Starting to tune my stella 2T

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

junebugphoto

Starting to tune my stella 2T

Post by junebugphoto »

So this is my first post here and my first experience with a 2 cycle. I have customized and worked on all sorts of Honda Scooters and Cycles but for some reason a week ago I found myself face to face with a 2007 Stella 2T with a sidecar. Needless to say she is mine now and I need to know what you folks either have done or recommend for everyday cruising. I can get to about 40mph with the sidecar empty and maybe 35mph with a person riding with me. I would like to improve this by 5-8mph. I am hoping an air intake mod, rejet of the carb and a nice performance pipe will do the trick before I have to do anything like a top end rebuild.
The bike also is only 700miles old... Is this even broke in yet?

Please recommend.
Exhaust pipe you like and why...
jet recommendations for Midwest (Michigan about 200ft above sea level)
Air intake mods you have done.

I am sure there is info on this site but without the nomenclature to know what I am asking for the search is pretty week... Thanks in advance and have an awesome day!
Attachments
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG (100.01 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
2007 Genuine Stella 2T
Scooterworks Sidecar
2006 Custom Honda Ruckus
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

first off welcome. and hello fellow Michigander. your only about an hour from me in three rivers. the stella is only about 8 or 9 hp. a rejet and aftermarket pipe may help but the side car dos add alot of weight. i dont have a side car on my stella but in stock form she dos about 50 to 55 tops with me on at 200 pounds.

if it was me and if your going to leave the side car on id do a big bore kit bigger carb and a pipe to get more hp. just my two cents. any way she looks great and congrats on the stella.
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Love that color!

My friends who have sidecars on their Stellas tell me how slow they can be with a sidecar. They have big bore kits. It's still slow but the BBK adds some oomph.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

This isn't the answer you're going to want to hear, but it'll save you a lot of money and emotional pain in the long run. If you want a reliable motor, keep it bone stock. You can run it wide open all day and only worry about putting gas and 2t oil into it.

If you want more acceleration you can go with a Sito+, P200 air filter, a rejet and a Trail Tech temperature gauge. This will get you going a little faster, but hold it wide open for too long and it'll likely overheat and seize. I've done two with this setup and they run fine as long as you keep the temps under control and not run it too hard.

From experience, I wouldn't kit a sidecar rig. They are too demanding on the engine and they create too much heat. One of my friends had a motor built for his sidecar and it lasted about a week before blowing up - he ran it too hard. To quote his exact words, "I wish I never modified the engine".

If you really want to spend money, track down a P200 motor or have one built. A kitted 150 5 port will go as fast or faster than a stock 200, but the 200 has the torque that a sidecar rig needs.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

I've got a 2013 4t Stella + sidecar rig. Right now I'm running completely stock. The motor did yield a little bit more performance after the break-in period. On a good day with no wind and no stop lights, I can hit 50mph with an empty hack. Most of the time around town though it's 40-45 mph. With a passenger I can get to 45, but it takes a while.

The break in period for mine was up to about 1000 miles. Eventually I want to put a 165cc kit with a new carb and pipe... But for now I'm keeping it stock and seeing how she lasts. I bought mine 2 years ago with 20ish miles. I've got 4500 miles now with no engine issues to report.
belopsky

Post by belopsky »

Take off the sidecar, go faster :)
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I have a sidecar rigged Stella. If the right guy builds the motor. A kitted one is fine. The weak link is the stock crankshaft. Lotsa of work listed here, BUT If you do a MAzz. crank and a DR 177 kit, stock carb (rejetted) stock gearing with a good pipe you can see a comfortable 50 MPH with a push to 55 when you have the space. Mine has 3,300 miles on it. It isn't treated nice or friendly, but it is fed a good diet of the right oil and good parts.

Stock bottom end? A SIP road exhaust, a P200 air filter, and a rejet will be a BIG help. It may get you the 5 MPH you want :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Seconded on the SIP Road over the Sito Plus; the SIP pipe helps with midrange torque and acceleration as well as top end.

Rather than going with a big bore kit, maybe a 60mm stroker crank on a stock cylinder with a spacer plate is the ticket for a hack? A friend's stroked Fireball with a Polini 177 (188cc with the crank) used to walk my lightly tuned P200 when climbing grades and he's a bigger dude!

Could swap the clutch gear from a 21T to a 22T for a bit more top end in each gear. The engine would have to be beefier than stock to benefit from the upgear, though.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
junebugphoto

not going to be messing around

Post by junebugphoto »

Talked to a couple of people and the idea is if it isn't broke don't fix it. That being said I am going to upgrade the following.

SIP Road Exhaust - (is this what you guys are referring to?) http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_24166300

New jetting (38/120 idle, 160/Be3/103 Main) From a guy on here that lives in Chicago... same elevation)

NGK B7ES Plug

P200 air filter - Can someone post a link?

WISH ME LUCK!
2007 Genuine Stella 2T
Scooterworks Sidecar
2006 Custom Honda Ruckus
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

If you're ordering the SIP pipe from SIP, the link for the P200 air filter at SIP : http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_40250000

If you search around at scooterwest or scootermercato, you will probably be able to find both here in the states and save on shipping.
junebugphoto

its rolling now!

Post by junebugphoto »

I did the carb jetting, exhaust, spark plug and air filter upgrade this weekend. The old spark plug that I pulled out was black and oily... after about a 5 mile test run with city and country roads I topped out at 53mpg (gps on the phone) and when I pulled the plug it was a nice golden hue. I looked up some photos online and it seems to be in the "Optimal" range as far as I can tell.

Later in the day I had my wife hop in the sidecar and we went out for dinner. with her in the sidecar we could keep it about 47mph and hit 50mph on a slight graded hill.

All in all I think its where I need it to be. Thanks for the insight all!

This is what I did...
SIP Road Exhaust - http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_24166300

New jetting (38/120 idle, 160/Be3/103 Main) From a guy on here that lives in Chicago... same elevation)

NGK B7ES Plug

P200 air filter

Happy Scooting!
2007 Genuine Stella 2T
Scooterworks Sidecar
2006 Custom Honda Ruckus