My bad - Blur 220 and octane

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scoot Dog

Post by Scoot Dog »

Just looked under the seat of my new, 2013 Blur. The sticker clearly states: Fuel: 91 (H+M)/2 Octane or above (Unleaded Gasoline Only)

That's what I'll be using.
Ormond

Deleted

Post by Ormond »

Deleted
Last edited by Ormond on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Omniphil: or does the sticker say '91' because the manual states 92 and that's just something an US office worker rounded to? An error, or factual?

There's no indication that the number is actually correct just because it's there. The most important thing is WHY is that on the sticker: where'd it come from? What source?

Again, in my opinion, Genuine owes us and needs to get to the bottom of it and finish the discussion once and for all.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Edwub wrote:Omniphil: or does the sticker say '91' because the manual states 92 and that's just something an US office worker rounded to? An error, or factual?

There's no indication that the number is actually correct just because it's there. The most important thing is WHY is that on the sticker: where'd it come from? What source?

Again, in my opinion, Genuine owes us and needs to get to the bottom of it and finish the discussion once and for all.
The manual states 95 doesn't it? Or maybe it was 92.. (But that's not the US octane rating, 92 octane in Taiwan is roughly equivalent to 88-89 octane in the US)
The sticker says 91 because that's what almost any high performance car states that need premium gas as 91 is the highest available in parts of the country. Generally gas stickers in the US are either 87 or 91. I doubt there would be a typo on a US gas sticker as that stuff is usually regulated.

But I agree, It would be nice for someone that actually designs these engines to fill us in, but I suspect that wont happen as their are too many layers in between us and them. And what we also don't know is if there are any changes to the fuel mapping from US to Taiwan versions, I would suspect it would be a little different with different emission law and such.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Just to confirm what you guys saw, my 2011 Blur 220 also said "91" on the sticker. Not sure what the manual specifies, I'll check that if I remember tonight!

What's funny is I just saw that my Blur was actually manufactured in August 2011 in Taiwan. I bought it at the end of August, it must have been fresh off of the line and imported! So I'm surprised you[Ormond] have a 2013 *this early* in 2012. In all honesty, I'm pretty jealous - the resale value difference between ours will probably be a hefty chunk, and they're at most manufactured only about 7 months apart!
Ormond

Deleted

Post by Ormond »

Deleted
Last edited by Ormond on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ormond

Deleted

Post by Ormond »

Deleted
Last edited by Ormond on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

使用燃料 92無鉛汽油以上*

Well ... that's helpful.

Does the engine knock on regular? If not, that's what you should use.

If it does, move up to mid-grade. And so on. Of course make sure your engine is in proper adjustment, etc. blah blah

Higher octane is not a treat to give to your engine, you use it if you have a high compression engine that needs it.

*The use of fuel for more than 92 lead-free petrol
DCUNITED4LIFE

Idle and Octane

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

Hello,

I thought I would just add to the conversation a bit with my admittedly anecdotal evaluation of my Blur 220. When I first purchased it and for the first 5000 miles or so I used only 92 octane gas from the pump. At a recent service where something needed to be replaced under warranty it was discovered my idle sensor was bad and replaced as a result. Since that time I've pretty much used 87 after hearing some information about the different octane ratings used in Asia and such. I haven't been able to tell any difference really. Seems to work pretty well and I am at around 7,500 miles now.
toadold

Gas quality

Post by toadold »

Back when fuel injectors were first starting to be used there was a problem IIRC not with the octane but with contaminates in the fuel clogging the injectors, part of the solution was to crack down on quality control but there were also additives added that were supposed to keep the injectors clean. Also some gas stations are a bit slack about periodically pumping the bottom of their gas storage. Water and bacteria can build up on the bottom and when the storage tank gets refilled that crude can get mixed in with the "good" fuel. Also the mid-range and "premium" fuels are sold as having more additives that help keep the fuel system clean as well as having a higher octane. So how you scooter runs could be dependent on where you buy your gas as well as the brand. I realize that in some locations three different brands of gas station will all get the same gas from a distributor. Also gas varies a lot from state to state, due to emission requirements, Summer blends, winter blends and what have you. Variable out the wazoo. This one reason you'll find people adding after market additives and mouse milks to there gas. Sea Foam is mentioned a lot.
NeoGenesisMax

You're misfiring

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

It's simple you need premium. The shop should have told you that. Everything you described points to preignition. Put premium. The guys at my scooter shop said all scooters require premium. My buddy has a sticker near the gas filler that says to use 91 octane. So use premium end of discussion.