Blur SS 220i variator weights...

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Rippinyarn wrote:I love mine - they're staying in :D
Rip - so you'd suggest switching from stock to 13.5g sliders? I remember you use a windshield and (had) a rack/topcase. Any mods other than sliders on yours?

Looks like most people here (except Dave) report an increase in take off with a little better acceleration, and none or a very minor decrease in top end. As I'm mostly doing city driving, that sounds like it makes sense for me to do too. I wanted to keep everything stock (for ease, warranty, and cost) but I might order the part and wait for my next service and ask the dealer to install them.

Oh, I wanted a stronger horn but costs add up.

Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Yup, I did the Dr. Pulley sliders in 13.5 from Buggy Works or whatever and they are great. No decrease in top speed that I can tell and it seems to get there a bit faster. Not a huge difference but no real downside either.

I have heated grips, did some Ebay LEDs to replace the tiny bulbs in the headlight, and have some Pilot Sports on there, am on my second belt and air filter, and have had the ECU over-temp thing done by my dealer/Genuine. I'm going to see if I can get a Puig sportcity windshield to fit as it will fit my Aprilia as well. I replaced the horn with a slightly louder one from Genuine. I'm putting some panniers on it as soon as I work out a way to support them better. Other than that, it's oil changes and keep on ridin'. A great scoot.

(I'm also on my third tach cluster... apparently they are better now, we'll see). At least I wrote down my mileage with each change so I can total it. Sheesh.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Rippinyarn wrote:and have had the ECU over-temp thing done by my dealer/Genuine.

I asked the guy at Genuine who gave me the model year info about this and this is what he said:

"It actually a built in safety mechanism to help keep your scooter from overheating, it goes into cool down mode. Most people that have experienced it have been on long trips riding full throttle. I wouldn't call it a fix, because it really isn't broken , the reprogrammed ECU just allows a higher threshold. You would have to leave it at the dealer so they could send it to us to reprogram. Unless you experience the cool down, there is really no need to do it, unless you really want to. We would reprogram for free, but the dealer might charge labor to take it out and reinstall it if you have not experienced the cool down mode.
"
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Yep, and my story was an eight mile commute at freeway speeds would set it off, even on a day that wasn't hot. The change is they either make the temp threshold higher or they remove that programming altogether (just like the 150 Blur and every Buddy before the 170i). They recommend keeping the oil in good shape, as the Blur is both oil and air-cooled, but there is no other change to the scoot when you get your ECU back. It's located on the left side up and behind the underseat storage box. Takes about five minutes to take it out.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

i going to try a set of the 13.5 gram sliders when they do my 600 first service. I DP Hit Clutch was mentioned and a great improvement, how does this make any difference in performance once the clutch engages? Does the stock clutch slip?
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Rippinyarn wrote:Yep, and my story was an eight mile commute at freeway speeds would set it off, even on a day that wasn't hot. The change is they either make the temp threshold higher or they remove that programming altogether (just like the 150 Blur and every Buddy before the 170i). They recommend keeping the oil in good shape, as the Blur is both oil and air-cooled, but there is no other change to the scoot when you get your ECU back. It's located on the left side up and behind the underseat storage box. Takes about five minutes to take it out.
Just experienced the issue today. It wasn't really an extended ride(28 miles total), but the first time I really pushed the engine at all. After about 10 miles at 55-65MPH the red engine light illuminated. No difference in power was noted, but it backfired every time I slowed down and the idle was about 1000 RPM's higher than normal. I was afraid to turn it off so just kept going home. When I got there I shut it down and restarted it, no light and it seemed back to normal. I will be getting the reflash done ASAP. very disappointing for such a "sporting" scooter. My 150cc TGB never did that when I had it pinned at 60mph on the same drive. I think I should have bought a CBR 250, and I may just do that...