Headlight problems...blah

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dj buk

Headlight problems...blah

Post by dj buk »

So here's the issue. My bike went down a while back, it was in the shop for better part of 3 months due to parts ordering and all kinds of crap that took forever which I pin pointed and told them to fix in the first place (stator, and this is why I will not bring it back to that shop.) Anyway when I got it back the headlight was dead, so I replaced it, no go. I took off the horn cast and the head cover tested everything that could be tested checked every fuse, everything is good. Everything meters good, fuses are in tact, no wires are twisted or frayed and the headlight connector is getting power, still no headlight. The horn works, tail light works, everything else works but no headlight.

Any suggestions?
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

You replaced the whole fixture and bulb?

And you've tested all of the wires going into the light?

That stumps me! Perhaps the switch is bad?
dj buk

Post by dj buk »

I replaced the bulb the fixture tested ok so i figured it was good to go.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Looking at the wiring diagram on page 11 of the service manual, it looks like the stator provides power to the regulator/rectifier, which then passes power to the headlight switch and fuel gauge. When you start the engine, does the fuel gauge work? If it does, you probably have a problem with the headlight switch. If it doesn't, check the grey wire at the regulator/rectifier to ensure that it's plugged in.

You'll have to remove the battery and battery box to get at the regulator / rectifier. If the grey wire is seated properly, you may want to check the wire for continuity with a meter and a longish set of probes (or add-on jumper wires). If you have continuity, then maybe the connection from the stator to the regulator/rectifier is broken or disconnected. Not sure on the 09 model, but it's a yellow wire in the wiring diagram. There's a wiring box on the top of the motor where the stator connects to the harness, open it, disconnect the harness connections (I think it's a pair of grouped bullet connectors on an 09?) and check continuity on the yellow lead from the harness connector over to the regulator-rectifier. It that passes continuity, then you could check the resistance of the lighting coil. Tests for that are listed on page 17 of the service manual.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

And you know the bulbs are good cause on the bench, you wired them directly to a good battery? Out of the bike?

And, was the headlight working before the accident?

And you tested the headlight plug socket with a tester WHILE the scoot was running ( headlight wont work unless the motor is running, everything else does when its off)?
and while testing the bulb socket, with motor running,you flipped the High/Low beam switch back and forth to check both filimennts?

Good luck, man
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
dj buk

Post by dj buk »

Ill check that out now
dj buk

Post by dj buk »

jimmbomb wrote:And you know the bulbs are good cause on the bench, you wired them directly to a good battery? Out of the bike?

And, was the headlight working before the accident?

And you tested the headlight plug socket with a tester WHILE the scoot was running ( headlight wont work unless the motor is running, everything else does when its off)?
and while testing the bulb socket, with motor running,you flipped the High/Low beam switch back and forth to check both filimennts?

Good luck, man
I didnt check the bulb directly on a battery I pulled it right out of the package, I did meter the switch and socket while it was running lol and flipped the switch everything is kosher just the light and yeah it did work before it went in the shop, I'll wire it to a battery and im going to check the regulator, my fuel gauge hasnt worked for ever, like since after about 2 months after I bought it ( i read it was a common problem so I left it).

Ill keep posted on what works what doesn't, thanks
dj buk

Post by dj buk »

Holy shit! Success, so the genius that put my bike back together just plugged in the damn wires backwards. a hole. It was back in the wiring box above the engine so were all good here back in business...well except the fuel gauge, which who knows probably the float or something but I have been riding it for 4 years without it so I can live. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP GUYS!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

dj buk wrote:...my fuel gauge hasnt worked for ever, like since after about 2 months after I bought it ( i read it was a common problem so I left it).
The gauge issue is probably the in-tank sender. There's a rheostat that isn't sealed or well protected. It can be fixed if you remove the sender, bend the tabs back on the sender box, carefully open it (small parts) and clean the contacts on the rheostat board and the contact rake. Did that to a friend's '09 and it's worked fine ever since.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Piggybacking on this thread.

The running lights up front and in the back haven't worked on my 2012 4T in ages. Brake light works fine, as does the actual headlight. Would there be a similar cause to that as there was to this issue, namely that regulator box?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Stilts wrote:Piggybacking on this thread.

The running lights up front and in the back haven't worked on my 2012 4T in ages. Brake light works fine, as does the actual headlight. Would there be a similar cause to that as there was to this issue, namely that regulator box?
Possibly, but not necessarily. The parking lamp up front and the running light are powered through the battery, which is charged by the regulator side of the unit.. The headlight and gas gauge are powered by AC current from the stator, after being rectified to DC by the unit. There are actually two circuits on the regulator unit, and it is possible to have only one of them fail.

Things to check:

- Is the battery charging?
- Is the fuse behind the battery good?
- Does the speedometer backlight work?

Stilts

Post by Stilts »

az_slynch wrote:
Stilts wrote:Piggybacking on this thread.

Possibly, but not necessarily. The parking lamp up front and the running light are powered through the battery, which is charged by the regulator side of the unit.. The headlight and gas gauge are powered by AC current from the stator, after being rectified to DC by the unit. There are actually two circuits on the regulator unit, and it is possible to have only one of them fail.

Things to check:

All my answers are prepended with "When it was actually running in May..."
Yes.

Not sure, will have a looksee when I put her back together.
Here's the weird thing: most of the time. There have been times when it would cut out, but a bump on the road or a smack on the top will turn it back on.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Stilts wrote:All my answers are prepended with "When it was actually running in May..."
Yes.
Here's the weird thing: most of the time. There have been times when it would cut out, but a bump on the road or a smack on the top will turn it back on.
The speedometer bulb is in the same circuit as the pilot light and that circuit feeds back to the tail running lamp. It's key-on power and doesn't go through the light switch. Based on this, I'd check the wiring connections in the headset.

Stilts

Post by Stilts »

az_slynch wrote:
Stilts wrote:All my answers are prepended with "When it was actually running in May..."
Yes.
The speedometer bulb is in the same circuit as the pilot light and that circuit feeds back to the tail running lamp. It's key-on power and doesn't go through the light switch. Based on this, I'd check the wiring connections in the headset.
Roger, wilco! Thanks!
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

dj buk wrote:Holy shit! Success, so the genius that put my bike back together just plugged in the damn wires backwards. a hole. It was back in the wiring box above the engine so were all good here back in business...well except the fuel gauge, which who knows probably the float or something but I have been riding it for 4 years without it so I can live. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP GUYS!
Congrats on finding and fixing the headlight issue.
can you post a photo or 2 of these wires and where they plug into?
And how did you find it? What possesed you to look there to determine the wires were put in bass/ackwards?
Inquiring mind wants to know.
thanks
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

dj buk wrote:Holy shit! Success, so the genius that put my bike back together just plugged in the damn wires backwards. a hole. It was back in the wiring box above the engine so were all good here back in business...well except the fuel gauge, which who knows probably the float or something but I have been riding it for 4 years without it so I can live. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP GUYS!
Wow, good going. Electrical issues are such a pain. I've had one with my 4T for a while now, just kickstarting all the time, but I plan on diving in tomorrow. Yay.

My fuel gauge is pretty much binary. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Zipster

Re: Headlight problems...blah

Post by Zipster »

Piggybacking on this thread too even if I notice this is very old….

I have a Buddy 50 (2006) with a very similar issue with the headlight. Took it to the mechanic to no avail, because they, much like the original posting, found everything ok. In my case, everything works, except the headlight. The bulb is OK, it turns once in a while then fades away. My tank gauge works, horn, blinkers, speedometer, turns on OK without manually starting most of the times - all of it. My question is would the wiring of the Stella and Buddy 50 be similar. I tried to read the diagram but I cannot determine if they are the same or not… Just wanting to know if it’s the case that the HI/LO switch is faulty? Or would it be a problem with the stator or rectifier? So confused. :(

http://www.modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy_wiring_diagram.pdf

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.