New 4T exhaust from Tasso

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

New 4T exhaust from Tasso

Post by ericalm »

Well, even ordering from the UK, this came out to be less than the other performance exhausts I could find for the 4T, $237 shipped.

That seems like a lot but it's about the same as the Gianelli pipe (without shipping) and much less than the Pinasco at $430 (before shipping).

So, what the heck. I'll give this a try. I need a better pipe.

http://www.lmlparts.co.uk/cgi-bin/store ... =&uid=1046
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

I've been testing the 200 version for them which is pretty much the same exhaust.

It sounds good,loud but good. You will definitely need to up jet,the bore of the pipe if huge compared to the standard exhaust or even the Gianelli.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Sweet!
listless

Post by listless »

Loud? Why does everyone want loud?

I just want a little more power and a pipe that doesn't break apart
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

listless wrote:Loud? Why does everyone want loud?

I just want a little more power and a pipe that doesn't break apart

Lots of people like loud pipes.
I do because I want people to hear me coming.

Car and bike shows bring out the loud pipes. It's a show.
They expect a show. Lots of folks are counting on people with loud pipes.
I try not to disappoint.
Good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

There is a video of it running here,the pipe also comes with a DB killer which makes it a little more 'neighbour friendly'.

http://youtu.be/xUKQpdcl6tU
toot

Post by toot »

Post pics of install and jet change... Make it a HOW TO!!! That way I can do it myself when I need a New Exhaust :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Install tomorrow! It's a pretty direct bolt-on. Looks like it can be oriented for right or left sides. I haven't ordered jets; I'll have to see if the local guys have any or wait to rejet.

The pipe appears very solid and well-made.
Attachments
tasso_4t-small.jpg
tasso_4t-small.jpg (101.53 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

More pictures! Hopefully it looks better than the pics on the website, with the ugly, lumpy welds.

Why is it that the easiest performance mod is the one thing that WILL void your warranty.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

"Void your warranty" is pretty relative. Basically, if something not related to the exhaust goes bad or if you have a problem that can't be traced to the exhaust you should be covered.

I have a few more pics that I'll post. The install is easy as can be. The mounting is pretty basic, a U-bolt and bracket. I may fashion something more attractive and functional later.

The sound is nice. Quiet at idle, nice, satisfying rumble under throttle.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aoz7fSD4wfM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Removing the cat is the one thing that will void your warranty outright.

Sounds sort of like a 2T, unless that's the video.

Did you upjet? I'd suspect it might need quite a bit more fuel, that thing looks like basically a glasspack.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

That sounds like a 2t????

I dont think so, Tim
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll be upjetting to a 92 or 95. Plug looks pretty good, though, all things considered. A tad lean.

It doesn't have the rhythm of a 2t and it's not as loud as many. It's a deeper, richer sound than stock and is louder when revved. Just not TOO loud.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

I'm assuming the installation was pretty straight-forward.... are you still able to keep the spare on the side? Any noticeable difference in how the Stella rides?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's pretty straightforward. Yup, you can keep the spare.

The holes in the included bracket were too small for the bolt that goes through the swingarm, so I had to widen one of them. It's secure, for now, but I still want to fashion something better together. Shouldn't be too hard, even for me.

Performance wise, hard to tell. Maybe a tiny improvement. But I haven't rejetted or done anything to the air filter yet. I have a Ram Air I may add after the rejetting. Ordered #92 and #95 main jets and two larger idle jets.

But it's running at least as good as stock now. The air/fuel was already dialed a bit richer than stock setup.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

I wouldn't ride it too much until you rejet. The factory jetting is a tad lean, probably not too bad in hot Cali, with a pipe you're probably way too lean. I'd guess you'll probably have to use the 95 main jet. On my Stella it was a touch lean with the stock 90 main so I went up to a 92, runs better now, everything stock. Idle will probably go up one step. Just be prepared for a lot of trial and error and taking apart the carb. If you haven't already, grab a handful of replacement plugs to take clean readings off of.

Also, I said it sounds sort of like a 2T (in the video), with a higher, raspier note than a usual 4T exhaust. You definitely wouldn't be mistaking it for a 2T at all. As Eric said, it's actually deeper than the stock exhaust, so the audio on the video is off.
srbbnd

Agreed

Post by srbbnd »

toot wrote:Post pics of install and jet change... Make it a HOW TO!!! That way I can do it myself when I need a New Exhaust :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
misterbrackets

Re: Agreed

Post by misterbrackets »

srbbnd wrote:
toot wrote:Post pics of install and jet change... Make it a HOW TO!!! That way I can do it myself when I need a New Exhaust :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
This video will essentially show you how to do that (carb jet cleaning portion):
http://vimeo.com/20618680
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

They have got new hangers made up and are sending them out for people to retrofit.

Here is a quick review I wrote for the LML owners club -

It's early days for this exhaust and I know that Tasso are listening to customer feedback and improving the design as they go a long so if you buy one and think that it could be improved in some way let them know.

-Build quality.

The exhaust feels solid,the metal is thick without being too heavy (it weighs less than the standard exhaust) and it feel like it could survive a few winters (only time will tell).

The machined manifolds are a thing of beauty.

-Fit.

This is probably what lets the exhaust down the most. The pipe comes with a strip of metal with holes in it which you have to bend to shape around your exhaust to create a kind of hanger. You then use the shorter bolt supplied to bolt the 'hanger' to itself around the exhaust and the longer of the bolts is used to bolt the hanger to the swing arm.

Bending the plate is a bit of a pain in the arse and it took me a fair few attempts until I got it into the right shape. The fitting instructions could do with a diagram. I also scratched the paint of the exhaust a fair bit in the process of bending the plate (Tasso are aware of this issue).

The longer bolt to attach the hanger to the swing arm is a smaller diameter than the hole in the swing arm. Some people would be happy with this but back in the day I used a thinner bolt to attach an exhaust to my old 2t and it ended up wearing it's way through the swing arm.

I decided to drill out the hole in the hanger and use a standard size swing arm bolt and nut that I had spare.

In the end I gave up on all the bending and Tasso sent me a pre-bent strip of metal which made life much easier.

I know they are looking into alternative ways of supporting the exhaust at the swing arm.

The tricky part with fitting the exhaust is there are a lot of variables. The position on the hanger on the pipe,the angle the tail pipe point (up/down),how far the curved tail pipe is pushed on to the down pipe,which side of the swing arm the hanger sits,the angle of the down pipe from manifold. Tou also have to insure the tail pipe clears both rear and spare tyre (which it does if angles correctly).

This means the pipe doesn't just bolt on it more a case of bolt on,adjust,adjust,adjust.

Tasso have designed the pipe this way so that users can configure it how they want it but in my opinion people would much rather have a one piece pipe with welded bracket that was quick,simple and easy to fit. They have taken this on board.

My test ride was cut short because when I pulled over to check everything was ok I noticed the tail pipe had dropped a fair amount and was pointing down towards the road. I pulled it back up again and road home (over about 4 speed bumps) and when I got home the pipe had dropped again.

The tail pipe on the 200 model is a fair bit longer than the 125/150 model which means there is a fair bit of unsupported weight/twisting force at the tail end of the pipe. I am not sure if the U bolt is enough to stop this 'droopage'. I reported this back to Tasso and hopefully the new 'hanger' will solve this issue.

-Sound.

Tasso have been experimenting a lot to get the sound right and all the experimenting has paid off.

The pipe sounds meaty without being stupidly loud. You could happily ride down a residential street late at night without pissing the neighbours off too much but when you open the throttle it growls !

Performance-

There was no obvious performance boost from the exhaust although it seem to vibrate a lot less than a standard exhaust. I will be booking the scoot in at a dyno to get some science based numbers at some point in the future.

My scooter has a ram air filter fitted with a 95 main jet which to me felt spot on.

Summary-

It's a solid feeling,cheap to buy alternative to the other exhaust for the 4t on the market. The general 'brief' Tasso were working to was to create an exhaust that won't fall apart every six months,that sounds good and performs better than standard.

I think they have managed this and the price is fantastic but I do think there are a few little design problems that need ironing out.

If you have never fitted a scooter exhaust before then get someone who has to help you because this one is a little tricky.

For now I have re-fitted my standard exhaust. My scooter is my soul method of transport and I use it every day so I can't risk having something work loose while I am heading to do my weekly shop.

Luckily Tasso are being very proactive and improving the design based on customer feedback so it won't be long before they get it perfect.

(This review is based on my personal experience,other peoples experiences may differ)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hope they're willing to send the new hanger international post!

I don't love the U-bolt. I may have something machined.

Honestly, stock performance would be fine by me. I just need a sturdier exhaust than stock.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

ericalm wrote:Hope they're willing to send the new hanger international post!

Honestly, stock performance would be fine by me. I just need a sturdier exhaust than stock.
Sturdier than stock was what they were aiming for when they developed it and yeh I agree the mounting hardware really does let it down.

I am thinking about modifying a stock exhaust,removing the cats,strengthening the swing arm bracket and finding a way of making it less likely to rust every time it goes near water.
TheFatBlackWasp

Rejetting info on a stock carb?

Post by TheFatBlackWasp »

Is this re-jetting information based on a stock carburetor? I'm about to do the upgrades you just described--the ram air filter with the Tasso exhaust and wanted to go ahead and get the jetting done right away.
Spemoni

Post by Spemoni »

I have 500 miles on my 2013 Stella with a sidecar.
I'm torn between the Tasso RIP and the GPR LML.2FUAO.MCP239.
Both will cost me virtually the same.
From what I've read, up-jetting will be the same for either exhaust also.
Has anyone compared these two exhausts????
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Rejetting info on a stock carb?

Post by ericalm »

TheFatBlackWasp wrote:

Is this re-jetting information based on a stock carburetor? I'm about to do the upgrades you just described--the ram air filter with the Tasso exhaust and wanted to go ahead and get the jetting done right away.
Yup, stock carb..

Tried the 95 main and 42 pilot. I need to check the plug and put in the new air filter, but I suspect it's not getting enough air. It starts to sputter at WOT in the lower gears. Trial and error. Very easy to swap; easier than getting to the fraggin' dabpdnabbit air filter. Hopefully get back in it tomorrow night.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Spemoni wrote:I have 500 miles on my 2013 Stella with a sidecar.
I think I would go for the GPR if it was available for the 200 because I prefer how it looks and the quality seems better.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Tipper wrote:
Spemoni wrote:I have 500 miles on my 2013 Stella with a sidecar.
I think I would go for the GPR if it was available for the 200 because I prefer how it looks and the quality seems better.
I'm surprised they don't. Is the 200 not as popular? I know Britain has a two tier mc license system (under 125cc/over 125cc), but do other parts of Europe, making the 125/150 more popular?

Also, I just bought the GPR exhaust, was going to buy it off of Ebay but the seller removed the listing. Then I found it on Amazon from the same seller, but cheaper ($241 shipped vs $299 shipped). Hopefully Italian airplanes are as fast as their cars and scooters, lol.

Eric, does it stall/hesitate when you open the throttle to WOT quickly or does it sputter/die/misfire when at WOT?
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

I spoke to GPR about it and they said that they havent been able to get hold of 200 to use while developing the exhaust.

I tried finding someone on the Italian forum who was willing to lend GPR their scooter but didnt have any luck.

As far as I know the 200 4t is now the best selling LML model in Europe although I think the Auto with soon take over.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Tipper wrote:I spoke to GPR about it and they said that they havent been able to get hold of 200 to use while developing the exhaust.

I tried finding someone on the Italian forum who was willing to lend GPR their scooter but didnt have any luck.

As far as I know the 200 4t is now the best selling LML model in Europe although I think the Auto with soon take over.
I wish the 200 was sold over here, but Genuine isn't willing to pay the money to get it EPA certified. So I bought a 150. Already planning on the Polini 165cc cylinder, maybe swap out the gearing to the 2T/EFL gearing. Tomorrow, I'm going to take off the intake manifold and smooth the inside, might net me a little boost, especially at high RPM, by reducing intake turbulence.

The reasons I chose the GPR over the Tasso or Polini, was stainless steel/aluminum vs powder coated steel, and that the GPR doesn't require disassembly to change the rear tire.
Spemoni

Post by Spemoni »

Thanks everyone regarding Tasso vs GPR. Fit and finish are as important as function if the difference in function between Tasso and GPR is negligible. Have a fun and safe 4TH!!!!
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:...I wish the 200 was sold over here, but Genuine isn't willing to pay the money to get it EPA certified. So I bought a 150. Already planning on the Polini 165cc cylinder....
I bit the bullet and ordered one of these yesterday. I'll probably start a new thread when I install it so others can learn from and avoid my mistakes :)
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

So Eric, is the RAM air filter that replaces the stock worth it? Does it seem to have a higher flow than the stock?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:Eric, does it stall/hesitate when you open the throttle to WOT quickly or does it sputter/die/misfire when at WOT?
Just sputtering at sustained WOT in lower gears. But… I got rid of it.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:So Eric, is the RAM air filter that replaces the stock worth it? Does it seem to have a higher flow than the stock?
Seems like it, yeah.

I installed the Ram, richened the air/fuel mix, and it's running much more smoothly now. No sputtering, a little pop on occasion when I decelerate. Performance has picked up, too.
matto

Post by matto »

I just ordered the RH version of the Tasso and the RamAir. This may be a dumb question but which 95 jets did you order exactly? I don't want to get the wrong ones and it seems like there are more options than I thought there would be.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Keihin 99101-116. I'd suggest a 95, 98 and possibly 100. You might need a bigger idle jet, also. Keihin N424-74C fit, and they work for most people (I couldn't get it to work), sizes 42 and 45 should be good.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I got two sizes up in each jet and went straight for the largest ones. I'm going to dial back the main to the 95 and see how it does. Running pretty rich now.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

With the stock carb and the GPR exhaust, I was at a 100 main, but I thought that was too rich. Since I couldn't get the idle jet sorted, I switched to the Polini 22mm Mikuni carb.
matto

Post by matto »

Back on the road! Seems like it pulls more, sounds nice but pops when decelerated. May have lost 5 mph off the top speed. Not sure what to do about that.

Image 8)
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

matto wrote:Back on the road! Seems like it pulls more, sounds nice but pops when decelerated. May have lost 5 mph off the top speed. Not sure what to do about that.

Image 8)
The V2 certainly looks a lot more finished than the V1. Sounds like you need to upjet and maybe adjust the needle. Drop Tasso an email or a message on LML UK facebook group and they should be able to advise.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Popping on deceleration is usually an over rich idle setting. What is your mixture screw setting? IMHO you don't need to upjet the pilot jet( sometimes called idle jet) unless you've changed the engine internally or switched to An open air filter.

I would imagine a jet of 2-4 points up being the maximum needed with some bikes needing no up jetting at all. I have a friend with a chetak and a poc pipe. He down jetted and it's the best running bajaj I've ever encountered.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
matto

Post by matto »

I left the Pilot Jet alone, however, I did upjet the main from 90 to 95. My air mixture screw was set at about 1 1/2 turns. After several test runs I was able to determine that the addition of the ram air filter and tasso exhaust had added enough air to require 1 turn. I am now back up to 60 mph instead of 55.

There is still quite a bit of pop on the deceleration which does indicate a rich mixture, but I kind of like it 8)
toot

No rejet

Post by toot »

Eric. Read that exhaust is tuned to stock on web site. What would happen if you just bolted on and did not rejet? No other upgrades on engine. Would it run like crap?? :roll:
Sach

Post by Sach »

I dig!
Is there a 2t version of that?
Cangurito

Post by Cangurito »

Hello Ericalm,

I have read in the post regarding "idle jet N424-74C spare is incorrect" that you were running rich and decided to go back to the stock idle jet (size 40 with 6 holes). My question is ..was the spare idle jet an 8 holes (was size 42?)

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak reported in the topic this could be probably the reason because he was running rich and it became hard to get the carburettor well tunned.

Can you share with us some news about the state of your current tunning, how it is configured (Main jet, Idle jet, straight air filter or modified stock filter, exhaust was Tasso?) and how it is working?

I would like to upgrade with GPR exhaust with re-jetting of the stock carb and mod of the air filter too, but i would like to know if someone else experienced same problems with those spare idle jets with 8 holes.

Any help is highly appreciated,

Saludos.