Readspeed CDI link

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gburbank

Readspeed CDI link

Post by gburbank »

For anyone interested in trying the readspeed CDI with adjustable timing and timing that adjusts according to engine rpms that tried to order it directly from their site, no, you don't have to pay 173 british pounds to buy and have it shipped to you. Here is the link to their ebay site, where with shipping it works out to $73 US dollars delivered.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lambretta-LML ... 1368560312?
stella 4t 200 cc engine, tasso pipe and timing slider, ram-air filter and sidecar
stella auto, bone stock
stella 4t 200cc with readspeed CDI, unmodified stock engine
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

I have a question, how well does the Tasso timing slider works? Is it worth the $40+?
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

I have ordered thousands of dollars of scooter parts from Adam at Tasso, and I trust his opinion. I had initially ordered his adjustable CDI and then switched to Tasso's timing slider instead when he told me that he had rejected the current batch due to poor quality control (chinese). Tasso has a great reputation that they work hard to maintain, and Adam won't sell something questionable. The slider works well, can't fail, but advances the ignition to a set degree when you install it. It is not something you would move again once you get the motor tuned correctly. They test and stand behind their products, so if you order their adjustable CDI it should do the job as advertised. I went with the Readspeed model because scooterists on LMLCOGB's forum sing their praises, and Readspeed is a scooter performance tuning shop that has probably blown up more than a few scooter engines along the way to finding a good product. They regularly do dyno testing on customer's scoots, and they send it out pre-set to what they think is the right setting, but it allows you to fiddle with it if you disagree. For all I know, they could be coming from the same source in china. They certainly look similar.
stella 4t 200 cc engine, tasso pipe and timing slider, ram-air filter and sidecar
stella auto, bone stock
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

So I am a bit confused. Do you have both the Tasso slider and the Reedspeed CDI installed. Don't both advance the timing?
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

So I am a bit confused. Do you have both the Tasso slider and the Reedspeed CDI installed. Don't both advance the timing?
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

two different scooters. Slider on one, de-restricted cdi with adjustable timing on the other.
stella auto, bone stock
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

So, Which do you feel works better? the Adjustable CDI or the slider?

I have a 150 4T with the RAM air filter and GPI exhaust.
Last edited by slotrod65 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

All else being equal, the Readspeed CDI gives you more zip as it adjusts timing on a bell curve based on RPM's. Having said that, it also has no rev limiter, which is on the stock engine TO PROTECT YOUR ENGINE from over-revving it and going ker-chunk as the bearings fail (they are shitty indian bearings, remember). I managed to do this twice already. If you can resist the temptation to wind the engine all the way out in third or lower, you'll be fine. It isn't a T5, and you shouldn't run it like one. If you are blasting down a loooong hill in fourth, don't give it all ya got cuz you'll toast it (mine went at 63mph, not much fun). You will get almost as good a response from the timing slider, but you will need to use premium gas as it will pre-detonate (Knock, ping, diesel, run-on) . I hit 73 today with the 4t200, it likes cool air. Normal days I see 65-67. Shame they don't import them.
stella auto, bone stock
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Hmmm... No rev limiter does scare me a bit. I guess I am going for the slider. Thanks!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Amen on sketchy Indian bearings. I replaced the crank bearings with a nice set of Japanese 6206 single row bearings and the critical needle rollers with Torringtons. Not interested in surprise bearing failures, and I'd be happier if I'd swapped the big end bearing with a known quantity.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

az_slynch.....how do you go about determining what size / brand bearings you needed? I see a lot of complaints on the Indian bearings, but I rarely see anyone discuss where or how to get replacements?

Could you maybe teach me to fish and explain how you came about finding the replacements? As my profile states I'm running a 2012 4T that is a basic stock block and bearing at this point. Thanks in advance!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Johnny O wrote:az_slynch.....how do you go about determining what size / brand bearings you needed? I see a lot of complaints on the Indian bearings, but I rarely see anyone discuss where or how to get replacements?

Could you maybe teach me to fish and explain how you came about finding the replacements? As my profile states I'm running a 2012 4T that is a basic stock block and bearing at this point. Thanks in advance!
Johnny,

I'll work on a bearing list this week and start a dedicated thread.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...