stalling and squeeky brake...

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EvilNerdLord

stalling and squeeky brake...

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Ok, I'm past the run in period, first service and coming up on the second recommended..but now it quits at stop lights, no sputtering, not like the vapor lock of the 4T gas cap/evap problem I had before...idle just slows down and stops....huh? :? (warm up idle seems slow anyway)

And I seem to have developed an intermittent squeek with the front brake. and both are a bit 'grabby' in the morning when I first leave (temps hi 40's-mid 50's), but smooths out after the first 2 or so stop signs...pad thickness looks ok still, fluid level ok...

any thoughts?
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Idle problem is probably caused by the idle speed being set too low, try turning the idle screw in a 1/8 turn.

Squeaky brakes could be crud imbedded in pads/shoes, or your caliper/drum hardware needs to be lubed.
http://hubpages.com/hub/4-Common-Brake-Squeaks
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

garage kept, squeeks mainly early in a ride, so your liink makes sense, pads are still ok.

I thought idle needed adjustment, wasn't sure how much thought, go be sound when engine is warm? or get an attachable rev meter? bike one I've seen AYLAPS (At Your Local Auto Parts Shop) where min 2 cylinder (not sure how to read it for a single).
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Engine needs to be hot to tune the idle speed and mix, but in your case I would just turn the speed screw in an 1/8th turn till it doesn't stall when you suddenly release the throttle from WOT. Although I would possibly tune the idle mix, because your mix might be off, too.

1. Get the engine nice and hot with a ride
2. Turn the idle screw in 1/8th or 1/4er turn so it's idling very fast
3. Turn the mix screw all the way in
4. Back the mix screw out 1/8th of a turn at a time till the engine will start
5. Turn the mix screw out 1/8th turn at a time and wait 10 seconds to see/hear if the idle speed increases or decreases.
6. Keep repeating step 5 till the idle speed decreases
7. Turn the idle mix screw back in 1/8th turn
8. Turn out the idle speed screw 1/8th or 1/4er turn to the correct idle speed

A tachometer might help if your ear isn't calibrated well enough.
http://www.amazon.com/CyberTech-Digital ... tachometer
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Thanx
NCJ8

Post by NCJ8 »

Resurrecting this thread re: squeaky front brakes. Any others have this problem consistently? My bike has chronic brake squeak, even after 2k miles of riding. Is it just that there's a high metal content in the brake pads? Have others had this problem and found a good fix?
johnk

Post by johnk »

Here's an old post about squeaking that says it's probably not a problem, especially if you primarily hear it while the scooter is rolling without engine power. (I have a bicycle with brakes that squeak exclusively while I'm walking it, which always confused me.)

As for a fix, the old post links to this article about "bedding in" your brakes. It sounds like the brakes have to be relatively new in order for this to work, although it's not clear. If you do try it, I'd love to hear your results.