Sputtering Blur Update

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

killbilly

Sputtering Blur Update

Post by killbilly »

Wanted to start a new thread here since it may prove beneficial to any of you guys having a surging or sputtering problem with a Blur ss220i. The problem I've had may not be your problem, but it's worth sharing. This is sort of a continuation of this thread about surging from earlier in the week.

I just got off the phone with my dealer. When they got the bike off the trailer they were able to get it started, but they definitely experienced the surge/sputtering and general erratic behavior from the EFI. A deep dive on the bike yielded the following interesting information:

There is a small two-pronged electrical connection near the dump valve - Greg at Urban Moto described it to me as "at the very top of the system - you can see it when you take off the pet carrier" which LOOKED like it was connected, but in fact, it was not actually seated properly.

They went and checked on the other Blur ss220i they had on the floor, and the connection on that was in the same shape. So they tightened it up and put a zip tie on it to make 100% sure.

Problem solved.

He asked if he could hang on to it an extra day or two. He wants to talk to Genuine a little bit more about the connector(s) and find out if they can tell him anything about what is the expected behavior and build vs. what he has seen. He's not comfortable with just "replugging it in" as a solution and is trying to get some more answers.

If any of you find the same problem, please let me know via PM or in this thread. I'm going to be monitoring it. Greg has asked me to convey that to you guys - if you have this problem, or that connector solves it, please post here.

I will try to get a picture of that connector and post it here.

So anyway, since I have to leave town for a week tomorrow, I said that was fine and he could keep it, even though he offered to hang out at the shop tonight until I could get over there. Nice of him, but not necessary. I'm back from AZ on Friday and will get it Saturday morning.

While we were on the phone, I told him to go ahead and put some 13g sliders in it. Might as well since he wanted to open it up and inspect every other nut and bolt. He wants to be thorough here.

:D
rattler110_818

Post by rattler110_818 »

Im having that problem with my new blur. If u could take a pic that would be great.
2011 Genuine Blur SS 220i
2009 Genuine Rattler 110
2009 Tomos St *Sold*
2001 Yamaha Zuma *Sold*
1990 Honda Elite 50 *Sold*
1987 Honda Aero 50 *Wrecked*
1984 Honda Magna 700
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

I don't have a pic to take, but I can tell you that in subsequent tests (and threads) we determined that the wiring harness was mis-routed which was putting pressure on the connector and disconnecting it. But this caused it to die outright.

Is yours dying, or merely running rough? On mine, the dump valve had to be replaced because it was leaking fuel.

Purging the dump valve seemed to solve the problem for a few people. Just take out the pet carrier, and press the little plunger. You can't miss it.

-b
rattler110_818

Post by rattler110_818 »

killbilly wrote:I don't have a pic to take, but I can tell you that in subsequent tests (and threads) we determined that the wiring harness was mis-routed which was putting pressure on the connector and disconnecting it. But this caused it to die outright.

Is yours dying, or merely running rough? On mine, the dump valve had to be replaced because it was leaking fuel.

Purging the dump valve seemed to solve the problem for a few people. Just take out the pet carrier, and press the little plunger. You can't miss it.

-b
My Blur just has a rough idle. Other than that, no other issues.
2009 Genuine Rattler 110
2009 Tomos St *Sold*
2001 Yamaha Zuma *Sold*
1984 Honda Magna 700
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

rattler110_818 wrote:
killbilly wrote:I don't have a pic to take, but I can tell you that in subsequent tests (and threads) we determined that the wiring harness was mis-routed which was putting pressure on the connector and disconnecting it. But this caused it to die outright.

-b
My Blur just has a rough idle. Other than that, no other issues.
Could be a couple things...

1) Check the dump valve thing. If you take out the pet carrier, it's right at the top. About the size of your thumb, and looks like a brass nail driven into a rubber washer. Press and hold and a small quantity of fuel will dump. That seems to clear/depressurize the fuel system. Has helped a few people. You can actually reach it through the bottom of the carrier if you know what you're feeling for. I posted a pic of it in this thread. Scroll down and you'll see it:

topic16827.html

2) Check your valve spec. A number of Blur 220i unit were shipped with valves out of spec. Mine were out, and I know of at least two others here that were the same. That could be contributing.

3) Make sure you're letting it warm up? When it's cold or I haven't ridden in a while it's a bit rough at first, but smooths out once it's warm.
rattler110_818

Post by rattler110_818 »

Taking it to Noho Scooters. Hopefully they have a fix to it..Thanks for all the info.
2009 Genuine Rattler 110
2009 Tomos St *Sold*
2001 Yamaha Zuma *Sold*
1984 Honda Magna 700