Living with a Stella/no storage-------Stella vs. Buddy

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dantegiani

Living with a Stella/no storage-------Stella vs. Buddy

Post by Dantegiani »

Hello all,
Newbie here with some questions. Tried searching for answers but nothing was exactly what I needed. However, there is clearly a tremendous amount of Stella/General scooter knowledge here so I look forward to any replies!

I am currently looking for a first scooter (so excited) for a sub 5 mile commute on surface streets in west LA. I have narrowed it down to the buddy 125 and the Stella Auto. (Still kind of considering the Symba 100 {and to an even lesser extent the fiddle ii} but both are slipping my mind more often as the Buddy/Stella seem like a better choice)

Here are my questions:
  • Does the lack of underseat storage really damper the Stella's ability to perform as an everyday commuter / errand runner?
    (Can you fit a grocery bag on it somewhere without a trunk? I was thinking maybe on the floor by my feet but I don't know if that's possible?)
  • can anyone compare living with the Buddy vs Living with the Stella? I love the look of the Stella so much but I am worried abut the storage and use of the Stella. (Any input about the Symba 100 or fiddle is much appreciated as well)
Thank you so much in advance,
Dante
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The Stella and the Buddy are very different scooters. The metal body and old school appearance of the Stella give it some special charm. The Buddy, on the other hand, is modern, reliable, and no fuss (also quite small frame and best for the smaller rider). I would not recommend a Stella to someone who is not comfortable with doing some of their own maintenance and repairs. If storage is your priority, either scooter can be fitted with a topcase. (my comments assume you are talking about the auto Stella - if you are considering a manual shift, then the two scooters are really apples and oranges)
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Get the Stella, it is awesome. You can fit quite a bit of stuff in the front container, get a rear rack and put a roll bag on it. It will fit enough stuff for groceries if you are single. Might have to make an extra trip if you want a 12 pack.
Ootscoot

Post by Ootscoot »

I ride both. I have a top case on both, so I find either one practical for my needs. The Stella has the large glove box and the hook under the front of the seat, but does not have a flat floor for placing items. The Buddy has the under seat as well as the glove bin - so a bit more storage.
The Stella auto is heavier but strong and smooth - feels like riding a Jeep, where the Buddy is light, nimble and feels like riding a little sports car.
I feel that the Stella is more visible. And I definatly like the classy style.
Ex-Scooter dealer, current scooter rider, scooter owner...
Dantegiani

Post by Dantegiani »

Alright you guys have convinced me. Stella it is. Thank you all for the quick replies! I don't know much about working on scooters but I work on my car from time to time and I'm excited to learn. Srbbnd, never heard of a roll bag until now. It looks like exactly what I need!

Very excited to get going
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

You should also get a small cargo net. Let me tell you, it makes a huge difference for using the back part of your seat as storage.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I have a Stella, and I grocery shop with it all the time. I am able to carry one or two grocery bags on the helmet hook, in between my feet, and I also have a rear rack onto which I zip tie a basket when needed. When I am done grocery shopping: snip-snip and no basket. I also have worn a messenger bag in which I have carried at various times: two half gallons of milk, two half gallons of ice cream, a six pack of beer. With all options deployed I have carried six full bags of groceries. I agree about the cargo net as well. It is cheap, and allows me to carry all sorts of stuff either on the rear rack, or against my tall backrest.
Dantegiani

Post by Dantegiani »

Awesome! So glad that it can be such a good errand runner. That was the only thing that was holding me back. The zip tied basket is also genius for larger items. Snip snip ha ha.

Any body know roughly what the top speed is with a 200 pound guy? How's the acceleration? It won't change my mind even if it's very slow but I'm just curious.

Also does everyone think it would be okay to get a second hand Stella. Or should I grab one new?
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

The latter question depends on what you want.

Stella Auto might be difficult to find second-hand, as they are still very new to the market. Plus, you get that delicious 2-year warranty and 2 year roadside assistance with a New Stella.

If you want something that shifts (manual transmission), then a used one might be a good option if the price is right. Just make sure you know what maintenance was done on it!
Dantegiani

Post by Dantegiani »

Thanks Yalzin!
Yeah I was looking around my area and there are definitely no used Stella autos. I like the ease of the auto however. I drive stick and wouldn't change that for anything. Do you have experience with both the auto and the shifty?
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I am 195, and my stock Stella shifter has a top sped of 60mph on flat level ground with no wind. That being said, 45-50 mph is a much more comfortable speed due to the small wheels and relatively vertical steering angle.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Dantegiani wrote:Thanks Yalzin!
Yeah I was looking around my area and there are definitely no used Stella autos. I like the ease of the auto however. I drive stick and wouldn't change that for anything. Do you have experience with both the auto and the shifty?
I work at a Genuine Dealership, so I have some experience with the AutoStella.

I also own a Shifty 4t Stella, and love it to pieces (despite it being ready for disassembly for a warranty repair :( ).

But there are plenty of more knowledgeable people than me around here :)
Dantegiani

Post by Dantegiani »

Awesome. I'm jealous of your Stellaness. What anti theft features (if any) does the Stella have? Does it have a locking wheel!?
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle? If you can do that, shifting a Stella is easier, since you shift with your hands only. If not, if you can drive stick, you can easily learn to drive a shifty scoot. One of the reasons I settled on my Stella in 2013 was for because it was a shifter. I have never even seen a Stella auto, so I cannot be any help there.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Stella comes with a locking steering column, but I have heard they can be broken. I also have a Grip lock that locks my throttle and break. You can also get disc wheel locks.

Here is the lonk to the grip lock

http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Lock-Motorcy ... B0046QSKCO
Dantegiani

Post by Dantegiani »

Slotrod65,
Never ridden a motorcycle but I understand it pretty well. Always driven stick so I think it would be fine. But as my first scoot I might go with the auto. Also because LA=traffic. Thanks for the info about locks. That grip lock looks pretty great. Disc locks seem like a neuscence to me so the combo of the grip lock and the factory steering lick hopefully will be enough to deter thieves!

Is it a pretty zippy scooter? Does one pull away from traffic at the lights?
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

You won't beat anyone in a drag race with a Stella. It is not a pig, but if anyone wants to pass you, they will.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

The Stella Autos are very quick off the line, much better than the shifties..
comparable to the buddys
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Dantegiani

Post by Dantegiani »

Awesome. Exactly what I wanted to hear as the main thing that allured me about the buddy was the acceleration. But man the Stella is just on another level of looks, style, and just romance of it. Can't wait.

Anyone done any engine/exhaust/cvt mods that are worth mentioning in terms of speed, acceleration, or general awesomeness?

Yalzin! You said you work at a genuine dealership!? Any chance it's in LA! Would love to get you that commission/chat. Also any rough estimations on how much a new Stella auto would be out the door? I know the Msrp but I'm guessing that's fairly different than the out the door cost.

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Dantegiani wrote:Yalzin! You said you work at a genuine dealership!? Any chance it's in LA! Would love to get you that commission/chat.

(You can post your location as part of your profile - usually a good idea as it let's others respond to your questions based on where you are)
Dantegiani

Post by Dantegiani »

Should have looked! Thanks for the tip!
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

I could only tell you what we sell them for, not what to expect based on your specific dealership - shipping costs vary, shop rates vary, taxes, other mandatory things for the state...

But feel free to PM me any time :) I love chatting about scoots.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Again, I have a Stella shifter, with a GPR exhaust, a Ramair 40mm foam air filter, a Tasso Hi Power "orange" HT Coil, a : AOR14LGS Brisk High Performance Motor Cycle Special Silver Electrode Spark Plug, and I have up jetted the carb. Do I have more performance, yeah... more pulling power in the mid range, but I am not doing burnouts or anything.

If you want to know more about upgrades, esp with the auto, check out our sister group in the UK. They really are enthusiastic and have the auto sorted out. The only downside is that a lot of their performance parts must be ordered from the UK. Still, there is a lot of great reading:

http://lmlocgb.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

That being said, I am having a blast doing my own maintenance and performance upgrades. A Stella is a hell of a lot cheaper than a vintage 50's or 60's car.
Ootscoot

Post by Ootscoot »

As I mentioned earlier I ride both the Stella Auto and the Buddy 170i, both are strong and quick off the line. The Stella tops out at around 55, the Buddy keeps going...
I also sell them at my shop in Santa Barbara - both are the same price - $3200 plus tax. We don't tack on freight, dealer prep, or doc fees.
Ex-Scooter dealer, current scooter rider, scooter owner...
Dantegiani

Post by Dantegiani »

Slotrod!! Thanks so much for info and link very helpful. Once I get her I'll be ordering some UK parts.

Ootscoot, you most likely just got yourself a new costumer. What's the shop called. As I said I live in LA but Santa barbers would be a nice vacation. Especially if it entailed a new Stella!