New (to me) 09 Stella leaking(?) oil around and in the airbox

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Bismuthsheep

New (to me) 09 Stella leaking(?) oil around and in the airbox

Post by Bismuthsheep »

Hello all! A couple days ago I picked up a 09 Stella. Really happy to finally have a 2 stroke scoot again!

This is my first "vintage" scooter and I am not too accustomed to wrenching on this older tech. I am also not used to wrenching on 2 strokes since I had my last one when I was a lazy teen haha

Anyway, while washing it I noticed there was a lot of gunk around the rear wheel and the engine, like caked on oil + dust and dirt.

When I took off the airbox cover to check the air filter, I saw there was a decent amount of oil pooled around the carb. (dipped the screwdriver in to show how deep it was)

Is this normal? I read that it could possibly be a bad gasket between the carb and airbox or airbox and intake port. I also read that an incorrect gasket could be there, missing the hole for the autolube system. Lastly, I heard that older 2 strokes are just kinda dirty like that.

Thanks in advance!
youkiddin

Re: New (to me) 09 Stella leaking(?) oil around and in the airbox

Post by youkiddin »

mostly normal stuff,clean it all up and keep a eye on it for a couple weeks. you will get some of the oil mess on the wheel from the exhaust . by keeping clean you can see when trouble starts
Bismuthsheep

Post by Bismuthsheep »

Thanks for the response! After cleaning it and waiting for it to start leaking again, I found that its coming from the end of the fuel line, where it connects to the carburetor.

I tried to adjust the worm clamp and get a better seal, but the line is a bit too stiff and thick for the adjustment to stay. I also think it might have swelled a bit from the leaking. Should I just replace the whole line?
Also, the oil is still in the airbox next to the carb. I thought the oil is injected straight into the cylinder with the autolube system? If that's the case, could that system be leaking too?
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

looks like your leaking fuel might be the gaskets on both sides of the fuel line connection. the one on the carb side looks wet in your photo.if thats the case you could get a rebuild kit that should have those included. If you get a new fuel line get the oil line also. oil is pumped up to the bottom of the carb.
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

also if you don't have this already down load and save the service manual http://iheartstella.com/resources/manua ... manual.pdf
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

Bismuthsheep

Post by Bismuthsheep »

Thank you very much for those links!

I tightened down that 10mm flathead holding the nipple onto the carb and it seems to have stopped leaking entirely! I tried before with a flathead and couldnt get a good grip on it bc of the position. So i got a 10mm wrench and tightened about 1/4 of a turn and so far so good.

I went ahead and got a carb rebuild kit with all the gaskets since that tightening is probably just putting a bandaid over the real issue, along with a main jet kit for when I get an exhaust this summer :D