blur 220i mpg

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ggs34

blur 220i mpg

Post by ggs34 »

what kind of gas mileage are you guys gettingon the new blur220i ?
chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

recently had first service at 300 miles.had a slight bump in mpg from 71 to 73.that said im sure i could get 80 but i absolutely positively must be first off the line at every light.ride it like its under warranty(while it still is).
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

After just over 3000 miles:
Best 77.2 (one month ago - city street commuting)
Worst 66.4 (five weeks ago - lots of highway commuting)
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

I'm seeing 75mpg on the backroads and 65mpg on the highway.

The thing I wonder is that since the Speedo is about 10 MPH off on the highway, I now wonder if the Odometer is off too. That would make my MPG figures about 5-7 mpg lower...
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

yes, it is a bit challenging coming up with an accurate figure since our odometers are in BDUs (Blur Distance Units)!
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

blurblaine wrote:yes, it is a bit challenging coming up with an accurate figure since our odometers are in BDUs (Blur Distance Units)!
I guess I need to find some of those marked mile signs on the roads and see how accurate it is...
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

You could map the route with google maps or the like, then compare to what you got with the odo.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Cheshire wrote:You could map the route with google maps or the like, then compare to what you got with the odo.
Oh, that gives me another idea. I could just have my phone do it too, there a couple of apps that track distance via gps
ggs34

mpg blur

Post by ggs34 »

my vespa gt 200 gets 65 to 70 mpg so that is about right dont know why my vespa can go 80mph (spedo reading)and why the blur cant go that fast i do not understand
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I've only got 150 miles on my Blur, and haven't gone for first service yet.

Dealer dropped it off only half full.

18.1 miles: got about 1.2 gallons of low octane gas 87
note: gas indicator was at three blinking units:
doesn't the tank hold about 2 gallons? I clearly either under filled, or my indicator is off or worries for me and wants to be sure I don't let myself get stranded, hehe. After adding 1.2 gallons, it went back up to full.

18.2 miles: noticed tach became off.
idle used to be between 1.5 to 2k, acceleration from 4 to 6k.
idle was 0 to .2k, acceleration is 2 to 4ish
by 21 miles, fixed itself. (whew, or warning sign?)

at 84.5 miles, got 1.45 gallons of 89..
Note: my gas indicator was down to two blinking units. Adding 1.45 gallons took the indicator back up to full.

Currently at about 150 miles, gas indicator is down to four units. Will get gas soon, I guess.

So, yes, I got both 87 and 89 gas. Second time, the 87 pump was broken and I was in a rush.

Even though I went from "full" to two blinking units in ~65 miles, I did only add 1.2 gallons at that first fill up. I haven't gotten enough miles or fill ups to really calculate anything, but I was more curious what people think of their gas tank indicators.

When do you fill up, and how much do you usually add to your tank? I was pretty amazed at how quick the light was going down, though I now my Blur isn't broken in, and it's city traffic driving. (Bad for gas, but at least city traffic is great for break in!) The tank does hold 7.5 liters, right? That should be just about 2 gallons. I mention it again, because I'm pretty sure I filled it to just barely overflowing when I added 1.45 gallons, and the indicator had been at two blinking units when I pulled into the station.

If it continues this way, I guess I'll probably get cocky and not even worry when it's blinking at three units and just wait til 2 every time before I find a station. (1 unit seems pushing it).
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I had poor mileage during the break-in period - ranging from a low of about 55 and up as it got broken in. My best ever was 88 MPG (but see below). It's much worse on the highway - back into the 60s.

I've only ever been able to pump about 1.5 gallons in, but I get freaky when the whole display is blinking at me. And remember, the Blur odometer runs in a non-standard measurement called a BDU - a Blur Distance Unit. I can't remember what it is, but it's less than a mile... I try not to care too much about it, and figure that I'm getting less MPG than I calculate. No big whoop.

Document your tachometer in good and bad "modes" (video works well - I put mine on youtube 8) ) and if it happens again, ask your dealer to order you a replacement under the warranty program. Mine has been replaced once and the replacement was bad too, but mysteriously fixed itself after a week on the scoot. Weird, huh? It's a known issue... and they only have gunmetal colored displays (the replace the whole "dash" to replace the tach).
Rovers SC
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Indicator showing two blinking lights now, about 65 to 70 miles past fill up. Yeah, early but that's twice in a row it went from full to two blinking lights in only 65 to 70 miles.

Only work commuting, so identical conditions. Will get gas in the AM, curious how much it'll take.

Can't wait until life allows me to get some weekend fun riding in, and especially to break it in. Glad to see you got good improvements, Rip, on MPG.

Edit: if the tach goes weird again, I'm planning on documenting it asap! I had read your posts so when it first happened I was pretty dissapointed, but it hasn't happened since.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Without crying too much, it also bugs me that the first "half" of the tank lasts a lot longer (more miles) than the second half. I can now go about 30 miles without anything happening on the gauge, then another 40 or so to get to half, then about 20 until I get the blinking stuff. I find it kind of endearing :D
Rovers SC
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Cool, that's why I posted in this thread - to learn more about other peoples indicators. Sounds like you're getting ~90miles before blinking, I'm about 65ish pre-breakin. Looking forward to seeing it take longer and longer to go down :D

I hadn't paid too much attention, but roughly I think the trend on mine is the same. It takes a bit for the gauge to start to drop, but once it does, it just races to the bottom. I guess they somehow mixed up a linear display with an exponential one, hehe.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Any feel for the mileage penalty if you tend to cane the heck out of it as opposed to riding like a grandma?
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Alright, I made myself a Fuelly account and imported in my data. I was keeping rough notes in my email as a scooter log, so it's approximately reasonable in accuracy.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/edwub/blur

My MPG is hovering between 45 to 50mpg. I'm riding cautiously for break in, but this is entirely city driving, and during my commute I come to a complete stop at least once every 2 minutes of riding.

I drove for leisure and a bunch of canyons (got lost too) going to NoHo scooters this weekend, and I think the lack of redlight/greenlight/repeat helped since I moved up to 53.1. I filled up just after my first service, so I'm looking forward to seeing if I gain anything by next fillup.

And hopefully as the miles tack on, it keeps bumping up. About ~300 on the odo now.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

"Approximately Reasonable?" Is that a scientific term? :)

That mileage range is right up there with my 800cc Honda. Granted, I don't spend much time in stop & go traffic but in mixed riding, I get low to mid 40s, near 50 in pure highway driving.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

heheheh.

Fr a couple of points I had notes like "~1.2 at ~200" That may have been 1.16, that may have been 1.24 gallons. It may have been 196 miles, it may have been 204 on the odo. So I had to take a few guesses and stretch my memory, as I think those would affect MPG by a few. But now that I have a fuelly account, I'm going to be very accurate for my next several fill-ups.

Other people on fuelly seem to be hitting about 70mpg (http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/genuine/blur)

Judging by Rip's comments above, I'm guessing mine will slowly start to get bumped up, though I suspect my city-driving conditions to be harsher on mileage, so I don't think I'll hit 70.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Just had to mess with you a little bit. :)

70, or very near it, would be more like it.

I used to have a Suzuki GS450 that consistently got around 60 mpg. That was mixed riding. Sadly, the last of the line, the GS500, has recently been discontinued. I'm told because it could no longer pass EPA regs.

But the 70s +/- is quite respectable. You have to get a pretty small bore scoot to better that. And the performance won't be up there with a Blur, either.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

60mpg is pretty easy for me, even with lots of stop an go traffic. I usually get about 65mpg on the highway, and 70mpg on the backroads. Its hard to imagine getting in the 40's unless your towing a trailer behind that thing...
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

There again, it's sitting in that sweet spot between regular and maxi scoots.

If you were to load it down with the features and plastic of a maxi, the engine would be barely adequate. Check the weight of a Burgman 400 some time.

It appeals to me because I could see myself zooming the back roads around here and feel neither undergunned nor overweight.

What else is there in this range, as regards price and displacement? There's the SYM HD200, assuming they can still be found. That model was said to perform much better than its size would suggest.

There are other 200 but I wonder if they would be considered high-performance?
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

omniphil wrote:60mpg is pretty easy for me, even with lots of stop an go traffic. I usually get about 65mpg on the highway, and 70mpg on the backroads. Its hard to imagine getting in the 40's unless your towing a trailer behind that thing...

Brand new stock Blur. No rack or case. I could lose a few pounds, but I'm under 220. Add on an armored jacket and full face helmet. (Sneakers, jeans, normal clothes otherwise). Only added weight inside the pet carrier: wallet, keys, and a sandwich for lunch.
(and a normal sized sandwich, not a scooby-do sized monstrosity).

That fuelly link above covers my first ~270miles according to the odometer, though those were all PRE-first service and mostly in heavy city traffic.

As Rip above said he started off around 55, I'm not too worried that I'll catch up over the next thousand miles. :) fingers crossed! (otherwise, I guess I'll have to start swapping the sandwich with a salad :()
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Edwub wrote:.....That fuelly link above covers my first ~270miles according to the odometer.....
Ah. Is the odo on the 220 actually measuring miles, or, like the 150, is it in BDUs (Blur Distance Units), which are somewhere between kilometers and miles? On my 150, 1 "mile" on the odo was more like .65 or thereabouts. That'd really throw your MPG figures off.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Edwub wrote:
omniphil wrote:60mpg is pretty easy for me, even with lots of stop an go traffic. I usually get about 65mpg on the highway, and 70mpg on the backroads. Its hard to imagine getting in the 40's unless your towing a trailer behind that thing...

Brand new stock Blur. No rack or case. I could lose a few pounds, but I'm under 220. Add on an armored jacket and full face helmet. (Sneakers, jeans, normal clothes otherwise). Only added weight inside the pet carrier: wallet, keys, and a sandwich for lunch.
(and a normal sized sandwich, not a scooby-do sized monstrosity).

That fuelly link above covers my first ~270miles according to the odometer, though those were all PRE-first service and mostly in heavy city traffic.

As Rip above said he started off around 55, I'm not too worried that I'll catch up over the next thousand miles. :) fingers crossed! (otherwise, I guess I'll have to start swapping the sandwich with a salad :()
I weigh 200 lbs, so i'm not that much off. I have been riding with my top case on the rear and I have the windshield installed too. My last tank was in the 50 degree weather, usually with my motorcycle the MPG drops when the temps get low, but I don't think the Blur has an air temp sensor, so I don't think it cares. The blur really likes the cold weather. When its 85+ out you have to be careful so as not to trip the engine temp light, but now that its colder out I can feel the extra power, I am running on the highway with much less throttle and that makes my MPG's go up too. I got over 71mpg on my last tank, that's a personal record for highway running.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I know I'm overfilling on gas, cause some overflows and the last two times I saw some under the scoot when I pushed off. But I don't think I'm off by too much.

I wasn't sure how much I trusted the natural stopping point of the pump. I know at least in the car the autostop at my local stations is off by up to half a gallon.

Not sure about your states, but in California we have this obnoxious collar that needs to be pushed back in order for the thing to be active.

I think from now on I'll be cautious and not worry about pumping to "where I can see it." The fuel indicator seems pretty optimistic and drops away exponentially, I feel like it'll read full whether I give it 1.0 gallon or 1.5.

Might help me be more accurate with my calculations if I don't try to top off. Silly me!