Michelin Pilot Sport report

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rippinyarn

Michelin Pilot Sport report

Post by Rippinyarn »

I bought a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport tires for my Blur 220 and had them mounted two weeks ago. I wanted to wait until I had a couple of hundred miles on them before commenting. Just rolled past 210 on them today on the way in and...

Go get some! Although the stock tires on the Blur 220 aren't bad, these things ride so smooth I would have thought that I changed more than just the tires. My old set were "fine", but at 4k they were slightly feathered and were providing a lot of vibration. They were also getting close to the wear bars and as we all know, it's better to replace them early than late so the decision was easy for me.

My set features the suggested fitment from Scooterworks (size 130/6-x13", fits Blur front and rear) rather than the 120 front that comes as stock fitment. The front is just a bit wider, but there looks like the same clearance with the fender. The bigger front tire may slow down the steering a tiny bit, but I actually appreciate the extra weight and tiny increase in patch size up there. I can actually feel the suspension working now, and these tires without Dyna-beads (and unbalanced) are as good as my Maxxis' were with the Dyna-beads. I'm actually thinking of NOT putting the beads in this time...

I'm running 28 front and 29 rear and that seems to be the best compromise in ride comfort and performance. I was running a similar pressure in the old tires as well, despite the recommended 28 in the manual and 30 on the sticker (both front and rear).

So they are generally better, but one thing really stands out. On the sealant strips on I-75 (where I used to have a minor pucker changing lanes) these tires track straight and true. With the old tires, the front end would wiggle a tiny bit on the melted sealant as I crossed lanes. With the new tires, and especially the bigger front tire, they track just fine over the same strips. A good surprise and a big boost in confidence on the highway for my short jaunts.

I'm very pleased with what a simple tire change did to the ride and handling of the scoot. I took it very easy that first week, but my confidence is growing as the tires shed their manufacturing oils. On city streets and on the highway these tires offer great traction, ride quality and confidence.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
bcgreaf

Post by bcgreaf »

If you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost for the new tires + mounting?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Thanks for the report. I bought the same tires for mine, but have not installed them yet - something to look forward to I guess. :)

Question: with the bigger front tire (130 vs 120), did you notice any difference in your speedodometer reading? I'm guessing you should be seeing slightly lower speed readings due to the bigger tire diameter, i.e., more accurate readings.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

bcgreaf wrote:If you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost for the new tires + mounting?
Scooterworks has them for $69 each and my dealer mounted them for $25 each, so probably under $200 including shipping and with me taking the wheels off and delivering them to the shop.

It really transforms the scooter, but I wouldn't do it until you have a problem or wear out the stockers.
Rovers SC
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

babblefish wrote:Thanks for the report. I bought the same tires for mine, but have not installed them yet - something to look forward to I guess. :)

Question: with the bigger front tire (130 vs 120), did you notice any difference in your speedodometer reading? I'm guessing you should be seeing slightly lower speed readings due to the bigger tire diameter, i.e., more accurate readings.
I think that it's just a bit wider, not taller, so I bet that there would be little difference in speed. I've not noticed any difference, but I was under the assumption that there wouldn't be any anyway. I'll let you know if I break a hunnert :P
Rovers SC
Rush

Post by Rush »

Was eager to get the Michelin Pilot SC but turns out they are discontinued in the 130/60-13 size.

Thus going to get a new rear Michelin Pilot Power Pure SC.

Press release here-
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 0110,d.dmg[/url]
rew750

Post by rew750 »

Rush wrote:Was eager to get the Michelin Pilot SC but turns out they are discontinued in the 130/60-13 size.

Press release here-
You still find the Michelin Pilot SC at this website for $41.75 plus shipping. Free shipping if you buy two.

http://www.motobuys.com/mich-pilot-sport-sc-rear.html
Rush

Post by Rush »

Final got my Blur rear wheel back with the Michelin Pilot Power Pure SC. Just went riding for about an hour on it. Really happy with the performance - harder center compound makes the scooter sit higher - contact patch seems smaller thus better acceleration and plenty sticky. The ride feels less harsh. I had 8.5k miles on my tire before replacing so perhaps any tire would be an improvement but this seems like a great upgrade for the $. Front tire is still the original stock and in good shape. Cost $75 for the tire and $25 for mounting/balancing.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

rew750 wrote:
Rush wrote:Was eager to get the Michelin Pilot SC but turns out they are discontinued in the 130/60-13 size.

Press release here-
You still find the Michelin Pilot SC at this website for $41.75 plus shipping. Free shipping if you buy two.

http://www.motobuys.com/mich-pilot-sport-sc-rear.html
That is an awesome deal for Michelin tires. i think I am going to order two and keep them in storage for future use.

EDIT*** that was a bust. ordered the tires and everything said it went through then received an e-mail saying they were not available. Nice job updating the web site...