Buddy 170cc more reliable than Stella Auto?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rosiedaie

Buddy 170cc more reliable than Stella Auto?

Post by Rosiedaie »

I've been reading the discouraging reviews of the Auto here...even after the recall it looks like people are saying that their Stella Autos have spent most of the time in the shop.

Now I'm wondering if maybe the Buddy 170 has a better performance record.

What say you?

I picked Stella first because of her GREAT looks, but this will be my first scooter and frankly, I don't know much of anything about doing my own repairs and tunes ups. I'll be relying on the local shop for that.
(Speaking of which, will I be getting in over my head with a Genuine to begin with? Is a Genuine the handy-man's scooter?)
ankdworak

Post by ankdworak »

The Buddys are definitely more reliable. They are made in a Tiawaneese company (PGO) with a good reputation. Stellas are made by an Indian Company (LML) and are based on a 50 year old (Vespa) technology. Granted the newer Auto Stellas have more modern engine technology, but obviously they haven't quite figured out the bugs.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

The Stella Autos definitely have some engineering kinks that need working out, specifically dealing with the electrical system. Everything is really shoved in there and if there's any chance a given wire will ground out, it will, in my experience. The engine seems fine enough, but between the EVAP system and the wiring, it can end up spending more time in the shop than it should.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

The Buddy 170 is pretty much indestructible. I prefer the Buddy 125, unless you're planning to store it for periods of time (no fuel injection). I don't feel the need for extra power on the small Buddy platform.
Rosiedaie

Post by Rosiedaie »

Thanks, guys. I wonder why they don't stick with the Taiwanese manufacture if it's working so well for the other autos.

I went in to look at some Buddy's today and I'm almost sold on 'em, even with a shiny red and a glossy black pair of Stellas perched across the aisle.

After seeing them in person, I actually prefer the tilted in shape of the Buddy.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Rosiedaie wrote:Thanks, guys. I wonder why they don't stick with the Taiwanese manufacture if it's working so well for the other autos
I don't think there is any doubt that the PGO products including the Buddy are the far more reliable scooters. You just have to understand Genuine Scooters history. They are a stepchild of Scooterworks which cut its teeth in the classic Vespa business. The Stella is pretty much a reincarnation of the earlier P/PX Vespas and Scooterworks/Genuine feels a link to that genre. So, I believe they do it to carry on a tradition, not as any judgment about reliability or performance.