to be a 150 than 125. No drop date yet or plans to have it (fully) replace the shifter. It'll probably be more than a year before the shifters become scarce if Genuine decides to go this route, which isn't certain.

But if you haven't noticed, the shifty Stellas haven't been huge sellers. No matter how much we love them (or even how much Genuine loves them), it's really not where the market is right now or where it's going.

If you want the shifty Stella to live on, buy another one and convince all your friends and relatives to get one, too.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Ericalm, that is exactly what my dealer is saying. Got my 2012 just before
weather got cold here and only have 250 miles on it. I ride in my rursl arera
of the NGA mountains and so far the hills have not been a problem, takes
most of them in 4th, now and then down to 3rd. Not as convient as an CVT
but more fun. :D
budreybaker13

Stella Discussion

Post by budreybaker13 »

Yes, I think it is already available in Europe. In japan, I am not sure but will inquire for it.
Spud

Post by Spud »

I have seen the 2013 Stellas in person, and bought one (although due to an error on LML/Genuine's pat, I can't drive it yet and it's sitting at the dealership).

They are pretty similar to the earlier models. The have manufacturing dates from just a few months ago. The finish seems slightly improved, although not much. The brake pedal seems easier to use (maybe the stem is shorter), but I can't confirm this with records or anything, so it could be my imagination.

But basically I can confirm that (Yes Virginia :P) there IS a 2013 Stella and they are at dealers now.
Witch

Post by Witch »

ericalm wrote:The Star Auto will be coming to the US. Much more likely to be a 150 than 125.
Damnit!!

I'm just about to finish paying off my GTV. I thought I'd have more money when I did that. And now Genuine's got my attention more than ever before... :roll:
p.russo911

Post by p.russo911 »

I just got my 2013 Stella. So far the fuel gauge isn't working, the speedometer isn't close to my actual speed, and my spare tire wont hold air. Good times
Witch

Post by Witch »

Welcome to the world of scooters, where there's no such thing as an accurate speedometer. ;)
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

p.russo911 wrote:I just got my 2013 Stella. So far the fuel gauge isn't working, the speedometer isn't close to my actual speed, and my spare tire wont hold air. Good times
It's a new bike, Let your dealer take care of those problems under warranty for you.

It's normal for your speedometer to read a little fast.
Spud

Post by Spud »

p.russo911 wrote:I just got my 2013 Stella. So far the fuel gauge isn't working, the speedometer isn't close to my actual speed, and my spare tire wont hold air. Good times
If it tells you you're going a little faster than you really are, that's not really a problem. The speedometer is supposed to be optimistic; all motorcycle speedometers are like that, to discourage people from riding too fast (as if you could really go that fast on a Stella :lol: )

But if it is really, really off then definitely have your dealer fix it. Shouldn't take too long, I imagine (but really I don't know that much).
Indy21

Post by Indy21 »

Sorry to bump an old discussion but I'm new here and just browsing.

Don't have a Stella yet but hope to within a couple of years.

I'd hate to see the shifty go because that's one of the things that has drawn me to this scooter other than the overall style I really like.

I can't seem to find the article now but a couple of days ago I read about how the sales have been for the 125, 150 and 200 star models in EU and the article seem to suggest that the 125's and 200's have been outselling the 150 by a lot (I can't remember exact numbers, sorry).

And I'm not exactly sure if the 125's they have over there currently are auto's or not.

What I think would be great is if they went ahead and sent the 125 auto over here (rumored, right?) and then cut the 150's and bring the 200 shifty's over! I'd be all over that!

Aren't the 200's fairly new over there now anyways? Can only hope they've run through their "test batch" of a couple years and will try them over here.

Anyways, great forum, great discussions, glad to be here. May not be able to add much feedback YET but hope to in the near future.
fatcharlie

Post by fatcharlie »

Spoke with who I believe to be a reliable source at Amerivespa...

First off, I was not being told anything official... as the source couldn't give official information for specific reasons.

I worded my question like so: I don't own a Stella, however I am interested in purchasing one, but I'm concerned about the bike no longer being a manual transmission by the time that I am able to work up the funds to buy one.

His response: I don't think you have a reason to worry about it.

That put my mind at ease... while its not official by any means, I hope it shines a bit of light on this question.
Indy21

Post by Indy21 »

fatcharlie wrote:Spoke with who I believe to be a reliable source at Amerivespa...

First off, I was not being told anything official... as the source couldn't give official information for specific reasons.

I worded my question like so: I don't own a Stella, however I am interested in purchasing one, but I'm concerned about the bike no longer being a manual transmission by the time that I am able to work up the funds to buy one.

His response: I don't think you have a reason to worry about it.

That put my mind at ease... while its not official by any means, I hope it shines a bit of light on this question.
Well, that's good to hear if indeed true. Ericalm seems to think the same, and that made me feel better. (Since this is your first post, 'Ericalm' is the moderator here and apparently has some good connections, I just discovered as I'm new here as well)

I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to making a big purchase, always coming in late to the game when what I want is close to being phased out, hopefully that isn't the case with the Stella.
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Judging from the 2012's still sitting around at SFSC when I was there for service last week (at least two of them were there when I bought my Stella in Oct 2012) I think new leftover shifties will still be around for a long while at dealers. Heck you can still find some uncrated new 2005 PX150's if the Vespa badge is important to you.

I do find it curious how many Bajajs I see in SF vs Stellas. I've seen maybe three Stellas here on the street since I bought mine but I have seen dozens and dozens of Bajajs. I don't know why the Stella isn't catching on here the same way. I know SFSC sold both, so it has nothing to do with distribution.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Wolfhound wrote:My dealer, Vespa Marietta, tells me that there will be no 2013 Stellas
Good tip. I'll bear that in mind. Couldn't muster the cash right now anyway.

I will be interested to see the first reviews.

Now if somebody would just import a modernized Lambretta lookalike.....