Finding a test drive - in Los Angeles

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Edwub

Finding a test drive - in Los Angeles

Post by Edwub »

Hi all,

I kinda just popped up on these forums, so hello! I'm a scooter loving dude in the west LA area. I've been on a honda metro for nearly two and a half years now, and am DYING to upgrade. My bro-in-law is on a Fly 150 which I've enjoyed a few times.

Been obsessing over the Blur these last few months.

But how the heck do I find one to test drive? I've been to Rt 66 MC in Marina Del Ray several times over the last few years for a lot of random stuff (a week or two ago as well) but they don't have any Blur's in yet. I just called to get put on an info waitlist.

NoHo scooters just sold one last week. I called today to learn more about them, and was told they only order them when you put a deposit down. Will not get one for test drives.

I'm not that tall. Maybe a 30/31" inseam. Moving from a Metro to a Blur seems like a crazy thing. I'm not sure how it'll feel/handle in my normal rush hour commutes. It would be crazy and probably irresponsible to get one without a simple test drive!

So where can I go? What options are there?

(other than going back to oogle the 170's!!)

Cheers!
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Are test-rides an uncommon thing?

I called a couple other places and they said they don't do test rides either (and the dealership in Huntington Beach said the Blur hadn't been California approved yet, but they have an order they're waiting for once it is?)

I know buying a scooter isn't the same thing as a car, but I figured you'd still want to test the fit and handling ...hands on.

Am I wrong? Did you guys in other states buy without a test ride? Is that normal for scooters in general?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well. I don't buy without test rides - though sometimes that is a ride on someone elses bike or whatever. Having said that, it is often not easy to get a test ride on a bike that a dealer does not normally stock or have in quantity.

Now I'm not a California local so I don't know whether the info about the Blur 220 not yet clearing CARB is correct - but if it is, I'd give some consideration to other bikes if I were you. Piaggio/Aprillia, Kymco, and Sym all provide scooters in pretty much the same category as the Blur. Why not try a couple of those. Also check JustGottaScoot for reviews. (And, hey, anything is an upgrade from a Honda Metro :wink: so you have a whole of options to consider)
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

I've found test rides for scooters, BMWs and Triumphs easy to obtain.

Not so for the Japanese brands.

I did get to test-ride my Blur - I bought their demo unit.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

I bought mine without test riding. It's a tall bike but at 30"+ inseam you should be fine. Mine's 28 and I'm fine on it. (One foot up, one foot down at stops. Same when I had my Gts.). There is not a better handling scooter out there. Plenty of power too.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

May test ride one today, pretty excited!!
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Test drove one, really liked it.

Cons:
--Height
A bit tall for me. Can only put one foot down, and noticed at red lights unless I wanted to tilt/lean a lot, I couldn't put much more than my tip-toes or the ball of my foot down. Makes me a bit concerned for my heavy traffic commute. Or if I need to back up a foot or two for some reason, it'd be hard from the sitting position.

--The center thing/foot space
Used to having cleared foot space. I definitely kicked the hump getting on and off. I'll be sad when it's all scratched up. Your foot placement is pretty limited, I wonder how it feels on longer rides when you can't really move them.

--Comparative storage space
Initially a pro, as my full-head helmet fit in the underseat. But probably not as well if there were other things in there (like a cable/lock). No space to hang anything or put stuff between your feet. Not sure how comfortable putting something on top of the hump would be.

--Bugs :P
I test rode without , my normal jacket, was in collared shirt. I had a bug splatter against me and left a bunch of orange goop around my shoulder. Kind of gross.

Pros:
Everything else?
Handled smoothly, acceleration was nice. Road it a bit up a twisty road, felt a nice lean.
I actually liked the extra weight/bulk, felt like I was more visible to other drivers and it made me feel safer. Also felt stable at higher speeds, and due to weight/height I think more than I'd feel on a 170, though to be fair that's pure speculation.

Haven't decided on 170 vs 220. I think the 220 would be more fun, but I think its maybe a bit too big and heavy for my normal everyday commute. I rely kind of heavily right now on splitting lanes especially in the PM. I think it'd be great on the 170, as I can flat foot where needed and it's a bit shorter, maybe easier to maneuver in tight spaces.
But, during non-rush hour traffic, I think the Blur wins, especially for two-up riding it seems. In everything except for cost X.X I think I'd be happier with the "bigger and stronger" for a long time, and it'll quench my thirst for a motorcycle. More so than I think the 170 would, especially now that I test rode the Blur. I mean, I was on a 50cc for two and a half years!! (mostly due to money). Unless I win the lottery and the Ducati sportclassic biposto fell into my lap <.<

The guys quote was $4950ish out the door for the Blur!! I was in shock, so he was nice and he wrote down that I counter-offered "4300" so that we can settle hopefully around $4500 out the door. The counter-offer for a 170 (for comparisons sake) was $3800 out the door.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

I don't think height is that big a deal if you are tall enough to one foot it, don't forget that the Blur really is a scooter - all you need to do to put both feet down is scoot your butt forward off the seat. Sure most of the time one foot while staying in your riding position is enough, but don't be afraid that you can't use both feet when needed.

Foot space is limited. You can change it up by flipping down the passenger pegs and riding crotch rocket style - but not for long, it isn't that comfy. The Blur is begging for elegant add-on highway pegs.

It is hard to beat the storage in the Blur. Don't forget you don't need to store a helmet when riding - it's on your head. When in the pet carrier try fitting your helmet in various positions - like backside down or completely inverted - leaves a lot of room for other stuff - and don't forget you have two helmet pegs to lock helmets outside the seat.

Get the windshield. It is small and looks like it doesn't do much, but it will greatly improve aerodynamics and increase your top speed and mileage, not to mention decreasing your bug consumption.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

BlueMark wrote:and don't forget you have two helmet pegs to lock helmets outside the seat.
Whoa. What pegs? There are helmet locks on the outside? I've never noticed these anyway. Are we talking like motorcycle helmet locks?
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

killbilly wrote:
BlueMark wrote:and don't forget you have two helmet pegs to lock helmets outside the seat.
Whoa. What pegs? There are helmet locks on the outside? I've never noticed these anyway. Are we talking like motorcycle helmet locks?
Those two protrusions from the front lip of the pet carrier. You loop a helmet strap D ring over one and lock the seat down and the helmet cannot be removed. Of course the strap could be cut (even though it is very hard to get to), but that ruins the helmet.

You can also use those pegs to securely hang plastic grocery bags to double your carry-home capacity from the store. Just don't go too fast with them hanging there.
Attachments
seat peg.jpg
seat peg.jpg (93.64 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Last edited by BlueMark on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

BlueMark wrote:
killbilly wrote:
Those two protrusions from the front lip of the pet carrier. You loop a helmet strap D ring over one and lock the seat down and the helmet cannot be removed. Of course the strap could be cut (even though it is very hard to get to), but that ruins the helmet.
Holy crap! I never, ever noticed those before!

I'm going out to the garage here in a minute to verify this...that's neat.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

killbilly wrote:
Holy crap! I never, ever noticed those before!

I'm going out to the garage here in a minute to verify this...that's neat.
That's from the 150, but I can't see any reason they wouldn't be on the 220i.
davelhunter

I will be in Bakersfield 1st week of Sept.

Post by davelhunter »

I will be visiting in Bakersfield, Ca. the first week of Sept. You are welcome to ride mine if you don't mind driving 1.5 hours from Los Angeles. My bike is there. I have not been here on the forum for a while because I have been in the middle of a relocation to Texas, but my bike is still in C.A. and I may have to sell it because I don't have a place to store it indoors here in Texas yet. You can test ride it and if I end up having to sell it then there will be one for sale in California. Mine is highly modded too. You can search the forum for my posts.