Blur SS 220i variator weights...

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mikie M.

Blur SS 220i variator weights...

Post by Mikie M. »

Back in August I reported that the roller weights in the stock Blur SS were 19 X 15 mm weighing 14.5 grams. I also said that if if any were to be found I would tell you.
Good news! An hour ago I had a new set of Dr. Pully slider weights installed in my Blur by my good friends at Ozark Powersports, and they work great. Take off has improved (a better launch). Acceleration has improved (it's quicker). As far as top end performance it's difficult to say. It is a very cool and wet day here so the motor may be a bit down on power. I did, however, see 68 pop up briefly on the speedometer which isn't far off for me as I'm a bit on the heavy side.
These DP sliders came from Buggy Parts NW and are item #UNI-SR-20x15-1. Mine weigh 13.5 grams. Price was $32.00 which included shipping.
A definate improvement. Now if I could only get a Yoshimura exhaust system that worked within the parameters of the chip.
KS Power Nick
Retailer/Vendor

Post by KS Power Nick »

We have the 12, 13, 14, & 15 gram sliders instock. I would like any more info on your top speed with the sliders. I am waiting on a exhuast to show up before I start messing with the weights.
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

KS Power Nick wrote:We have the 12, 13, 14, & 15 gram sliders instock. I would like any more info on your top speed with the sliders. I am waiting on a exhuast to show up before I start messing with the weights.
This is a joke, right?
KS Power Nick
Retailer/Vendor

Post by KS Power Nick »

Mikie M. wrote:
KS Power Nick wrote:We have the 12, 13, 14, & 15 gram sliders instock. I would like any more info on your top speed with the sliders. I am waiting on a exhuast to show up before I start messing with the weights.
This is a joke, right?
NO.
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

FYI, the 13.5 gram DP sliders are a must have for the SS 220i Blur.
A couple of days ago I told you that I had them installed and that take-off had improved and acceleration had really improved. Well, add top-end speed to the list. This afternoon I had my SS to 75 mph (indicated) on a level road with little or no wind. The fastest I had ever had it before was 72.
Total cost for sliders, shipping, and installation was $52.00. Money well spent.
Contact Mike at Buggy Parts NW.
goatlover

Post by goatlover »

thank you for the info.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

[quote="Mikie M."]This afternoon I had my SS to 75 mph (indicated) on a level road with little or no wind. The fastest I had ever had it before was 72./[quote]

Really? I've had my unmodified Blur 150 up to 72 indicated (it's rare though!) and when I test-rode the 220 I was cruising easily at 70 indicated, felt like it had plenty more in it, if I wasn't on Lake Shore Drive and worried about getting a ticket and/or crashing the only 220 in the USA at the time. And I am, to put it kindly, not aerodynamic at all.

I thought people were saying they were hitting close to 80 indicated, stock, on the 220 but maybe I'm wrong.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Perhaps he was taking it easy? I know that I did for the first 1000. Soon after that, I was safely blasting along the interstate at WOT with speeds ranging from about 73 to 86 or so (indicated) depending on the wind and incline. Very exciting! And no, not something that I'd do every day. I'm much more of a mid range punch kinda guy, and the Blur (I call it the "incrediBlur") is spectacular there.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Rippinyarn wrote:Perhaps he was taking it easy? I know that I did for the first 1000. Soon after that, I was safely blasting along the interstate at WOT with speeds ranging from about 73 to 86 or so (indicated) depending on the wind and incline. Very exciting! And no, not something that I'd do every day. I'm much more of a mid range punch kinda guy, and the Blur (I call it the "incrediBlur") is spectacular there.
Yeah. I've been thinking about the weights and going down a gram. But I've not done any top-end testing with it yet.

Parked it the other day on the street next to a nice line of 50cc Mios, Vinos and Metros. Never noticed how LARGE the Blur is next to those little scooters.
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

Rippinyarn wrote:Perhaps he was taking it easy? I know that I did for the first 1000. Soon after that, I was safely blasting along the interstate at WOT with speeds ranging from about 73 to 86 or so (indicated) depending on the wind and incline. Very exciting! And no, not something that I'd do every day. I'm much more of a mid range punch kinda guy, and the Blur (I call it the "incrediBlur") is spectacular there.
Tailwinds and inclines don't count. Also, I'm a 250 pounder which tends to bite into the available horsepower.
A light rider, less than 175 pounds I would say, should hit the eighty mph mark. Maybe.
A lot of variables come into play when evaluating a scooters top speed performance. Wind, grade, altitude, weight, rider position, tires and tire inflation, etc. And don't forget, like all scooters the Blurs have optimistic speedos.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'm 250lbs, too.

Not trying to stir things up, just seems like if I could hit 72 (and again, that's full tuck with a tailwind and luck, maybe downhill) on a stock 150, the 220 should cruise near 70 no problem with a rider of the same weight. But yeah, if you're still breaking it in, you don't want to push it (and you can expect higher top speed once it's broken in, which I always thought was BS but I picked up a few MPH after a few months of riding.)
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Mikie M. wrote: Tailwinds and inclines don't count.
Well, wind, weather and inclines do count in the real world where I ride. Let us know when you find a wind-less, billiard-table-flat, temperature, altitude and humidity corrected, smooth surface with no traffic and no speed limit for your testing. That actually sounds pretty good :D

A first step would be to measure the speedo optimism with a GPS, and then we could start to gather pertinent information about the top speed for stock Blur 220s. Comfortable cruising speed is something different altogether, and will change with each rider.
Rovers SC
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

Rippinyarn wrote:
Mikie M. wrote: Tailwinds and inclines don't count.
Well, wind, weather and inclines do count in the real world where I ride. Let us know when you find a wind-less, billiard-table-flat, temperature, altitude and humidity corrected, smooth surface with no traffic and no speed limit for your testing. That actually sounds pretty good :D

A first step would be to measure the speedo optimism with a GPS, and then we could start to gather pertinent information about the top speed for stock Blur 220s. Comfortable cruising speed is something different altogether, and will change with each rider.
No, inclines do not count in anybody's world when evaluating a vehicles speed. You can't go down a hill at 90 mph on your Blur and then tell everyone your scooter will do 90. For accuracy you must eliminate the variables. Do you know why STP is called STP?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Stone temple pilots? (I know I'm worthless, carry on) :D
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

This thread is about me finding a set of 13.5 gram DP sliders and how I was able to get a couple more mph out of it. Just take it for what it's worth.
gtmotor

Post by gtmotor »

Scooterworks shows the weights at 3.5 and 6.5 grams respectively.

http://www.scooterworks.com/Roller-Weig ... 9C516.aspx

Is that a typo? I wonder if it's supposed to be 13.5 and 16.5 g
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

gtmotor wrote:Scooterworks shows the weights at 3.5 and 6.5 grams respectively.

http://www.scooterworks.com/Roller-Weig ... 9C516.aspx

Is that a typo? I wonder if it's supposed to be 13.5 and 16.5 g
Scooter Works, to my knowledge, does not stock variator weights for the SS220i. Those weights you mentioned are probably for the Blur 150.
I have provided the Dr. Pully part number for the necessary slider weights in this thread, or one like it. They may be purchased from Buggy Parts NW.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

It seems that Buggy Parts NW only lists them in 12 and 14. Are they going to stock (or re-stock) the 13.5 ones?

http://www.buggypartsnw.com/index.php?k ... hop.browse
Rovers SC
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

Rippinyarn wrote:It seems that Buggy Parts NW only lists them in 12 and 14. Are they going to stock (or re-stock) the 13.5 ones?

http://www.buggypartsnw.com/index.php?k ... hop.browse
They do not keep them in stock.
Call Mike, at Buggy Parts and he will special order them for you from Dr. Pulley, like he did mine. Takes about 10 days. It's the cheapest performance gain available. If you really want your Blur to work, invest in a DP HiT clutch along with the sliders.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Okay, forgive me for being a total scooter noob, but what the heck are these "sliders' you're talking about? I see the pics, but I don't understand what they are.

~SM
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

Swordsman wrote:Okay, forgive me for being a total scooter noob, but what the heck are these "sliders' you're talking about? I see the pics, but I don't understand what they are.

~SM
"Sliders", or sliding variator weights that take the place of the variator "rollers". Because of their design "sliders" slide instead of roll when centrifugal force causes them to push the variator ramp inward causing the drive belt to move upward. This action effectively changes the front pully ratio from a higher numerical value to a lower numerical value. Because of their design, "sliders" are more efficient than "rollers" because (1) they sit slightly deeper in there respective slots (higher ratio) and when fully out the belt rides slightly higher up the variator pully (lower ratio). They tend to wear better, as well.
Think of an automobile transmission with the higher ratio as being a low gear, and the lower ratio as being the high gear.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

I'm guessing that swapping sliders in place of the stock rollers is a warranty no-no, correct?

~SM
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Swordsman wrote:I'm guessing that swapping sliders in place of the stock rollers is a warranty no-no, correct?

~SM
I doubt it.

Replacing the rollers is a very minimal change of a wear part that would need changing at some point anyway. Would putting better tires on your bike void the warranty? I don't think so.

Changing one part wouldn't void the warranty for the entire bike in any case, only for the part affected - in this case the variator, or perhaps the entire CVT - but I doubt it. If there is a failure that was not caused by the sliders, it should still be covered.
bpnwmike
Retailer/Vendor

Post by bpnwmike »

I just came across this thread.

For those interested, we have 12g, 13.5g, 14g, and 16g Dr Pulley slider weights in the 20x15 size in stock - no special ordering required!

:D
-Mike
Owner, Buggy Parts NW
www.buggypartsnw.com
Parts for buggies and scooters with GY6 and CN250/CFMoto 250 engines!
NeilV

Post by NeilV »

Hey everyone,

I live in South Africa and ride a PGO Gmax 220, my scoot has done around 13000 happy kilometers so far. You can see some pics here if you like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil-vanne ... 679418931/

Anyways, not many people here own PGO's as they are rather expensive compared to all the other chinese models available here, this forum has therefore been a great help to me with regards to finding out more about my scoot.

I've ordered a set of 13.5g Dr Pulley sliders, collecting them later today and I simply can't wait to get them installed. Anyone got some more feedback for me regarding the difference they will make?

Keep well and ride safe,
Neil.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

My 13.5 gram ones have done absolutely NOTHING for my scooter, as they are sitting in the top of my toolbox patiently waiting for me to install them. I hope to document any acceleration changes when I make the big switch, but I'll need a buddy to measure my 100ft time before and after the switch. Sometime soon, I hope, but I wanted to get my heated grips on first and I did that a couple of weekends ago.

Edit: Wrong post response - oh the humanity!
Rovers SC
viney266

Post by viney266 »

NeilV wrote:Hey everyone,

I live in South Africa and ride a PGO Gmax 220, my scoot has done around 13000 happy kilometers so far. You can see some pics here if you like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil-vanne ... 679418931/

Anyways, not many people here own PGO's as they are rather expensive compared to all the other chinese models available here, this forum has therefore been a great help to me with regards to finding out more about my scoot.

I've ordered a set of 13.5g Dr Pulley sliders, collecting them later today and I simply can't wait to get them installed. Anyone got some more feedback for me regarding the difference they will make?

Keep well and ride safe,
Neil.
^^^^ welcome to Modern Buddy...Nice to see some input from S.A. ...let us know how they feel!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Bergerbot

Re: Blur SS 220i variator weights...

Post by Bergerbot »

Mikie M. wrote:Back in August I reported that the roller weights in the stock Blur SS were 19 X 15 mm weighing 14.5 grams. I also said that if if any were to be found I would tell you.
Good news! An hour ago I had a new set of Dr. Pully slider weights installed in my Blur by my good friends at Ozark Powersports, and they work great. Take off has improved (a better launch). Acceleration has improved (it's quicker). As far as top end performance it's difficult to say. It is a very cool and wet day here so the motor may be a bit down on power. I did, however, see 68 pop up briefly on the speedometer which isn't far off for me as I'm a bit on the heavy side.
These DP sliders came from Buggy Parts NW and are item #UNI-SR-20x15-1. Mine weigh 13.5 grams. Price was $32.00 which included shipping.
A definate improvement. Now if I could only get a Yoshimura exhaust system that worked within the parameters of the chip.
Though the 19x15 roller weights you have seem to work, the stock roller weights are actually 20x15
@Bergerbot
Rush

Post by Rush »

I've been reading on the forum suggestions for anywhere from 10g to 14g sliders for the Blur 220i. I'm about 150 pounds and do alot of 60 mph highway traveling. My rpms have been flirting with the red zone lately.

Assumption is that 14g would lower my rpms and increase fuel efficiency with perhaps smoother although slightly lower acceleration from zero.
But I read someone post that 10g sliders actually helped top end and provide better low end acceleration because the lower weight of the sliders themselves provided less "resistance" for the engine.

Anyone have any comparative experience with slider weights on an otherwise stock Blur 220?

Thanks!
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I installed my Dr. Pulley sliding variator weights over the weekend, and I'll be riding it all week. I'll try a top speed run on the I-75 this afternoon, but on my ride in down Woodward this morning I noticed a very reactive throttle with a small change in "pep" off the line. Not a huge difference, but it seemed to carry into the already excellent mid-range performance that the Blur has. So far, so good.

I think that I got the 13.5 gm version of the DP sliders from Buggy Parts NW.
Rovers SC
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Update: I can see no real world top speed difference using the 13.5gm Dr. Pulley sliders. It might be our crazy wind (that blows both ways?), but the high speed RPMs and indicated speed are very close to what it was with the stock rollers. My top speed can be anywhere from an indicated 75 to 82 depending on the wind and whatever slight level variance that I happen to be riding on at the time. I don't think that there is a truly flat section on the parts of I-75 that I ride on my way home.

I can also report that the sliders seem to add "lightness" to the flywheel effect and that the scoot seems a bit faster to accelerate. I love it even more after riding it for a week and can't really imagine going back to the stock set-up.

After this mod, I think that I have enough off the line acceleration and a decent top speed for me to stop any more mods. I'd still love a slightly more characteristic exhaust tone muffler, but it would have to be very cost-effective indeed.
Rovers SC
davelhunter

13.5g = no performance gain

Post by davelhunter »

I just finished testing with 13.5g Dr Pulley sliders. There was no performance gain. I actually lost speed. 3mph slower on top end speed and equal or slightly slower on takeoff also.
davelhunter

Rollers back in.... Better performance

Post by davelhunter »

Just put the stock rollers back in. Top speed is back and takeoff is faster
also.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I love mine - they're staying in :D
Rovers SC
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

Just ordered some 13.5's but I probably won't be riding on them very much as I am selling the bike. :cry: Oh well, going to pick up a P200 today on the cheap and I don't need three scooters......or do I??
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I just sold my P200 to a club mate and bought an Aprilia SR50. Good times in the used scooter market! The Blur is a keeper.
Rovers SC
davelhunter

20x15 13.5g Dr. Pulley sliders for Blur 220i

Post by davelhunter »

After installing the 13.5g sliders, I went back to stock. I did not have any performance increase, although some people did. I am putting mine in the for sale section of anyone wants them.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

I just installed a new belt and Dr. Pully 13.5 gram sliders in my Blur. Both the belt and rollers were quite worn with ~9,500 miles on them so it was time for a change. I just got back from my shakedown ride and overall I am happy. Primarily my rollers were getting shot so now acceleration is much smoother obviously.

As far as acceleration is concerned, seems more like the bike spools up faster rather than shoots off the line. It's the same mid-range that the bike already has that seems "fatter" in the way the bike pulls rather than down low. In corners, where you can't necessarily just open it all the way, it feels like it will pull harder but in a smooth manner with the sliders in. I got it up to 75 indicated which is about where i was before if I don't have space to really open it up. I may do that later today! :D Don't expect a wholesale change with these but as I get used to the action of the rollers vs. sliders I think I'll find out how much I like these better.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

Some photos and a video from the Belt/Slider install.

Seriously worn belt

New Sliders 13.5 gram.

DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

edit: deleted.
Last edited by DCUNITED4LIFE on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dongarritas

Mods

Post by dongarritas »

Well, I guess I got one of the "special" runs of the Blurs. Approaching 1200 miles on mine, have never topped 9000 RPM, REGULARLY highway ride, easily, consistently cruise 72-76, with throttle left , have hit 88-89 many times. Haven't done GPS read,as I am too busy grinning, but going with experience in traveling same roads in my truck, and familiarity with traffic speeds, I'd say 70-80 real MPH is about right. As far as any sliders go, mine and others experience says that they wear MUCH faster, and give minimal, if any performance gain. I am so happy with my 220i, and the only mod I am seriously considering is the seat, as I am 6'4", 235 lbs. Other than the heat(engine warning) blip on occasion, this is the perfect city/highway scoot, and the small fuel tank ensures You can't push too hard without a rest. 70 MPG in 90-100 degree San Antonio weather. BTW, I have a Silverwing as well, that has been mighty lonely the last 1100+ miles :D
Rush

Post by Rush »

Hi Dongarritas.

Wow 70 mpg and 70-80mph at 235lbs? I'm full of questions.
Definitely check it with a GPS for speed and distance.
I'd love to find out if your stock Blur is getting these figures. Do you have a 2010, 2011, or 2012 model?
I wonder if they've made any adjustments. The only way I get those numbers is if I don't "calibrate" PGO's optimism.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

illnoise wrote:I'm 250lbs, too.

Not trying to stir things up, just seems like if I could hit 72 (and again, that's full tuck with a tailwind and luck, maybe downhill) on a stock 150, the 220 should cruise near 70 no problem with a rider of the same weight. But yeah, if you're still breaking it in, you don't want to push it (and you can expect higher top speed once it's broken in, which I always thought was BS but I picked up a few MPH after a few months of riding.)
Hmm. Posts like these worry me. I'm 225, nekkie. I have 2k miles on my Blur, and I barely can hit 76 indicated. Top speed cruising maybe at 70 or 72 on a non-windy day.

Was reading this thread because I was thinking about going to improve my take off, since most of my riding is city streets, and I won't often get to enjoy the top end.

Maybe I should have someone at the dealer take my Blur for a spin and test it's top speed >.< Posts I've seen in this forum of people going up to 89 indicated for a 220 drive me mad. I don't think I've hit 9000 rpm though - yesterday I was WOT for a minute and barely hi 73, and at WOT I was just above 8,000 rpm.
Edwub

Re: Mods

Post by Edwub »

dongarritas wrote:Well, I guess I got one of the "special" runs of the Blurs. Approaching 1200 miles on mine, have never topped 9000 RPM, REGULARLY highway ride, easily, consistently cruise 72-76, with throttle left , have hit 88-89 many times. Haven't done GPS read,as I am too busy grinning, but going with experience in traveling same roads in my truck, and familiarity with traffic speeds, I'd say 70-80 real MPH is about right. As far as any sliders go, mine and others experience says that they wear MUCH faster, and give minimal, if any performance gain. I am so happy with my 220i, and the only mod I am seriously considering is the seat, as I am 6'4", 235 lbs. Other than the heat(engine warning) blip on occasion, this is the perfect city/highway scoot, and the small fuel tank ensures You can't push too hard without a rest. 70 MPG in 90-100 degree San Antonio weather. BTW, I have a Silverwing as well, that has been mighty lonely the last 1100+ miles :D

:cry:

Genuine lists top speed around 75mph on it's website. One thing I wonder is whether you guys with 89 indicated are actually way off. I'd love to head to head compare our Blurs with a GPS. Some people in thi forum have reported a 5% difference, others closer to 20.

If you're at 15%-20% off and I'm at 5%-10% we may not be that far apart.
That'd put me at 72.5 and you at 75.5 at 5/15 respectively. Actually close to each other, AND close to Genuines stated top speed.
Makes sense...and makes me feel better :P

If I'm
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Edwub wrote:
dongarritas wrote:Well, I guess I got one of the "special" runs of the Blurs. Approaching 1200 miles on mine, have never topped 9000 RPM, REGULARLY highway ride, easily, consistently cruise 72-76, with throttle left , have hit 88-89 many times. Haven't done GPS read,as I am too busy grinning, but going with experience in traveling same roads in my truck, and familiarity with traffic speeds, I'd say 70-80 real MPH is about right. As far as any sliders go, mine and others experience says that they wear MUCH faster, and give minimal, if any performance gain. I am so happy with my 220i, and the only mod I am seriously considering is the seat, as I am 6'4", 235 lbs. Other than the heat(engine warning) blip on occasion, this is the perfect city/highway scoot, and the small fuel tank ensures You can't push too hard without a rest. 70 MPG in 90-100 degree San Antonio weather. BTW, I have a Silverwing as well, that has been mighty lonely the last 1100+ miles :D

:cry:

Genuine lists top speed around 75mph on it's website. One thing I wonder is whether you guys with 89 indicated are actually way off. I'd love to head to head compare our Blurs with a GPS. Some people in thi forum have reported a 5% difference, others closer to 20.

If you're at 15%-20% off and I'm at 5%-10% we may not be that far apart.
That'd put me at 72.5 and you at 75.5 at 5/15 respectively. Actually close to each other, AND close to Genuines stated top speed.
Makes sense...and makes me feel better :P

If I'm
The blur's speedo is 15.5% off... so at an indicated 89 you are doing 75 real mph.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Sure, but is everyone's the same % off? I doubt it. Seems to be hugely variable for the Buddy's (even amongst the same year models), and I don't see why the Blur's would be any different. I know I've seen at least two people claim theirs were more accurate (here in this forum) One person said around 5%, the other under 10% optimistic.

Gives me hope! Obviously I really need to get my hands on a GPS unit and figure out how optimistic my own scoot is. If mine is 15% off, I'll be really, really disappointed - cause then I'm getting far worse top speeds without being heavier than some of the riders in this thread.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Edwub wrote:Sure, but is everyone's the same % off? I doubt it. Seems to be hugely variable for the Buddy's (even amongst the same year models), and I don't see why the Blur's would be any different. I know I've seen at least two people claim theirs were more accurate (here in this forum) One person said around 5%, the other under 10% optimistic.

Gives me hope! Obviously I really need to get my hands on a GPS unit and figure out how optimistic my own scoot is. If mine is 15% off, I'll be really, really disappointed - cause then I'm getting far worse top speeds without being heavier than some of the riders in this thread.
I doubt there all different. its just a wheel sensor and electronics, not much to have alot of variance. most motorcycle are all like this as well, they intentionally pad the speedo's. Its not just sloppy engineering, its made that way.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

omniphil wrote:
Edwub wrote:Sure, but is everyone's the same % off? I doubt it. Seems to be hugely variable for the Buddy's (even amongst the same year models), and I don't see why the Blur's would be any different. I know I've seen at least two people claim theirs were more accurate (here in this forum) One person said around 5%, the other under 10% optimistic.

I doubt there all different. its just a wheel sensor and electronics, not much to have alot of variance. most motorcycle are all like this as well, they intentionally pad the speedo's. Its not just sloppy engineering, its made that way.
I don't want to dig through posts, but at least two Blur owners have stated they are in the 5 to 10% optimistic range (one of them commented that his seemed more accurate than people who are closer to 15, such as yourself).

In the 'General Discussion' forum, Buddy owners have reported a larger range. Some people are closer to 20% off (and have reportedly done the GPS test at multiple speed points) and others are closer to 10%. Some are 15%. Some are 12%. etc.

Intentional padding of speedos we all agree on, it's the degree at which each individual scooter is padded that differs somewhat. Does it vary between different years? 220's in the USA have been manufactured in 2010, 2011, and 2012 so far. Perhaps they tweaked it. Perhaps they didn't.

For the Buddy's, it seems to vary between different years (for the same CC class), so I would expect it would for the Blur as well. We just haven't had enough people with Blurs do 'actual vs indicated' tests to really say yet, in my opinion. Anyway, I really need to get my hands on a GPS and just test my own.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Edwub wrote:
omniphil wrote:

I don't want to dig through posts, but at least two Blur owners have stated they are in the 5 to 10% optimistic range (one of them commented that his seemed more accurate than people who are closer to 15, such as yourself).

In the 'General Discussion' forum, Buddy owners have reported a larger range. Some people are closer to 20% off (and have reportedly done the GPS test at multiple speed points) and others are closer to 10%. Some are 15%. Some are 12%. etc.

Intentional padding of speedos we all agree on, it's the degree at which each individual scooter is padded that differs somewhat. Does it vary between different years? 220's in the USA have been manufactured in 2010, 2011, and 2012 so far. Perhaps they tweaked it. Perhaps they didn't.

For the Buddy's, it seems to vary between different years (for the same CC class), so I would expect it would for the Blur as well. We just haven't had enough people with Blurs do 'actual vs indicated' tests to really say yet, in my opinion. Anyway, I really need to get my hands on a GPS and just test my own.
I would agree, get your hands on a real gps and see where you're at so we can compare...
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

omniphil wrote:The blur's speedo is 15.5% off... so at an indicated 89 you are doing 75 real mph.
Not mine. Mine reads about 3mph fast every time I go by a mounted radar station(~5% off).