New 2013 Stella. Uber exited. Any Mods CDI, etc?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Snyderxploit

New 2013 Stella. Uber exited. Any Mods CDI, etc?

Post by Snyderxploit »

Was looking to buy a Stella but the price was to high, at least for me. But then i found a great deal for a new one. Only paid 2600$ out the door. Comes with two year warranty and roadside assistance. How could i just let this one go. So I Purchased my 2013 Stella about a month ago. But just started riding it the past two weeks. This is my first scooter. Took me a bit to get use to the shifting. But now its nothing but a subconscious act of riding my Stella. Got tired of paying 70$ a week to ride my old 65 Falcon Wagon just from home to work/school and back, 5 days week (30 miles around trip). It was killing me. Now I already put almost 300 miles and only about 3 gallons of gas. I am uber happy with it. I installed and modified a old beat up PX cowl protector bars to fit on mine. Just a cut, reshape he bar a bit, insert longer bracket to clear cowl, and weld back together. Also made my own rear rack from 1/2 tube and it only cost me 10$ plus my own time and labor, which for me is no big deal. I couldn't get around the idea of paying 150$ for a rear rack. Now the next step I am Thinking is a CDI and COIL. Any ideas. I am not one to put to much accessories and after market parts on it. i just want a good little runner for riding a round. maybe a little more push when i need it (up hills). I still have the warranty so i don't want to Void it out by installing a pipe, bigger piston, etc. But the CDI looks like just plug and play and removed when i need too if necessary. In advance and thanks for the help in advance.... I tried to add some pictures but i am not able or allowed to. Any advice.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

YES... PM me and send me pics of YOUR rack design and I'll lost it up here for you in this thread... IF, I like the rack... I'll ask you to build me one and send you some $$$ and ship it!
Congrats on your new scoot!!!

PS.. for addings photos... You can get a "Photobucket".com account or the like...
put your photo there... then you can get a "link" to the photo after it's there...
then you post your photo in this reply box by pressing the "Img" button just under the 'subject' box
it will look like this .. Image

your link will appear bettween the Image
then hit 'preview' to make sure it's working.
good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Snyderxploit

Post by Snyderxploit »

Well here are some pictures. I hope i did it correctly. Thanks for the help JimmBomb for the help.

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

You bike looks great.
Good job on making your own rack.. It looks factory.
Very nice!
J H
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Any chance of manufacturing a few of those racks for those of us who don't know how to weld?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Looks good, Well done on the rack....
quen047

Post by quen047 »

That looks fantastic. Love the black rack

And $2600??? That's a steal. The new auto Stellas must be killing the shifties. I got mine at SF Scooter Centre in Oct 2012 and they still have two new 2-tone 2012's that have been sitting on the showroom floor since I bought mine.
ankdworak

Stainless?

Post by ankdworak »

Is that stainless steel stock that you used to build the rack and cowl protectors?
Looks great. You are talented with the welder.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I have been hanging around on the LML Owners Club Great Britain forum, and those guys say that the cheapest, least invasive performance mods for the 4T are:

1) PLUG: AOR14LGS Brisk High Performance Motor Cycle Special Silver Electrode Spark Plug - Ebay UK item#: 360394108178

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360394108178?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

2) Ramair 40mm foam air filter:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... VMR003.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAMAIR-Lambre ... 5aeb40ec9e

and 3) Orange coil (Tasso) - HT Coil Hi Power with plug cap - Part No: VE50053

http://www.lmlparts.co.uk/cgi-bin/store ... &uid=17392

I have the plug and filter for my Stella 4T, and the coil is on order .

As for a CDI... the only thing that is offered is a CDI without a rev limiter. Given that the 4T has a timing chain and rockers, I am not really sure that removing rev limits is a good idea.

After that, you really have to go to a performance exhaust, re-jetting, and the king of them all: a Malossi 165 kit. But that is $$$.
Snyderxploit

Post by Snyderxploit »

Well Finally had time to get on here.

Thanks Slotrod65 for the info on the upgrades. Order the Coil and Sparkplug. Should be arriving sometime next week. Other than that I am going to maybe install the Ramair filter. Been reading around that its a bit louder with it on. I am not much for loud. Not even on my Ford Falcon. I like the "Sleeper" approach.

As for the rear rack. Thanks everyone for the complements. Its made out of 1/2 inch round stock steel. I could try to make some for the members on here. But as of today, time is kind of hard to find. trying to juggle school and work, I hardly have anytime to do anything else. But if i get the chance ill let the ones interested know.
toot

Post by toot »

Talked to that because dealer is blowing out Stellas I guess.... But I got same price too at a different dealer. Not much want for Stella in our area... Too bad they are a sweet ride :D :D :D :D
DanielDCB

Post by DanielDCB »

Wondering if there's a US distributor for Tasso products, or if you purchased your coil from lmlparts in the UK as the link suggests.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Great looking scooter! I am certainly excited. :wink:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice scooter!

My suggestion would be to break it in and have the first service done before any mods.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Snyderxploit wrote:Well Finally had time to get on here.

Thanks Slotrod65 for the info on the upgrades. Order the Coil and Sparkplug. Should be arriving sometime next week. Other than that I am going to maybe install the Ramair filter. Been reading around that its a bit louder with it on. I am not much for loud. Not even on my Ford Falcon. I like the "Sleeper" approach.

As for the rear rack. Thanks everyone for the complements. Its made out of 1/2 inch round stock steel. I could try to make some for the members on here. But as of today, time is kind of hard to find. trying to juggle school and work, I hardly have anytime to do anything else. But if i get the chance ill let the ones interested know.
Another cheap, effective and simple upgrade is upjetting the carb to a 92 main jet. (Oh, and I used to have a '65 Falcon.)
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Nice looking scooter, and that rear rack is freaking fantastic. Props!
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Adding a small washer under the needle helps out the low-mid range greatly.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

avescoots1134 wrote:Adding a small washer under the needle helps out the low-mid range greatly.
Care to do a "DIY" on how to do that procedure??
thanks
J H
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Noticed that the ReadSpeed adjustable CDI had been overlooked here. Tipper has mentioned it before and it seems to help a little with performance:

http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shop ... 6130-p.asp

I think the LML UK owners have commented that "6" was a good setting.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Snyderxploit

Post by Snyderxploit »

Well I finally got back on here after forgetting my password and user name. But i figured it out....with time. Well an update on the Stella. First the rack I built has been great. I wish i would have wrote specs in order to do a DIY for those who want to tackle it. But I might try to build a slightly bigger one in the next month or two. If that is the case I definitely will do a DIY with specs, measurements, and of course lots and lots of pictures. But as for the upgrades the only thing i have changed is the coil for a hi performance one and the spark plug as well and of course SIP tubeless rims and tire combo.Az_slynch, that CDI you mention sounds like a new addition Ill take a look and see what pros and cons it carries. So far they are all treating me nice. But the Stella has broken down on me twice with only 3000 miles on it. One problem was the Gear Selector box lever broke off and and of course today i was riding around 40 MPH on 4th gear them suddenly BOOM..CLACK CLACK CLACK!!!No gears no nothing. Motor stays on but no gears, all i hear is broken metal turning and turning inside. So i towed it to the nearest Genuine repair center (scooter dynasty). Told me that its the clutch and Genuine might not cover it if it is the clutch. But to me its sounds more sever than just a simple clutch. But I hope it does cover it cause if not they want to charge me 600-700 to repair it :cry: :cry: :cry: . If that the case i'll just take it home and try to tackle that on my own. Has anyone have experience changing the clutch and any videos or links they suggest for parts and how to. Im not sure if PX clutches work on a 4T. Thanks in advance.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Pulling the clutch is pretty basic. You will need a clutch holding tool, I don't know if the 4T uses a castelated nut or not. If it does you will ned the nut tool also.
If it has asploded the retaining ring may have broken off and that's what you heard falling through the gears. If that is what happened then you will also need a way to hold the flywheel to get the clutch nut off.

I would pull the clutch and see what is missing.

I think it's important to remind people that there are few mods that are bullet proof. It doesn't sound like what you have done should have blown it up...unless you have been running high revs and/or low gear lube.

Anytime you start playing with mods you have to be prepared to blow up a motor...or two.
Last edited by BuddyRaton on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

az_slynch wrote:Noticed that the ReadSpeed adjustable CDI had been overlooked here. Tipper has mentioned it before and it seems to help a little with performance:

I hate you. ;)
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Stilts wrote:
az_slynch wrote:Noticed that the ReadSpeed adjustable CDI had been overlooked here. Tipper has mentioned it before and it seems to help a little with performance:

I hate you. ;)
I hate the fact that my 4T still has less than 20 miles on it. Need to get crackin' on that.

I may order two of those CDIs in February. If you still need one, I'll order an extra and save you the shipping.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Stilts

Post by Stilts »

az_slynch wrote:
Stilts wrote:

I hate you. ;)
I hate the fact that my 4T still has less than 20 miles on it. Need to get crackin' on that.

I may order two of those CDIs in February. If you still need one, I'll order an extra and save you the shipping.
I wouldn't be ordering one until then anyways so PM me when you make the order!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Stilts wrote: I wouldn't be ordering one until then anyways so PM me when you make the order!
I'll keep you posted. :)

Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Cheaper alternative to the readspeed

http://www.lmlparts.co.uk/cgi-bin/store ... 27&ref_id=
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

$2600!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry:
I paid way more, but I did get...
Front and rear rack
Topcase
Cover
Windshield
and a helmet.
But still...
:cry: :cry: :cry:
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
Deemotored

Post by Deemotored »

Looks great! I hope you get it sorted out soon. I have an auto Stella. I have had some weird issues with it as well so it's ALMOST like having a classic. At least you'll learn how to fix things. :)