Where to tap power?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Wild_Goosechase

Where to tap power?

Post by Wild_Goosechase »

I got this cell phone mount that has a QI charger built in, but I need to tap power. I'm new to scooters, couldn't find a fuse block with an "acc" to tap. What's best to tap?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Depends on where you plan on mounting it. You can get power straight off the battery, or you can splice into the wiring from the ignition. How brave are you feeling?
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

The orange wire is always hot straight off the fuse.
The violet wire is switched by the ignition switch and probably the best choice (this powers the parking lamp and rear running lamp).
Attach the negative to any convenient place on either the black wire or frame.

If you are mounting your device where you can see it, the most convenient place may be routing the wires from the headset and out to a plug where you can get at it. There isn't much room behind the headlamp, but it can likely be done.

Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I've run a battery tender lead from the battery. It sticks out of the left hand cowl. I then plug in an USB adaptor then the charging cord. Works well for me. You can run the cord through the shopping bag hook and up to the headset.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

RoaringTodd wrote:I've run a battery tender lead from the battery. It sticks out of the left hand cowl. I then plug in an USB adaptor then the charging cord. Works well for me. You can run the cord through the shopping bag hook and up to the headset.
Sounds like a nice simple hack Todd!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Wild_Goosechase

Post by Wild_Goosechase »

I tried taking the top off, not much room, probably need to take speedo cable off right? I ran the cable down the neck, stuffed it into the mess of wires behind the front cover. Going to the wire behind the light would be clean since the wire wouldn't rub.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

For good access to what's under the top instrument cluster cover, just unscrew the speedo cable. The wiring harness should then fold neatly back to see the lack of space in there.

There may be slightly more space under the horn cover, but still not what I would consider abundant. I'm considering doing the same thing and installing a USB port somewhere on the scoot.

It could be as simple as unceremoniously letting a cord hang out the pinch bolt hole in the lower headset casing.
Attachments
Headset with instrument cluster removed.
Headset with instrument cluster removed.
headset.jpg (100.62 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)