Rear Luggage Rack... 2Ts won't work on 4Ts??

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Goldfishpimp

Rear Luggage Rack... 2Ts won't work on 4Ts??

Post by Goldfishpimp »

I really like the looks of this fixed rear luggage rack with grip rails for the 2 strokes. Personally, I don't care for backrests... but this would be perfrect for hauling larger items and would give my wife something to hold on to if she's ever on the back (she's usually on her own Vino). Can anyone tell me why this won't work on a 4T? Does anyone know if a modification can be made (within reason)? I guess I'm not seeing the difference between my old 2T and my new 4T... Thanks in advance.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I don't have that exact rack, But it looks like mine is similar.

I had to remove the mount for the anti-rollover valve, The valve is now hanging free. I think I can probably re-install the valve mount over the rack and it'd work fine.

Other racks don't work because of the gas tank shape changing on the 4T scooters, it's humped like a old Rally tank not flat like the P-Series & Stella Tanks are.
Attachments
IMG_20130203_140953_cropped.jpg
IMG_20130203_140953_cropped.jpg (183.99 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

That make sense... thanks for the info.
If it just means repositioning that valve mount... I may give it a go.
Thanks again.
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

Just saw your picture... that looks just like it!
Are you happy with it? Nice quality?
thx
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Yeah I really like the rack I have.

It's one I already had so I don't know about availability for it, Maybe try your dealer?
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

My dealer installed one like this when I got my 4T. IIRC, he had to cut a bit off the part going towards the front of the bike and cap them, but he did make it fit. The only drawback is making it exceptionally more difficult (but still doable) to put the left side cowl back on if you have to remove it for whatever reason. The presence of the sidebar going along the seat makes the angle a bit too oblique for the cowl to just fit right back on. And yes it's just the left. For some reason, the right side one is much easier to put back on.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Stilts wrote:My dealer installed one like this when I got my 4T. IIRC, he had to cut a bit off the part going towards the front of the bike and cap them, but he did make it fit. The only drawback is making it exceptionally more difficult (but still doable) to put the left side cowl back on if you have to remove it for whatever reason. The presence of the sidebar going along the seat makes the angle a bit too oblique for the cowl to just fit right back on. And yes it's just the left. For some reason, the right side one is much easier to put back on.
I just got a Stella with that rack on it, I had a lot of trouble with the cowls because I did it the standard way

(peg at the rear in, catch the spring and then insert the peg at the front)

This rack made it really hard to catch the spring properly, however this is easily solved by catching the spring first and only then inserting the rear peg.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Lokky wrote:
Stilts wrote:My dealer installed one like this when I got my 4T. IIRC, he had to cut a bit off the part going towards the front of the bike and cap them, but he did make it fit. The only drawback is making it exceptionally more difficult (but still doable) to put the left side cowl back on if you have to remove it for whatever reason. The presence of the sidebar going along the seat makes the angle a bit too oblique for the cowl to just fit right back on. And yes it's just the left. For some reason, the right side one is much easier to put back on.
I just got a Stella with that rack on it, I had a lot of trouble with the cowls because I did it the standard way

This rack made it really hard to catch the spring properly, however this is easily solved by catching the spring first and only then inserting the rear peg.
Huh, I will have to try that. I hadn't thought of doing it that way.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Lokky wrote: I just got a Stella with that rack on it, I had a lot of trouble with the cowls because I did it the standard way

Woo, Congrats on another bike, That' makes 3 now?

Also great idea. I have a heck of a time getting the spring to catch on mine, I'll have to try your method.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

JohnKiniston wrote: Woo, Congrats on another bike, That' makes 3 now?

Also great idea. I have a heck of a time getting the spring to catch on mine, I'll have to try your method.
Yep, my 09 Stella, my Buell Blast and now the Fireball :)

One of the Stellas is going to become a sidecar by next year.
mfavata

Post by mfavata »

I've been wondering the exact same thing about this rack. I want to get the black version for my creme Stella. I am not too crazy about the folding rack that Scooterworks has available.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

mfavata wrote:I've been wondering the exact same thing about this rack. I want to get the black version for my creme Stella. I am not too crazy about the folding rack that Scooterworks has available.
I have yet to meet someone who likes them.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Lokky wrote:
JohnKiniston wrote: Woo, Congrats on another bike, That' makes 3 now?
/quote]

Yep, my 09 Stella, my Buell Blast and now the Fireball :)

One of the Stellas is going to become a sidecar by next year.
Dude congrats! What number is your fireball? I wanna say mine is 96.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

JohnKiniston wrote:
She's #98! So close!
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

Lokky wrote:
JohnKiniston wrote:
She's #98! So close!
We were riding around last night then geeked out over scoots in my garage. I would post some pics but I am at work and don't have the cable for my phone (or a data plan).

Also, Lokky let me take her for a quick spin since he was concerned about the brakes a bit, which were fine.

Lokky, you're a lucky bitch....that fireball has so much swag on it it's like you got a free scoot with your scoot. Those cowl protectors are dead sexy and that rack is the best looking one IMO. I can't wait for the rally in two weeks....time to get my swerve on. 8)
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

DCUNITED4LIFE wrote: that rack is the best looking one IMO.
I have always known you were a fan of my rack. :P
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

I can already tell tonight's club meeting is gonna get wild. :fp: