Oil Filter Opinions? (2013 Blur 220i)

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HanShan

Oil Filter Opinions? (2013 Blur 220i)

Post by HanShan »

My Blur has 9500 miles, going to do the oil change and replace the filter. Any pros and cons of any of these filters? Is the malossi worth the 2x price for an old scoot like mine?

Hiflofiltro HF183 Premium Oil Filter
https://www.amazon.com/Hiflofiltro-HF18 ... 000WJEXAM/

Malossi Oil Filter (Red Chilli) VespaGTS/LX/ET4/Buddy/Blur
https://www.amazon.com/Malossi-Filter-C ... 00PCRTPR0/

Scooter Oil Filter - Buddy 150, Buddy 125, Blur 150, ET4, LX 150, GT200
https://www.amazon.com/Scooter-Oil-Filt ... 004007EOG/

Also, any tips on changing the oil would be great.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have been using the HiFlo filters for years on all my scooters. Never given me a problem.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I use this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFlo-Oil-Filte ... 8f&vxp=mtr

Hi Flo HF197 with the hex top so no special tool required. Works out to be $7.64 each. BTW, that Prima filter is a rebranded Hi Flo HF197.

I'll probably have to reorder soon since I have two scooters that use the same filter. Very convenient for me.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

Thanks a bunch.

I went with the Hiflofiltro HF183 Premium Oil Filter just cause it would get here faster and did not want to buy four.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

HanShan wrote:Thanks a bunch.

I went with the Hiflofiltro HF183 Premium Oil Filter just cause it would get here faster and did not want to buy four.
You should have gotten the HF197- you will find it almost impossible to remove the 183 due to the confined location. I bought the special removal tool and still could not get it to budge. The hex nut on top is invaluable.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

chickdr wrote:
HanShan wrote:Thanks a bunch.

You should have gotten the HF197- you will find it almost impossible to remove the 183 due to the confined location. I bought the special removal tool and still could not get it to budge. The hex nut on top is invaluable.
Yeah, you are right. I did not even try to replace it after taking off the side cover and seeing how much of a bitch it would be for me. Ah well, next time I bring it into the shop I will have them do it.
Raphy

Post by Raphy »

Hi guys! I have a question: i just got a 2013 blur. It had 941 miles, i try to talk to the guy i got it from, but he is out of country. Iwant to start fresh with it. I dont know what kind oil he puts on it. But im going with movil 1 racing 10w40 synthetic., and changing the gear oil too. I got i5w 140, how much do i need to add ,and should i go regular or synthetic?
Thanks a lot !
blurry150

Re: Oil Filter Opinions? (2013 Blur 220i)

Post by blurry150 »

This'll be heresy, I know, but I wash, rinse, flush my old ones with gas and an air compressor until I can't see any particulates in the bucket....works for me. I decided on this approach as the nearest shop charges $21 for the Piaggio filters and wanted $150 for a new belt. I opted for a Gates PL30701 818-19-28 for $35 + $10 shipping from the local O'Reilly's. Will try for a Bando next time, but am VERY pleased so far, as it seems to be almost as good as the stock 812-20-28-9.5. Which was worn out by the time I got hold of her... top speed 54mph gps which is as good or better than when I aquired her...an 825-20-30 if I could find one, would seem to be a good size IMHO too, although might be slower if the measurements are correct and compared to this 818...as most of you know already, the stock 812 is really like an 835 or so... I also had an Aprila sr-50 belt (Mitsuboshi 2MCA000014) on the blur for a week or so, until it popped. It was a just a tad on the small side. I know I should just order stuff online, but my situation doesn't always permit me that option...so I make the best of what I got, or can get...I love my local junkyard/recycling co. DH GRIFFIN, one of the largest, if not THE largest recycler on the east coast...they handled ground zero after 9-11...great place to find just about anything you can imagine...CHEAP!
-Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time - Drive it like you stole it! - Chip
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Oil Filter Opinions? (2013 Blur 220i)

Post by ericalm »

blurry150 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:24 pm This'll be heresy, I know, but I wash, rinse, flush my old ones with gas and an air compressor until I can't see any particulates in the bucket....works for me. I decided on this approach as the nearest shop charges $21 for the Piaggio filters and wanted $150 for a new belt.
You can get filters for less than $10. The Piaggio ones are no better than any of the others!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…