2005 Stella Clutch issue? Won't disengage?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

belopsky

2005 Stella Clutch issue? Won't disengage?

Post by belopsky »

All right everyone, just got a 2005 Stella 2t with 74xx on the odometer.

It's been sitting for a few weeks, I was told the person doesn't know much about it, rode it in first gear a few weeks ago, but her ex-bf rode it mostly.

A few problems (like turning the key doesn't turn any lights on, battery shows 13.x volts...), but kicking it starts it first kick..anywho:

With the scooter running in Neutral, I pull in the clutch lever, shift to 1st, the scooter lurks forward and dies.

Clutch won't disengage? I was told to, with the scooter not running, put it in neutral, pull in clutch lever, and kick the kicker to see if the plates need to free up?

I tried this but it seems to kick through just like normal? I checked the free play at the lever...should be minimal? About 2mm?

Thanks!
belopsky

Post by belopsky »

One more thing:

When I kick it, with the ignition off, I see the speedo light up every time i kick it..so the magneto is being turned over even w the ignition off?
belopsky

Post by belopsky »

Took the clutch cover off last night to see what was going on, everything functionally looks fine to me, what should the plates feel like in the clutch basket?

belopsky

Post by belopsky »

Might as well keep my 'blog' alive - I fixed the clutch.

Started it in neutral, rolled down the hill and popped it into first, went through all the gears, got home, still did not work. Drained gear oil, added new gear oil, repeated the procedure, FINALLY got it to unstick!

Now it wont start however.. Actually had issues starting when I was trying to unstick it.. I have spark..charging battery now (does the battery need to have a full charge to start? I didnt think so..Im missing the fuse for the electrical system so I can't use the electric start currently..)
belopsky

Post by belopsky »

Turned out that my idle jet got clogged in the 48hrs of ownership! haha!

Compression seems OK enough? 140ish, kickstarting, throttle open
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Howdy, I would also check the clutch cable down by the engine to make sure it's not frayed. There is also a small clutch arm that can snap up the clutch pull rod that you should look at.

How does the shift feel? With the engine off you should be able to roll the scooter and switch through all the gears changing as you roll.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

The brass blob on the clutch pivot arm is a bit worrisome. Your plunger face looks OK, but I'd consider popping it out and checking for wear. The only other two brass bits in there are in the clutch itself: There's a spacer ring below the pressure plate and the bushing between the pressure plate shaft and the drive gear plate. If either of those are shot, you can have clutch issues.

The blown fuse may be affecting power delivery to the lights. The headlamp and speedometer lamp are powered directly from the magneto, while the taillight/brake light/turn signals and horn are powered through the regulator/rectifier and battery system.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
belopsky

Post by belopsky »

az_slynch wrote:The brass blob on the clutch pivot arm is a bit worrisome. Your plunger face looks OK, but I'd consider popping it out and checking for wear. The only other two brass bits in there are in the clutch itself: There's a spacer ring below the pressure plate and the bushing between the pressure plate shaft and the drive gear plate. If either of those are shot, you can have clutch issues.

The blown fuse may be affecting power delivery to the lights. The headlamp and speedometer lamp are powered directly from the magneto, while the taillight/brake light/turn signals and horn are powered through the regulator/rectifier and battery system.
What parts on this diagram are you referring to? What is the bushing? What is the spacer ring?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

belopsky wrote:What parts on this diagram are you referring to? What is the bushing? What is the spacer ring?
https://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pag ... kshaft/715

Part numbers 30 and 32 on the diagram.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
belopsky

Post by belopsky »

Clutch seems to be OK now - got stuck one more time, going to get the pads and do a full replacement.

Tubes leak air, guess I need to get new ones...otherwise rode 50mph to the store yesterday and all was well ;)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Greasy on MV sold me on how to get plates unstuck.

Fill the gear area with product of your choice such as Marvel Mystery Oil. I did this on 79 P200 with stuck plates. Took it out in 1st and would just slow down then rev it out. It unstuck the plates then changed gear oil.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL