My Blur seems irritated at me...

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kenden56

My Blur seems irritated at me...

Post by kenden56 »

Alright Blur fans. Its the typical scenario...
I didn't ride all winter and its just starting to get nice out here in CA. I got a new battery and it is trying to start. Actually it does start but wont stay started. I got new gas in it, oil level was a bit low, so added more. Am I missing something? I didnt think they had a gas shut off switch, battery is fully charged.... Any suggestions/ideas/comments...please.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Which Blur? 150 or 220i?

If it's the 150, ethanol in gas that has been sitting in the float bowls has probably jellied slightly causing the passageways to get clogged. Try to cycle some Seafoam through the first tank. If it's extremely clogged, it might need to be disassembled and cleaned out. Some service departments have early Spring specials for cleaning carbs.

If it's the 220i... well, it shouldn't be doing that.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
kenden56

Post by kenden56 »

its an 07 150. That sounds about right with the gas being "clogged" since it does start but then just putters out and dies. I will try the Seafoam. Thanks!
kenden56

Post by kenden56 »

Also, does anyone know where I can get a manual or can send me the carb access/removal steps??
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

BeachBuzz

can you be more specific?

Post by BeachBuzz »

Lostmycage wrote::arrow: FAQ yeah, I do!
LMC - I went to run the Blur over the weekend and it seems despite my winterizing efforts the carb/bowl/fuel system is blocked/clogged/gummed to the point that I drained my battery and wore out my leg trying to get it started. Is there somewhere in the FAQ page that shows or describes the procedure for draining the bowl and clearing the carb?

thanks for your help 8)

ironically the Burgman that I never bothered to winterize and havent started for nearly 2 months took a little coaxing but fired up and ran perfectly - at least I got a mid-winter ride in but I'm disappointed in the Blur.
kenden56

Post by kenden56 »

try the seafoam. It worked like a champ a couple of days ago. was just bad gas and probably jellied up. I tried the least invasive way first. new gas, seafoam, etc. Happy Blur again. Now just need to sell it! haha
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

kenden56 wrote:try the seafoam. It worked like a champ a couple of days ago. was just bad gas and probably jellied up. I tried the least invasive way first. new gas, seafoam, etc. Happy Blur again. Now just need to sell it! haha
so you didn't ungunk the carb, bowl or anything other that replace the gas and add seafoam??

I killed my battery trying to crank the engine and it never so much as coughed. tried kick it for a while with the same result. I'm afraid the Stabil I used did little or nothing to protect the fuel system. I'll drain the bowl & clean things up if it is not to labor intensive. Just not sure how to go about it...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

For a Blur 150, the procedure should be pretty much the same as this:

topic17556.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kenden56

Post by kenden56 »

No I didn't have to ungunk the carb or bowl. That was going to be my next step though. I put some new gas in it, let that sit over the weekend, recharged the battery because I did exactly what you did and ran it down, then did the seafoam thing. The next day, I was good to go.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

thanks guys - hopefully I'll get back to it this weekend or next if the weather holds, otherwise I'll wait for the next warm spell and get it going
I HATE WINTER
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

To coax a bike back from the dead, what I've found helpful is to raise the idle via screw (1/4 to 1/2 a turn - you're doing this blind since the engine isn't running when you make the adjustment) just a little so that when you get it kickstarted, it stays running long enough for you to coax it back fully with the throttle; NO WOT on a cold engine!!. You can readjust it once you've reawoken it and ridden it around a little.

I usually tell people that they shouldn't bother messing with the mixture screw for cold weather stalling, just raise the idle a little to get through the cold months. Resetting the idle is a lot easier (and less potentially harmful) than messing with the mixture screw.

Running Seafoam through it is a good idea as well, just follow the instructions; that can is meant for a 10-15 gallon tank. The trick to Seafoam isn't just adding it to the tank, you've really got to cycle it through.