wheres this oil coming from?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

teamhurst

wheres this oil coming from?

Post by teamhurst »

i keep getting two stroke oil dripping from around the engine area and on the back tire and dripping from the black plastic cover over the gear selector box. so i poking around and the carb had oil in it and what looks like paper towel or whats left of it i took some pics. i pulled the spark plug as well not sure but it may be running just a tad lean. but not sure..
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Do you use a side kickstand?
Also, have a look at the end of the oil line where it clamps to the carb inlet.
may have a crack?
good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

no dont use a side stand. i checked all the clamps and all are tight.
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

In photo 2 are you missing the bolt to the stud to hold the carb down?

I would start by checking that everything is tightened down properly.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:In photo 2 are you missing the bolt to the stud to hold the carb down?

I would start by checking that everything is tightened down properly.
Truth! Here's a visual aid:
Attachments
Arrows point to the sleeve bolts that hold the carburetor to the motor.
Arrows point to the sleeve bolts that hold the carburetor to the motor.
Dell'Orto SI Carb Bolts.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

I took the bolt out, was in the process of taking the crab off
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

Looks like that the oil has bee leaking for some time from some past owner
I think someone put paper towel to soak up the oil
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Is it possible, that the oil is leaking upstream? Then making its way down the line and eventually dripping off into the carb cavity?
J H
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

Every thing looks dry on the outside . could it be unburned oil ? don't know a lot about how the system works to say it sill red fresh looking oil but seems to be working its way out of the crab down all over every thing below it. Doesn't the oil tank sit lower than the crab the oil has to run up hill to the carb
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

teamhurst wrote:I took the bolt out, was in the process of taking the crab off
Dude...you gotta tell us that kinda stuff! It's hard enough trying to diagnose over the interwebs without all the info!

OK... If you pulled the carb did you do a full cleaning and rebuild? Use all new gaskets including under the air box? Use the correct gasket with the hole to allow oil from the channel? Does it smell like oil or like oil and fuel?
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

the oil in the air box could be the normal spit back from the reed valve, What plug are you using? I use ngk bpr7 with a 55/160 idle with a be3/140/105 main with a sito+. I'm a little rich but better rich than lean.
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

As for as I can tell its the factory plug the scoot only has 1800 miles on it and its a 08 it had 1400 miles when I got it earlier this summer. Is there a gasket kit for the crab. If its spit back it sure seems like a lot theres always oil dripping from something
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Ignore the plug for now, it has nothing to do with oil in the carb box.That seems to be way too much for spit back unless running a vortes

Gonna try again but we can't help if you don't work with us. We really are trying to help you out. It seems that if you don't know that a gasket kit is available...also rebuild kits. then you haven't rebuilt the carb. Why were you removing it? How were you going to reinstall without new gaskets.

Click the motor sport banner up top to find a kit?
BuddyRaton wrote:
teamhurst wrote:I took the bolt out, was in the process of taking the crab off
OK... If you pulled the carb did you do a full cleaning and rebuild? Use all new gaskets including under the air box? Use the correct gasket with the hole to allow oil from the channel? Does it smell like oil or like oil and fuel?
www.teamscootertrash.com

teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

no need to get testy now. i was going to pull the carb off to see if there was a gasket. and it was to hot and it was getting late in the day so i didn't go any feather . anyway im a 4 stroke automatic guy had a blur this is my first stella and its only one in my town. so i don't know if something is wrong or not .

i have nothing to compare it to. is it common for the stella to leak all over the place.
when i got it the sit glass was cracked and i replaced that and thought i got the leak. but after having it a couple of days and digging deeper in to it there was oil over most of the engine and back tire. so from there the carb would be the most likely place its coming from unless its coming from the cylinder head gasket as well. ( god i hope not)
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

teamhurst wrote:no need to get testy now.
Trust me..this is not testy. I am trying to help you but you also need to help yourself. There is a ton of information on Stella 2T carbs.

I would suggest reinstalling the carb and torque it down properly...not too much or it will warp the base. Order a rebuild kit. There are many good videos on carb rebuild.

Keep us posted on your progress

Out
www.teamscootertrash.com

teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

how about some links to them videos
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
double-o-soul

Post by double-o-soul »

here's instructions on carb rebuild:
http://bfy.tw/15zg

here's a gasket set for the rebuild (don't forget to pick up a CORRECT gasket that goes between the carb and the airbox):
http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-P ... 154754-KIT

PS. How much oil are we talking here? is it blue 2 stroke oil? is your filter drilled or de-blued? my guess is that the "paper towel" isn't paper towel, but gummed up lithium grease that can resemble cotton candy after a while...
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

there's enough oil that theres drops on the ground after a day of sitting.

its red 2 stroke oil for sure. it sure looks like paper towel i pulled out its fiberous. but if it is grease why would it be there?

thanks for the links. going to get a new gasket kit and install that as soon as i get a free weekend. i never seem to be home this summer.

any other spots other that the carb that oil could be coming from the top side of the engine and run down from there the back side of the engine (the side you cant see or get to) has a coating of oil that sand and dust is sticking to. with a bike of only 1400 miles (when i got it) should still be mostly clean i would think. theres oil on the back shock and starter motor and engine case and back wheel and tire well if its under the engine cowl theres oil dripping off it. :x
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

teamhurst wrote:there's enough oil that theres drops on the ground after a day of sitting.

its red 2 stroke oil for sure. it sure looks like paper towel i pulled out its fiberous. but if it is grease why would it be there?

thanks for the links. going to get a new gasket kit and install that as soon as i get a free weekend. i never seem to be home this summer.

any other spots other that the carb that oil could be coming from the top side of the engine and run down from there the back side of the engine (the side you cant see or get to) has a coating of oil that sand and dust is sticking to. with a bike of only 1400 miles (when i got it) should still be mostly clean i would think. theres oil on the back shock and starter motor and engine case and back wheel and tire well if its under the engine cowl theres oil dripping off it. :x
Check the inlet line for the autolube pump and the area around the pump for oil. Due to the incline of the engine, any leaks near the pump will pool in the area you're currently finding oil. If the three flathead screws that bolt the pump to the case are loose, it will leak. If the compression bolt that holds the metal part of the oil line to the pump is loose, it will leak. Check these fittings with care as to not strip them, and do not dismantle the pump with the airbox installed on the bike (unless you really want to lose parts).

A replacement gasket for the pump is available; plan on new carburetor, air box and reed block gaskets as well as you will be removing the air box to service the autolube pump.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

Just ordered. a new crab rebuild kit. Time to really get down the bottom of this! I'll also look at the oil pump Assembly as well I was wondering about that to, is there an adjustment on that or is it factory set.

Any wish me luck I'll fill you all in on the project. I'll take pics of the process
And post them here.

heres a question how long or miles dos a tank of oil last with average use ( ball park).
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

teamhurst wrote:Just ordered. a new crab rebuild kit. Time to really get down the bottom of this! I'll also look at the oil pump Assembly as well I was wondering about that to, is there an adjustment on that or is it factory set.

Any wish me luck I'll fill you all in on the project. I'll take pics of the process
And post them here.

heres a question how long or miles dos a tank of oil last with average use ( ball park).
The Autolube pump is non-adjustable. Be careful when disassembling it; there is a plastic venturi and a check ball in the base of the airbox/pump cavity there is also a spring that fits around the pump gear shaft.

I see about 250 miles on my P200 before a bubble appears in the sight glass. The P200 pump delivers 3% mix at full throttle, where the P125X/PX150 pump delivers a 2% mix. So, you might get a bit more mileage per tank. If it's emptying faster, you might have a leaking oil tank joint, leaking sight glass or a faulty check valve in the oil pump.

teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

Well the gasket kit is in and I hope to get to it this weekend.
And I'll take pics of it all. So hopefully I'll stop the oil leaks. I'll keep ya all posted.
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
double-o-soul

Post by double-o-soul »

make sure you don't over-torque anything, and tighten the carb bolts back and forth so they torque down evenly.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

teamhurst wrote:heres a question how long or miles dos a tank of oil last with average use ( ball park).
Well, let me get out my slide rule.... OK, a P200E uses a 2% mix on average, so that's _about_ 50:1 (49:1, but let's make the math easy). So for 50 gallons, it would use a gallon of oil, so that works out to about a quart of oil every 12.5 gallons. Do the math yo' own se'f if you want to use metric instead.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
moseseatonjr

Oil puddle

Post by moseseatonjr »

I am not sure if you ever had your question answered or figured out where the oil was coming from.. But I will say this I bought a nos brand new 2009 Stella from a dealer last year. Actually August 22 so almost a year. I take very good care of my scooter it looks brand new, I re jetted it ( bald John) put on an SIP 2.0 exhaust and a Ggr hot reed...... And..... Frankly Stella's are shit period. I regret the day I bought this thing. My scooter from about 20 miles or so leaked 2 stroke oil and it got worse.... And worse..... I complained to my dealer and they kinda shrugged it off as normal and not a problem. at stArt up it smoked so bad my neighbours thought it caught fire. Then when I wanted to go to a scooter rally is smoked terribly, had no power and dumped so much 2 Stoke into the engine it was in the crank case..... All of the Stella's have one issue poor quality construction. You need to replace your carb airbox. I bet money on your carb being fine. The check valve under the oil pump is built like shot and is staying open and your getting oil constantly, even when parked. Get a new airbox with a fresh check valve and I bet your troubles of oil puddles will be over. Also the geniuses at LML in India put a shitty split seam oil line on your scooter. The metal oil line that comes
From the oil pump and out the airbox and the clear plastic
Oil line scratches to.... Has a seam in it.... It's not a solid tube. They leak, also it's a straight end... No barb to create a seal. No matter how tight the clamp is you can rotate the oil line. I pulled that crap out and bent and flared my own metal oil line and under warranty I got a new airbox. Granted the brand new part looked 50 years old compared to the original one on my Stella... Even the replacement parts are crap. Well my scooter doesn't leak a drop of
Oil anymore. I removed the stupid plastic
Cover over the engine and selector box so I can find oil quick if it leaks. It was the shoddy built check valve in the airbox under the oil pump. Give that a try.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Good information there on your 2009. A lot of the 2009 Stella's has faulty check valves and dumped all kinds of oil into the crank I'm glad you got your sorted out
J H
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

just an update on the oil leak as far as it getting all over the engine. it was a gasket under the air box and the intake of the engine it was in two pieces
so far so good
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella