Blur sidestand

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Blur sidestand

Post by illnoise »

Like usual, thinking about things that don't matter...

the preproduction 06 Blur I test rode and took photos of for 2strokebuzz had a sidestand.

the 06 Blur I bought from POC didn't

the replacement 06 Blur I bought from Zuman has one.

Did most of the 06s have a sidestand? What about the 07s?

Also, I thought sidestands were supposed to cut off the ignition for safety, but mine doesn't.

Discuss.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Mine has one, but I don't think the side stand switch was ever implemented on the Blur line. I don't think that I've seen one that didn't have the side stand (never paid too much attention, lol).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

2006 Blur: check
Sidestand: check
Lack of ignition interlock: check
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

06 blur with a side stand that the ignition ignores either way. i can start it on the side stand.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

'06 - sidestand - no interlock
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

fwiw, the Buddy sidestand doesn't have the ignition lock either.
Roninson

Post by Roninson »

07 with a sidestand, no ignition interlock.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Roninson wrote:07 with a sidestand, no ignition interlock.
+1
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

charlie55 wrote:'06 - sidestand - no interlock
+1
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I was alsway afraid to use the side stand, didn't take much to push the scoot forward to where it would just fall over.

But.. my 06 had one. No interlock.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Racenut wrote:I was alsway afraid to use the side stand, didn't take much to push the scoot forward to where it would just fall over.

But.. my 06 had one. No interlock.
Yeah, i never use it, for various reasons. It's not like it's hard to get it on the centerstand.

Bb.
Davek

Post by Davek »

I use it a decent amount.. the side stand is good on all the hills in San Francisco.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

My 06 has a sidestand and it fell over once when I used it...bent the hell out of my brake lever. Thankfully, a nearby steel pole kept the scooter from going all the way to the ground plus my lightning quick :roll: reflexes.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

have a 07 with side stand no cutoff
pajeanka

Post by pajeanka »

'07 with a side stand, no ignition interlock.
I use my side stand all of the time to mount and dismount the Blur because even with the seat cut down 2" I am still not flat footed on the Blur seat. I've discovered that the side stand helps me establish a better center of balance as I get on and off the scooter. I usually use the center stand when parked for any length of time.
(BTW . . . hubby just recently had me disconnect the ignition side stand safety feature on his '07 Kymco People 250 cause it was driving him crazy :goofy:.)
hungcanuck

Post by hungcanuck »

Just got my Blur back from the shop and literally 2 days later it fell over after using the side stand. Scratched some plastic and snapped the left brake lever in two. Please learn from my mistake people. :cry:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yeah, i never use it, i should just take it off to save the weight.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I use mine to hold the bike upright when I'm going back to close my backyard gate in the mornings.

The trick to the sidestand is NEVER use it when the bike's auto choke is active (higher RPMs) or switch out to the middle weight (yellow) clutch shoe springs so it won't engage until higher RPMS (I took this method). Also, if you notice erratic idling, avoid using it until you've solved that problem.

As for the original question, I don't think Genuine's modern bikes incorporate a sidestand kill switch (at least the PGO imports, not sure about the Stella or the new 4T Stella).
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

My mechanic never uses the sidestand on my Blur. I always have it down, even when on the center stand. This must be an old school thing, because I notice people who have been riding a long time tend to do this.

The Blur is just not conducive to hopping on while on the center stand and bumping it forward to knock it off like, say, with a Stella.

First of all, I get on my Blur like a motorcycle or horse (leg behind, not in front over the tunnel). Second, because of the height and effectiveness of the center stand the few times I've tried this I get a nasty jolt the prostate.

How one gets on their Blur would be a good thread and what would you call it? How about Cowboy style or Ninja style? Gotta throw in goofyfoot somewhere too.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

KCScooterDude wrote:My mechanic never uses the sidestand on my Blur. I always have it down, even when on the center stand. This must be an old school thing, because I notice people who have been riding a long time tend to do this.

The Blur is just not conducive to hopping on while on the center stand and bumping it forward to knock it off like, say, with a Stella.

First of all, I get on my Blur like a motorcycle or horse (leg behind, not in front over the tunnel). Second, because of the height and effectiveness of the center stand the few times I've tried this I get a nasty jolt the prostate.

How one gets on their Blur would be a good thread and what would you call it? How about Cowboy style or Ninja style? Gotta throw in goofyfoot somewhere too.
heh i have no problem getting on the thing, but i do have to put the side stand down for the dismount. and if i have a book bag behind me or some other parcel, man is it tedious getting off of that thing.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Cowboy style means doing a leapfrog movement from the rear rack area onto the saddle. That'd probably give you a little more than a "jolt" yo your prostate.

As far as the centerstand/sidestand MC tie in, it's a lot easier to start out on the sidestand (supports the bike) then rock it onto the centerstand. The heavier the bike, that more insurance you'll want popping it up there.