Royal Enfield Scram 411 Unveiled

Our very own Thumper!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Royal Enfield Scram 411 Unveiled

Post by jrsjr »

Here is the pic and it tells you everything you need to know... Bye-Bye Bodywork. Hello Street-Oriented Front Wheel and Fender. Before you guffaw too loudly, let me say that sometimes a few small changes can make a huge difference in a bike. My $0.02. Here is the pic.

wheelbender6

Re: Royal Enfield Scram 411 Unveiled

Post by wheelbender6 »

I was already a fan of the styling of the Himalayan and Meteor, so I really dig the Scram.
Not a big fan of 24 hp.

There is a company Down Under that offers real hop up parts for the Hima.
Cams and piggyback tunable ECUs for starters.
More serious motor heads can also choose from a few big bore kits.
Its a start, at least.
https://himalayan-tools.com/ht-camshaft ... rformance/
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

wheelbender6 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:43 am I was already a fan of the styling of the Himalayan and Meteor, so I really dig the Scram.
Not a big fan of 24 hp.

There is a company Down Under that offers real hop up parts for the Hima.
Cams and piggyback tunable ECUs for starters.
More serious motor heads can also choose from a few big bore kits.
Its a start, at least.
https://himalayan-tools.com/ht-camshaft ... rformance/
I was taught that sort of the platonic idea of a motor is a "square," where the bore and stroke are equal.

The Himalayan has Bore x Stroke: 78.0mm x 86.0mm.

If you made the Himalayan motor "square" (which I'm guessing would require milling the cases), then you'd end up with a motor 86.0mm x 86.0mm. By my math that comes to 466cc displacement. A pure blue-sky guess at the horsepower increase would be about 10% or about 26.4 HP. Even if the kit were a "bolt on" (no machining required) that wouldn't give you much bang for your buck. It would probably be easier just to buy a Honda/Yamaha that makes the horsepower you want.

EDIT: After I wrote the above, I went back and did the homework I should have done first and discovered that my guess was really close to what the actual kits are. The two cylinder kits I found were 462cc and 477cc respectively. The 477 kit is from a different manufacturer (not Hancock) and they have a FAQ page about the kit which makes interesting reading except that they neatly sidestep telling you how much extra power their kit provides.

Horsepower is all relative. I remember when I would have given anything to have 24 horsepower in my Vespa GT200L. And there's no such thing as enough horsepower. The more you have, the more you want. All that said, I'd love to test ride a Scram that's been breathed on by a pro just to see what it's like.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I think undersquare engines have bigger bore than stroke, and like to rev. (More HP than Torque)
Oversquare engines have a longer stroke than bore and make power low in the rev range (More Torque than HP).
I could have that backwards.

It would be fun to buy a used Himalayan and try out some of those kits from Himalayan-Tools on it.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI