Rims, Tires, Tubes, Moon Hubcaps...Check. Waiting on Clips..

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Goldfishpimp

Rims, Tires, Tubes, Moon Hubcaps...Check. Waiting on Clips..

Post by Goldfishpimp »

I have no patience...

Trying to give my Stella a "Hot Rod" feel with the typical red rims and white wall tires. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these VW hubcaps will work with these rims. I ordered some hubcap clips from ScootRS.com about three weeks ago, but they still haven't show up; I think they are shipping from Vietnam... Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to get items from them? I emailed them last week and was advised that they should be here any day (no tracking number).

It's a cold drizzley day here in Tulsa, so I figured that I'd start putting things together and start a thread that I can throw some pictures on as I'm getting things done... got a few more goodies coming in the mail. More pics to follow.

Hubcap Mugshot....
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

That's a bad ass decal....
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

Thanks, it was a challenge to get on. Hopefully it will hold up for a little while.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Jimmbomb had some moon hubcaps on his 4T for a while, but I don't know how they were held on, or whether they were for VW. Jimm?
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

The hubcaps should work with these clips that hold them on with outward pressure. There are 5 on each wheel (one on each lug stud). Looking at these hubcaps, I think they might work… I’m hoping so, cause I like the looks of these moon caps and they are about 1/3 of the cost of hubcaps made for scooters. The only problem is… I can only find these clips online at scootrs.com and they are overseas. I ordered them over 3 weeks ago… fingers crossed that they arrive this week.
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

Well... still no hubcap clips. I guess they could still come in, but me being the impatient person that I am... I picked up these hubcaps from TSR

Pros: Seem sturdy, good fit and they are NOT coming off.
Cons: Pricey, finish is not quite as good as the moon caps, just a little challenging to get off and on.... and the biggest con... the valve stem sits in-freakin-side the hubcap! you have to remove all 5 bolts and the hub cap just to check the tire pressure (I did not think about that when I purchased them). My guess is that the next time I check my tire pressure, they will be coming off and staying off; hopefully I will find some clips by then.

On a side note... was I the only one who was shocked that the front wheel and rear wheel have different size and type bolts holding them on??? I don't remember that being the case with my 2T.

Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

Shift knob came in today.... I'm going to attempt to make a "Hood Ornament" out of it. Off to Home Depot.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

Lookin' good!
any plans for a black seat? I think that would look nice.
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

Thanks... I've definitely thought about it. I'm torn between the tan seat with a black luggage rack/grab rails or a black seat with a chrome luggage rack... Opinions are welcome.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

Well I think some chrome and some non-chrome looks poorly planned, personally. If it were up to me, i'd do chrome rack and black seat, I think it would go well with the hot rod feel. If you wanted to get really custom, you could think about a red or white (or red and white) seat?
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

Probably right... I'm not hatin' the tan seat for the time being though. Happen to know off the top of your head if the 2T and 4T seats are the same?

Well, the gear shift knob converted into a hood ornament without a hitch. I know it's a little (or maybe a lot) ridiculous, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Plus, I can't take myself too seriously... I'm ridin' a dadgum scooter :D

Here's a few more "after" pics

JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

The seats are different. a 2T Seat wont fit on a 4T Bike due to the change in fuel tank design.

I'd recommend getting a black cover.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Looks good!
I'm digging that decal too!
If it were mine, I'd remove the stock plastic fender crest, and just go with the head by itself.
ep moddin
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

Thanks... I thought about that, but I'd have to enlarge one of the crest holes to 3/8" to bolt it on and I'd be left with the 2nd exposed hole. Plus, I'm not sure how well this resin shift knob is going to hold up. I wound up buying an aluminum crest and bolted it to that. This way if it winds up breaking (or if I get sick of it) I can just pop the stock plastic crest back on. But, you've got me thinking ... I could paint the crest gloss black. That may happen.