on road trip need gearbox leak advice

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tempalte

on road trip need gearbox leak advice

Post by tempalte »

I am 300 miles into an 1800 mile trip from kcmo to south dakota and back.

About 100 miles back I checked my back tire and the cvt side had a thin film of oil. A few drops of oil hung from the drain plug.

I had the dealer change the oil two weeks before I left. after the oil change I only did a few short rides, but there was no oil on the tires before I started my trip this morning.

After I cleaned the tire I road another 100 miles and checked again. More oil had leaked but not has much as before. It is hard to tell how much oil has leaked but a few drops were hanging and there was a thin film on the edge of the tire. Enough to make be sure to wipe it off.

Is this common on a hard ride? Or am I about to have a major malfunction. I am trying to decide if I need to turn back

Thanks
Chad
omniphil

Re: on road trip need gearbox leak advice

Post by omniphil »

Is this the engine oil or maybe the gear oil?

It sounds like the gear oil maybe was overfilled, which is really easy to do.
tempalte wrote:I am 300 miles into an 1800 mile trip from kcmo to south dakota and back.

About 100 miles back I checked my back tire and the cvt side had a thin film of oil. A few drops of oil hung from the drain plug.

I had the dealer change the oil two weeks before I left. after the oil change I only did a few short rides, but there was no oil on the tires before I started my trip this morning.

After I cleaned the tire I road another 100 miles and checked again. More oil had leaked but not has much as before. It is hard to tell how much oil has leaked but a few drops were hanging and there was a thin film on the edge of the tire. Enough to make be sure to wipe it off.

Is this common on a hard ride? Or am I about to have a major malfunction. I am trying to decide if I need to turn back

Thanks
Chad
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

obviously, check you engine oil level on the other side ... just to make sure you are good. like omniphil stated, probably was overfilled, but hand check the plug = this is the one so easily stripped if over-tightened, so it could be leaking because it has been stripped. if the plug is spinning, cut a piece of a plastic bag in a circle about 3" in diameter. unscrew the drain plug and wrap the plastic bit over the threaded area and reinsert ... should keep it from leaking during your trip until you can properly fix it. enjoy the ride!
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

The engine oil is fine. I am guessing it is just overfilled and will eventuallly stop. I wish there was a way to check the gear oil level
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

After about another 300 miles the leaked stopped. I am still going so it must have just been overfilled.