Oil and filter change + Do I have an oil leak??

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Spud

Oil and filter change + Do I have an oil leak??

Post by Spud »

Is it pretty easy to change the oil and filter for a Stella 4t?

An acquaintance of mine, a mechanic, mentioned that changing the oil and filter very early in the life of a vehicle is a great way to flush out dust, useless chemicals, and metal shavings, and sets the engine up for optimal performance later in its life.

I'd read about this online as well, and a lot of people swear by it. Seems like a good idea. I figure it can't hurt.

If anyone changes their own oil and filter, if there are any tips you have to share, I would very much like to know. I've never changed the oil in anything before, btw, so this is new to me.

Edit (4:10 P.M. EST):

As I was looking over my bike just now, I noticed that there appears to be oil on the engine case. Is this a sign of a leak? :shock: Keep in mind, I haven't tried to change the oil or anything. I just noticed this.
Attachments
oily.jpg
oily.jpg (173.2 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
dalebor

Re: Oil and filter change + Do I have an oil leak??

Post by dalebor »

Spud wrote:Is it pretty easy to change the oil and filter for a Stella 4t?
As I was looking over my bike just now, I noticed that there appears to be oil on the engine case. Is this a sign of a leak? :shock: Keep in mind, I haven't tried to change the oil or anything. I just noticed this.
I don't think it's oil. It looks like the brown preservative (anti-corrosion) goop that LML puts on the Stella when they ship them out from India. It's hard to get off. At the suggestion of another forum member in another thread I used Hoppes #9 gun barrel cleaner and a small brass bristle parts cleaning brush on the aluminum of the engine/transmission. The goop came right off. Then I rinsed it with WD40 and then cleaned that off with engine degreaser and water.
Spud

Post by Spud »

dalebor wrote:I don't think it's oil. It looks like the brown preservative (anti-corrosion) goop that LML puts on the Stella when they ship them out from India. It's hard to get off. At the suggestion of another forum member in another thread I used Hoppes #9 gun barrel cleaner and a small brass bristle parts cleaning brush on the aluminum of the engine/transmission. The goop came right off. Then I rinsed it with WD40 and then cleaned that off with engine degreaser and water.
Thanks for the info. :)
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

When I suspect leaks like this, I always clean the area, and take another picture. Then I recheck each day to see if anything occurs/leaks/drips/stains, sometimes comparing to the old photo.
Spud

Post by Spud »

slotrod65 wrote:When I suspect leaks like this, I always clean the area, and take another picture. Then I recheck each day to see if anything occurs/leaks/drips/stains, sometimes comparing to the old photo.
What a great common-sense idea. Surprised I didn't think of it. :lol: I'll try cleaning it off and seeing if it comes back.

Anyone who's changed the oil on their Stella, please do chime in. I would like to get this done within the next couple of days. I'm sure it can't be that hard. 8)
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

I know some folks will do an oil change as early as 200 miles… In my personal opinion, it’s not needed that soon. I would say 500 miles for the 1st one.
It is a pretty easy job, even with very little mechanical “know-how”.
I would recommend searching you tube for “scooter oil change”. I don’t think there is one on there for a 4T Stella (you could be the 1st), but it will give you a really good idea of what you are in for.

A few tips:
• Get a large syringe; like the ones used on horses. I got mine from Tractor Supply. It will make filling the oil a lot easier, less messy and more accurate.
• Plastic Measuring Cup
• Cover the area in newspaper... no matter how careful you are… there WILL be a spill… and you will be very thankful that the newspaper was there.
• Last Tip, and this will sound ridiculous... I thought it was at first. Get yourself a box of medical gloves. I thought it was a little “prima donna”, but I gave it a try and have to say that it was pretty cool to have completely clean hands when you are finished. Plus, if you have to grab the bike, answer a phone or go inside … it’s super easy just to pull off the gloves and not have to worry about getting oil on everything.

Good Luck… It’s a great feeling to do your own maintenance. Just keep receipts of everything so that you don’t void you warranty.
neuro

Post by neuro »

I changed the oil in my Stella 4T last weekend... it's pretty easy. Keep in mind that on the engine side you'll be 1) removing a drain plug, 2) removing a larger plug that holds the oil mesh screen, and on the spare tire side 3) you'll also be removing the spare tire and a metal plate on the engine behind which there is a spring held paper oil filter (not an external metal cartridge filter like most these days). There's also a paper gasket that seals that metal plate to the engine, so be careful when you pull that plate off otherwise you might ruin the gasket. The filter isn't a cartridge that screws on... but a paper filter that pops into a little window within your engine... it's held in place with a spring in the rear... and there is an o-ring which must be positioned in the front. good luck.

FYI, I used Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic 5W 40. Have used that oil for my scoots and motorcycles for years. Available at Walmart for $21/gal.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Spud wrote:
dalebor wrote:I don't think it's oil. It looks like the brown preservative (anti-corrosion) goop that LML puts on the Stella when they ship them out from India. It's hard to get off. At the suggestion of another forum member in another thread I used Hoppes #9 gun barrel cleaner and a small brass bristle parts cleaning brush on the aluminum of the engine/transmission. The goop came right off. Then I rinsed it with WD40 and then cleaned that off with engine degreaser and water.
Thanks for the info. :)
Yeah, it looks about like dried "cosmoline".. not sure how that is spelled, but if Hoppes #9 took it off, I bet it was.....I have a lot of old Military firearms that are covered in that stuff, some Carb cleaner and Hoppes works great.
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong