J Costa Variator? Anyone tried one?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

davelhunter

J Costa Variator? Anyone tried one?

Post by davelhunter »

I recently read about a new type of variator called the j costa. Has anyone tried one of these? I just spoke to a dealer in Florida and he swears by this product. It looks completely different from anything I have seen before. I did confirm that they do make one for our gy6 motors. The J Costa variator works with a different mechanism than a normal variator, by using a large number of inclined cylindrical weights pushing axially against a smooth bell-housing rather than rollers constrained by ramps. Here is the web site and a video of it in action.

www.jcosta.unifor.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-QqHE0bNjw
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Read through these two threads:

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic28828

and

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic44011

The J Costa seems like a good design, but the overall verdict is that they're expensive to buy and reweight once the supplied weights wear down. The one thing that really stops me from getting one is the issues that have been seen on the Modern Vespa forum. Basically, the variator ramps grind themselves down and cause the belt to ride outside the ramps and wear away the CVT case.

This wouldn't be as bad on our engines because there's no oil below or above the CVT case, but if the same wear issues exist, then it'd shorten the belt life once the variator wears away.

Again, it should have a different design for the GY6 engine, just wanted to make you aware of others' experiences.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Go with Dr pulley variator for 90 dollars off buggypartsnw.com

or the NCY transmission set on scooterworks for $219

Both are great variators to use and work wonderfully. No problems at all.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm not saying that the J Costa isn't worth it. By all means give it a try if you want to do some research for your sake and everyone else's. You'll definitely have our appreciation for giving it a try whether it works or not.

I've spent all the money I'm going to on upgrading my CVT, unless the J Costa turns out to be the missing CVT grail.

Also the website appears to be an error or some sort. It leads to a university search page or some sort.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
KS Power Nick
Retailer/Vendor

Post by KS Power Nick »

We have used the J.Costa AKA Turbo Kit Variators in GY6 and larger maxiscooters. We do not like them in any motor smaller than a 250cc engine.

These variators are bolt in and go units. There really is no tuning to do with them. Take a 250cc scooter and install the Turbokit variator and matching exhaust system and they work GREAT!!!

Now try that with a modified GY6 and they are usually not weighted correctly to get them into the power band of the modifed motor.

PROS:
Quite (no variator clanking)
Smooth

CONS:
Not Tunable
Expensive
waspmike

J Costa 220 Update

Post by waspmike »

As of now it looks unlikely that there will be a J Costa for the 220.

The 220 is not available in Europe, I am told, and without an actual scooter they cannot do the dyno runs to maximise the torque available.

The unit CAN be tuned by the customer by changing weights but the stock plug-and-play units are developed specifically for the application. I am told there are different bells (equivalent of ramp plates/variator ramps in conventional units) available and they are chosen along with weights to best suit the application. Without dyno runs they cannot be 100% sure of which combination is best.

I was optimistic when I discovered that the 220 uses the CVT in common with the Dink and the Joyride as J Costa has developed a unit for those, but alas although being the same diameter both those have different torque characteristics and use different weights but more importantly a different bell.

Here in Thailand we have good results with the PCX which you all probably know is a 125 and I am going to put one on my 150 G-Max eventually as there are a few 150’s here.

I am not one to give up easily so there maybe a way around this but as of now sadly…

NB. I would like to add that, carefully, one can even drill out J Costa weights for tuning as I have done so for a PCX customer who wanted 9 grams and only had 10.5 gram ones.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Are there any parts available for the 220?
There's gotta be something by now?

I have the dr pulley weights, but would be nice to get some more performance...
waspmike

Post by waspmike »

Phil. This is to distract you while you wait.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

waspmike wrote:
Phil. This is to distract you while you wait.
Consider me distracted :shock:

I am thankful for many things. Asian women are near the top of the list.

I think i'm good with upgrades for a while now, lol