2012 Stella rear wheel spacing

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dwnthehatch

2012 Stella rear wheel spacing

Post by dwnthehatch »

I recently picked up a '12 Stella 4T. Is it normal for the real wheel to be so canted? I compared it to my brother's 2T which is not perfectly centered but much better than the 4T. I'm aware that there are frame differences but want to make sure it's safe to ride. The dealer says it's normal. Thanks!

Last edited by dwnthehatch on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stASH

Post by stASH »

You sure the wheel is mounted in the correct direction? The flange around the rim that bolts to the hub is off-centered, so you may have it backwards.
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

Thanks for the reply. The wheel is definitely mounted correctly.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

It could be your fender is tweaked??? How does it ride?? can you go free handed?? seem ok?? If so, Id try and twist your rear fender a bit to re-center...
good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

jimmbomb wrote:It could be your fender is tweaked??? How does it ride?? can you go free handed?? seem ok?? If so, Id try and twist your rear fender a bit to re-center...
good luck
I didn't think of that. Thanks. I only put about 1 mile on it since I picked it up. It seemed ok for the short distance I rode it. It's been snowing and have not had a chance to ride it. The dealer stated they are all like that. I have been unable to find a pic of one online from the rear. Looks like I may have to make a 2.5 hr trip to the dealer and back to confirm this.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

As I look at it, it has nothing to do with spacing, it's canted/tilted.
The dealer stated they are all like that.
I'd tell them B*ll S*it on that and take it back, no way should a wheel be tilted in that manner. Ask for the name & email address for their Genuine Rep so you can send the photo to them.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Put it up on the kickstand and put a level against the wheel/tire combo and check for plumb. A tweaked rear fender could play tricks to our eyes with your photo. .. too bad you cant ride it around to see if it feels squirrely... ..

As I mentally draw straight lines down from each side of your seat....I see that on the kicker side... The fender is a little further out than the spare side...
Maybe me eyes are tricked as well..
Good luck
J H
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Can you give us a side shot of how it is mounted?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll find a small level(the one I have is too long) and get some pics. I rode it a little today and it feels fine.

A little more info on the scooter. It's 1 of 7 built for a giveaway for National Bohemian beer and delivered to the local dealer so I can fill out the paperwork. I'm most likely driving back there tomorrow to take a look at the other Stellas on the showroom floor. It's easier than worrying about it.

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Still need a shot of how the tire is mounted. Left side looking at the hub. On the photo shoeing the vertical level it looks like it is square to the motor.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

yeah.. take photos of both sides of the rear wheel and also show the air valve in the shots too...
Some are still not convinced that the wheel may be on back-ass-wards.. hahaha

put your level flat against the battery side of your wheel. touching both sides 180 degrees apart on the same side of the wheel.. check for level.. if it's level, then I still hold that your rear fender is cocked over.
J H
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'd be checking the top of the rear shock mount. It almost looks like the shock isn't fully made up to the upper mount making it too long. It's pretty hard to tweek the rear "fender" without it being obvious.
www.teamscootertrash.com

dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

I just looked at a picture of another 12 Stella from the giveaway. The rear wheel is exactly the same. I didn't make it to the dealer but I'm guessing it's normal on the 4T Stellas.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

dwnthehatch wrote:I just looked at a picture of another 12 Stella from the giveaway. The rear wheel is exactly the same. I didn't make it to the dealer but I'm guessing it's normal on the 4T Stellas.
Let's see those photos of the sides of your real wheel with the air valve
J H
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

jimmbomb wrote:
dwnthehatch wrote:I just looked at a picture of another 12 Stella from the giveaway. The rear wheel is exactly the same. I didn't make it to the dealer but I'm guessing it's normal on the 4T Stellas.
Let's see those photos of the sides of your real wheel with the air valve