New season Stella starting issues - HELP!!!!!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mulliganal

New season Stella starting issues - HELP!!!!!

Post by Mulliganal »

My Stella wasn't doing much of anything at first then I realized the 2013 stock battery was shot, so I purchase a new battery. Now it starts but only with a kick, strange. It tries to start with the starter but won't turn over. Why does it start only with a kick start but now with the new battery?

After I get it started it will run really high and won't idle properly. I tried to make adjustments but I'm not really sure what to adjust or which screw is which. Will someone please guide me a bit. Thank you
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
az_slynch

Re: New season Stella starting issues - HELP!!!!!

Post by az_slynch »

Mulliganal wrote:My Stella wasn't doing much of anything at first then I realized the 2013 stock battery was shot, so I purchase a new battery. Now it starts but only with a kick, strange. It tries to start with the starter but won't turn over. Why does it start only with a kick start but now with the new battery?

After I get it started it will run really high and won't idle properly. I tried to make adjustments but I'm not really sure what to adjust or which screw is which. Will someone please guide me a bit. Thank you
Preliminary questions:

Do the taillamp, horn and turn signals work with the engine off?
With the electric start, are you pulling the clutch in?
Does you hear a click when you hit the starter button?
Is the starter wire firmly connected to the bottom of the starter?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

To me, maybe also check for air leaks as well as the idle screw.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd35 ... 0b9913.jpg

Check out that pic, the screw on the left with the spring is the idle adjustment screw.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I suspect the carb jets are partially obstructed, the worst being the low speed jet.
Because it is partially obstructed, the choke cannot provide enough enrichment.
Because it is lean, the idle is speeding up.
Because it is lean, the reduced spark intensity that is a result of using the electric starter, is not enough to light off the lean mixture.

Carb cleaning along with resizing the jets (as in using formal jet cleaners, not increasing the size) is called for.

Rob