just over 140miles, ignition, fuel gauge, turn signal

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

livestn

just over 140miles, ignition, fuel gauge, turn signal

Post by livestn »

my 08 stella just got over 140miles on it, and already ignition has problem. when i left it sit for even only a few hours, then i can't start it up with electric start. even with kick start i still need several try. i think it's electric problem, like the generator is too weak or the battery is not holding the charge.

second problem is the fuel gauge, it always says it's empty. despite the fact that i just fill it up and have started the engine for a while and the needle just simply won't move.

third problem, left turn signal don't work, it will not blink for the front, and the rear just won't turn on at all, and the beeping noise just give me a long beep, instead of beep beep beep beep... the right one works just fine tho.

I have an appt with Vespa of Portland to have it serviced on the 8th of Oct.
i want to know if anyone out there is experiencing the same problem. especially the electric start. Do you often have to kick start it?
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

The fuel gauge is a pretty common problem, likewise with the turn signal. The nice thing with the Stella compared to other new scoots is that you have a reserve tank. If you do want the fuel gauge fixed you will just need a new fuel sending unit (warranty issue), but even then it is still going to be a little off. The turn signal is a grounding issue that your tech will be able to fix quickly. Most people mix up kick starting and electric starting the Stella. If you are having problems make sure you use the choke. Even if its been sitting for only half an hour you may need to use the choke.
Hope this helps. I am sure your dealer or service techs will tell you the same. Just know that you are not alone in these issues.
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

Definitely use the choke to start a not warm engine. Should fire right up then.

For the fuel gauge, have a look under your seat. You'll see a round black disc with two brass nuts on it. Your fuel sensor is under there. Take the nuts off and make sure the wires under there are connected properly.

For the turn signal, I suspect that you have either a bad bulb or you may have a loose wire on your left rear turn signal. If you pop off the cowl and have a look at the turn signal, you'll see that under the rubber boot there is a wire with a small spade connector. That connector slides onto the turn signal housing. Chances are that connector has come loose from the housing. Happened to me on my right side.

Good luck.
livestn

Post by livestn »

thanks, i will remember that. i can't believe i am not alone, i really thought that it was a QC problem with the manufacturer. so why do they bother to put electric start on it if it's not powerful enough to start the thing up. granted, in a cold morning it won't start, but even in after it's siting for a few hours in the 70s and 60s F?

the turn signal was because the connection where the left crown electric connection thingy toward the front of the bike. in the hole on the main chassis , the connecting plate thing has fell off inside, i know this because look into the hole in both right and left crown and that's the difference that i can see and i can't figure out how to get to it.

now the fuel gauge problem i really need the dealer to fix.
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

The electric start is a convince thing. As long as you use the choke you should be able to kick or electric start it. But cold does not refer to the temp outside all the time. It could be 90 and it could still be a "cold" start. Just know that anytime you leave the scoot and go back to start it you may need to use the choke.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

The starting thing may also be the stator.

We had to replace one of the '08s because of a similar issue. It would start and run for a little while and then die and then only start again with kickstart. After it cooled down it would run again for a little while and then repeat. I don't know if your issue is that severe but it's worth checking.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
08buddyblack

Re: just over 140miles, ignition, fuel gauge, turn signal

Post by 08buddyblack »

Yep had all 3 of the problems, Go to wal-mart buy a new battery. The gas gage is a piece of junk learn to live without it, a new one will do the same thing in time. This is the Joy of stella ownership.
livestn wrote:my 08 stella just got over 140miles on it, and already ignition has problem. when i left it sit for even only a few hours, then i can't start it up with electric start. even with kick start i still need several try. i think it's electric problem, like the generator is too weak or the battery is not holding the charge.

second problem is the fuel gauge, it always says it's empty. despite the fact that i just fill it up and have started the engine for a while and the needle just simply won't move.

third problem, left turn signal don't work, it will not blink for the front, and the rear just won't turn on at all, and the beeping noise just give me a long beep, instead of beep beep beep beep... the right one works just fine tho.

i want to know if anyone out there is experiencing the same problem. especially the electric start. Do you often have to kick start it?
livestn

Re: just over 140miles, ignition, fuel gauge, turn signal

Post by livestn »

Oh man, i can't believe someone actually have the same problems. I also want to see if it actually does 90MPG as claimed, so i am waiting for it to hit 225miles because my last fill up was 135 and that will make it 90 miles since the fill up. i am almost at 200 now, so maybe next wk.
08buddyblack wrote:Yep had all 3 of the problems, Go to wal-mart buy a new battery. The gas gage is a piece of junk learn to live without it, a new one will do the same thing in time. This is the Joy of stella ownership.
livestn wrote:my 08 stella just got over 140miles on it, and already ignition has problem. when i left it sit for even only a few hours, then i can't start it up with electric start. even with kick start i still need several try. i think it's electric problem, like the generator is too weak or the battery is not holding the charge.