status of my new Blur 220I

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AL GRANDE

Post by AL GRANDE »

As of April 8, 2011, so far 115 miles. No oil loss or burning, that's good (I had a bad experience with that with my 1st scooter, Kymco Grand Vista 250).

Rpms is still hovering around 1800 - 1750, dipping down to 1500 after riding around a bit. Twice, as I sat at a red light, the rpm needle shot up to 3200 with a corresponding increase of engine noise. After a few seconds, it dropped down to 1500. That was weird, but it hasn't occurred again.

Now, my complaint is that my Blur doesn't have quick take off. I'm not gunning the engine, because I'm still breaking it in. First, to let you all know, I'm a heavy guy + 300 lbs, so, I have to give my Blur extra throttle to get it moving. Usually, the rpms will read a little over 4000 before it budges, but, once it gets moving, it moves.

Also, when I get her up to around 45 mph (indicated) the rpms read close to 7000 rpms. Is this normal?

Will I get better take-off speed after the first service or after 1,000 miles when it's fully broken in?

I don't want you all to think I'm whining about this scooter - I absolutely love this bike! But, my old Grand Vista 250 had better take-off, but not the nimbleness. My Blur easily maneuvers between cars (good ol' lane splitting) and feels lite not heavy.

Should I upgrade my CVT to get better take-off or should I just shut my mouth and accept this? I really want to know.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

I posted nearly the same questions when I first got mine.

Within 1K mi on the odometer, the motor will loosen up and it'll be faster.

Your tach reading is about normal, I think. Mine runs a little lower but I'm a light, skinny sort.

Dropping a gram in the variator weights will give you some better off-the-line response.
AL GRANDE

Post by AL GRANDE »

Thanks, Killbilly. It's good to know that other Blur riders have experienced this before.

When I bring it in for its 1st service (after 300 miles) I ask the dealer about changing the variator weights by a gram. Maybe, I'll ask them about switching to a Dr Pulley variator and a Malossi clutch with kevlar belt. If it isn't too expensive that is.
killbilly

Re: status of my new Blur 220I

Post by killbilly »

AL GRANDE wrote:Thanks, Killbilly. It's good to know that other Blur riders have experienced this before.

When I bring it in for its 1st service (after 300 miles) I ask the dealer about changing the variator weights by a gram. Maybe, I'll ask them about switching to a Dr Pulley variator and a Malossi clutch with kevlar belt. If it isn't too expensive that is.
Al,

Before you do that, check on your warranty. The 2 year warranty from Genuine is a big selling point, and you wouldn't want to do anything to compromise that warranty. The variator weights might not invalidate it, but the Malossi clutch could.

Were it me, I would change the variator weights first, ride it a while (the motor loosening up is a progressive thing over time) and then decide on the new clutch if you want it.
AL GRANDE

Post by AL GRANDE »

Today I took my Blur in for its 1st service and oil change. Everything checked out OK. Rode it around a bit it ran fine. Later on, I decide to take it out for a night ride (10 PM). Again, it ran fine. I gunned it twice to run a yellow light - I know I shouldn't be gunning the engine but, I wasn't thinking at the time.

As I rode on for a few miles, I came to stop at a red light and glanced down at my rpm dial, the needle was hovering around 2300 then to 2500 rpms, but the engine itself sounded as if it was a regular idle (about 1500 rpms). I decided to ride back home. Every time I came to a stop, the rpm needle was showing the idle at 2300 or 2500 rpms, but the engine didn't sound as if it was idling that high. As I parked my scoot in my parking space, the engine still running, the needle was hovering at 4000 rpms, but the engine idling sounded the same as if it were idling at 1500 rpms. I shut the engine off and the rpm needle stayed at 4000! Weird. I'm letting the engine cool a little and I'm going to start it again and see where the rpm needle will read.

Is this a problem with the TPS I've read in other postings? Is it safe to ride my Blur around until I can take it back the dealership to check it out?
:?
AL GRANDE

Post by AL GRANDE »

OK, just got back from starting my engine. When I returned from my night ride, I wrote that the rpm needle stayed at 4000 rpms when I shut the engine off. I let it cool down for about 30 minutes. I go back out there and I see that the rpm needle slid down to around 2500. The needle must have unstuck itself and slid downward from 4000. Anyway, I turned the key and let the rpm do its start-up routine. It flew upward then fell back down to 0 rpms. I started the engine and the rpm needle went up to 2100 rpms (normal) for a couple of seconds then back down to 1800 then down to 1500 rpms (also, normal).

I think the rpm needle gets stuck in certain positions.

The engine sounds fine, it's the rpm needle that's acting whacky. I just hope this isn't a sign that I may have to replace the whole tachometer. :cry:
Anyway, thank God Genuine Scooter company offers a 2 year warranty on all parts. :)
AL GRANDE

Stalled for the 1st time

Post by AL GRANDE »

I was waiting in the left turn lane for what seemed like forever and when the light turned green I twisted the throttle and my Blur stalled! No flashing warning lights or any sign of engine trouble. It just stalled.

The car behind me began honking so, I squeezed my left brake lever, pressed the start button and viola, my Bur started right up.

Can't figure out why it stalled in the first place. The only thing that came to my mind is that as I waited for that damn light to turn green, my idle was dropping to around 1200 for a minute or so. Usually, it hovers around 1800 to 1750 rpms, and after a long ride it idles around 1500 rpms then goes back to 1800 or 1750. The few times it dropped to 1200, the computer control would bring up to 1750.

It's just weird that after 890 miles, the idle sputtered a little then when I twisted the throttle it stalled. It didn't happen while I rode it home (about 6 miles). When I got back to my apartment parking spot, I let the engine idle for a good minute and watched as the rpms wavered between 1800 and 1750. All usual :? I killed the engine and went inside my small abode.

Other than that, my Blur is a great bike. Handles great and is very agile in traffic. Thank God, here in California they haven't outlawed lane-splitting. I love riding in between the lane by passing all the angry cagers waiting for the light to turn green. A few scream out the F-word at me for doing this - I generally wave back with a smile. Others call me a homo (or words to that affect) and tell me to get a real man's bike, whatever that is. I just wave back and smile. That seems to anger them more - interesting isn't it?

Also, I'm noticing a considerable increase in torque as my engine nears 1,000 miles and more horsepower. That's good! I thought I bought a cheap under powered scooter, like my old Kymco.

Anyway, I just wanted to give everybody a heads up on my Blur, since I haven't posted in a few weeks. Too busy riding this great bike and having fun doing it :D
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Apparently, they all do that :? Welcome to the community, Al Grande!

I think that everybody here has had a few stalls sitting at stop lights. And for sure we all have the "variable idle". Other than being a nuisance, I think that it's "normal", more or less.

I just had the tach weirdness too, but it worked itself out and is back to normal. My dealer was made aware, but his new tech at Genuine doesn't return phone calls, apparently. Now three weeks and counting.

I'm ready for new tires too, probably 1k miles sooner than expected. I have been commuting on the superhighway with the scoot, so some accelerated wear is possible, but still, new tires at 3600 miles? I'll let you know how my new tires feel when they are installed.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
AL GRANDE

Stalled for the 1st time

Post by AL GRANDE »

Thanks, for responding Rippinyarn. It's good to know other Blur owners are experiencing the same "weirdness" in their Blurs.

The stalling hasn't occurred again, which is a good thing. My Blur is running good and I should stop obsessing over any unusual little thing. It always starts up every morning to get me to work, and it takes me on all my errands around town. I'm glad about that.

The Blur is still a great bike and I don't regret buying it.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I just saw a post in here about another member running premium fuel in his..Just for giggles try a tank of 93 and see what happens?

I"m assuming you are running 87...Just an idea...if I"m right, lets see what happens
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?