Shock absorber replacement.

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Irishrover

Shock absorber replacement.

Post by Irishrover »

Any suggestions for a replacement shock as mine feels quite rigid over bumps?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I've been looking for one myself, but our Blurs'/GMaxs' have a somewhat unusual rear shock in that it has an "eye" on both ends while most scooters have an "eye" on one end and a "U" on the other. I was thinking about removing my shock to make some notes on various dimensions like length from "eye" to "eye", mounting hole diameter, etc. and sending an email to one of the more popular eBay vendors that sell scooter parts to see if he can match it to a performance shock. I'd like to get one with some adjustability in preload, dampening and with a more progressive spring.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
KS Power Nick
Retailer/Vendor

Post by KS Power Nick »

babblefish wrote:I've been looking for one myself, but our Blurs'/GMaxs' have a somewhat unusual rear shock in that it has an "eye" on both ends while most scooters have an "eye" on one end and a "U" on the other. I was thinking about removing my shock to make some notes on various dimensions like length from "eye" to "eye", mounting hole diameter, etc. and sending an email to one of the more popular eBay vendors that sell scooter parts to see if he can match it to a performance shock. I'd like to get one with some adjustability in preload, dampening and with a more progressive spring.
If you could get the eye-to-eye measurement I can check around for good shocks. There are alot of dirt bike shocks that are that style that come in lots of different grades also. Just need to know that measurement.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Thanks Nick, I'll get those measurements as soon as I can. :D
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The new 220 (the proposed US version anyway) has an improved spring... Seemed a bit cushier. I'm not sure if it's a direct replacement, or available, or if it's stock on the Taiwanese 220s, but it might be worth tracking down.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Illnoise - thanks for letting us know about this. It might be an option, but I'm kinda wondering, might the heavier weight of the 220i make the suspension feel cushier?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Has anyone heard how much heavier it's going to be? In my head, it should be about the same weight, right? The engine would be heavier, but that's not a lot more metal to bump the cc's by 70... The frame should be the same size, at least in my head.

The G-Max 250 has a dual shock rear suspension, but I think a lot of that is because it uses a Kymco based engine, so it's just got the mount points for it so they thought "why not?" That's what I always figured anyway.

A stiffer sping would go a good ways toward making 2-up more comfortable.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Well, they may have beefed-up the crankcase and crankshaft to support the increased displacement plus all of the fuel injection hardware may add some weight too.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Any added weight would be unsprung, right? The body's all the same. That would affect center of gravity and handling to some degree, but wouldn't really affect the the suspension feel much, I wouldn't think.

Bb,
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Yep, most the added weight would be unsprung. The fuel injection equipment, by replacing the carb and vacuum controls would for the most part be added to the engine.

Theoretically, if the frame is the same (with the exception of a few mounting points added or taken off for the revised fuel delivery system) then the suspension should be the same as well. So if it's got a better (beefier/adjustable) rear suspension, or forks for that matter, then it should be a direct swap upgrade. Pretty neat... but given the cost of OEM parts, probably pretty pricey. Then there's the whole topic of "will Genuine import an extra supply of these in addition to those they'll bring in for expected failure rates/warranty claims/accident repairs?"
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Lostmycage wrote:Then there's the whole topic of "will Genuine import an extra supply of these in addition to those they'll bring in for expected failure rates/warranty claims/accident repairs?"
Exactly. I've been nagging them to bring in the speedos, too. If they bring in the new Blur, I think it'll force them to target the legacy market, too, there's a LOT of stuff they could be bringing in.

But note, the OP is in the UK, so his plight doesn't really have anything to do with Genuine. If the UK importer is bringing in the 220, they may have spares on hand, or could order them.

Bb.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Right on that.

One thing he could do is once the compatibility of the 150 and 220 shocks are confirmed (or denied) is contact someone in Taiwan who lives across the street from PGO (Autotech) with the PGO part number. He's checked on one or two things for me in the past and been pretty reliable in my purchases through him.
nancy

Post by nancy »

You might be able to find one at www.scooterloungeonline.com/blurparts
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/blurfrontfork

$235 for the entire front fork assembly

Almost the same price for what aftermarket shocks would cost for other bikes.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I thought we were talking about the rear shock, lol. Now that it's brought up though, has anyone ever considered opening the forks to see how long the springs are? I'm sure with a little tinkering, we could figure out if maybe a little heavier weight fork oil or maybe even source out some different springs and maybe come up with a wicked tight front to go with out not-real-yet rear suspension upgrade.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Eye to eye 250mm according to my measurements today.

KS Power Nick wrote:
babblefish wrote:I've been looking for one myself, but our Blurs'/GMaxs' have a somewhat unusual rear shock in that it has an "eye" on both ends while most scooters have an "eye" on one end and a "U" on the other. I was thinking about removing my shock to make some notes on various dimensions like length from "eye" to "eye", mounting hole diameter, etc. and sending an email to one of the more popular eBay vendors that sell scooter parts to see if he can match it to a performance shock. I'd like to get one with some adjustability in preload, dampening and with a more progressive spring.
If you could get the eye-to-eye measurement I can check around for good shocks. There are alot of dirt bike shocks that are that style that come in lots of different grades also. Just need to know that measurement.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Irishrover wrote:Eye to eye 250mm according to my measurements today.
Is that measurement with the shock installed in the scooter or removed and fully extended? Thx.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Installed.

babblefish wrote:
Irishrover wrote:Eye to eye 250mm according to my measurements today.
Is that measurement with the shock installed in the scooter or removed and fully extended? Thx.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Thanks. Unfortunately, the length of shocks are given while fully extended. I'll have to remove mine at some time to measure it. :(
beeboytroy

Post by beeboytroy »

I found this while doing some ebay browsing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Di ... 41493fe62a
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

beeboytroy wrote:I found this while doing some ebay browsing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Di ... 41493fe62a

Good find, I must enquire.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Unfortunately, it won't work without modification because the bottom end has a "fork" rather than an "eye".
ScootCorps

Post by ScootCorps »

I believe we are looking for an eye-to-eye rear shock measuring 260mm unloaded.
I have NOT verified this on my personal bike but this seems reliable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/shock-absorber- ... 2373708%26
ScootCorps

rear shock measurements

Post by ScootCorps »

just a heads-up for everyone on this thread.
I am researching a few suspension companies to start providing some select parts for the Gmax/Blur 220 specifically but also some that will work for the 150.
until then, here are the measurements for you impatient types.
length=10"(254mm) eye-to-eye
body thickness=63mm
Wire (Coil) thickness= 9mm
non-progressive spring rate
Non-adjustable mono type
for the record, OEM replacement (M24810001002) MSRP=$250.00

Knowing all this, how much would you feel is a fair price you would be willing to spend for an adjustable mono shock. what properties would you like it to have?