odd thing happened on the highway today

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EvilNerdLord

odd thing happened on the highway today

Post by EvilNerdLord »

First, my stella is a 12, less than 100 miles and i'm a larger rider.
So, it flat 2lane state highway about 10 miles out, i had just gotten her up to between 55-60 wide open as indicated on speedo and was dropping back down to 40-45 when the motor hesitated then quit as i grabbed a handful of clutch and got off the road. At first there was no starter but the rest of the electrics where ok and it kicked over first try. Checked gas and thanked the stranger that stopped to help and nursed it back it back home (shoulder and max 35) and one stall at a quick mart otherwise no further problems.
Any ideas what happened?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Did the motor quit or did the rear wheel lock up?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

No lock up, at first sign of trouble, like i said, grabbed a handful of clutch and rolled off the road So i didn't give it a chance...
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Fuel line too long and developing a kink while you are seated or a fuel tank not venting correctly, creating a vacuum.....either or both starving the carburetor of fuel.

Relax....four strokes don't seize.....it'll be a fuel delivery issue.

Rob
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Thanx, I'll trace the fuel line back from the carburetor and look for any sign.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

There is a short grey fuel line to the filter then a black one to the the petcock, where it attached at that it was kinked instead of a smooth loop... A little adjustment where it goes through the frame hanger and done!
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Well, there you go!

Have fun out there!

Rob
Bergerbot

Post by Bergerbot »

First, I would ask why in the world you would be going 55-60mph on a new engine on a state highway? That's a great way to seize your crankshaft and top end. You need to break the engine in for about 500 miles before doing speeds like that. Be safe :?
@Bergerbot
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

First, i dont do sustained speeds on the highway, i run around the neighborhood that gives me 0-35 speeds for most of what i do, but it never gets out of third, i jump on the two lane state highway headed out of town (long and flat for several miles) lets me bring it up to 55 and fourth gear then drop back down right away because it also comes to my turnoff spot to loop back on a farm road...gives me a route to run through all gears, full speed ranges AND NOTHING sustained for too long, i made Sure of that by the book, and not push it hard.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

First, i dont do sustained speeds on the highway, i run around the neighborhood that gives me 0-35 speeds for most of what i do, but it never gets out of third, i jump on the two lane state highway headed out of town (long and flat for several miles) lets me bring it up to 55 and fourth gear then drop back down right away because it also comes to my turnoff spot to loop back on a farm road...gives me a route to run through all gears, full speed ranges AND NOTHING sustained for too long, i made Sure of that by the book, and not push it hard.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »