Blur Specs?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

Blur Specs?

Post by Southerner »

I've been to the Genuine site, looked at other places and even read through some of the threads here.

Am I blind? It seems like the available specs are pretty skimpy.

What does the thing weigh?

Truth be told, I am more attracted to the Stella with its classic design and relative ease of maintenance but the Blur looks like a well put-together, hot little number, with enough power to carry around a 200 pound man. I just don't understand why the available specs seem so incomplete.
Poots

Post by Poots »

I am new to scooters too and haven't even decided yet what to get, but I have to agree with you, Genuine’s spec’s as listed on their website are pretty poor.

Here is a good place for getting some better details.

http://www.justgottascoot.com/blur2010.htm

Have a look at the Kymco Yager GT 200i too. I think that’s the one I’m going to get. It should haul my 185 pound butt around OK and it’s water cooled. I don’t think it’s ugly either. In fact I kind of like it’s look…

Good luck with whatever you decide. Let us know…

Poots
I'm from Texas. What country are Y'all from?
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Thanks for that. 316 pounds. Not too heavy. Not light enough to get stolen either, I guess.

Probably won't be buying any time soon but it's such a nice little machine, I keep looking at it.

I'm guessing you tipped toward the Yager because of its superior fuel capacity?
Poots

Post by Poots »

Yeah, that big gas tank is nice, but the water cooling is more important to me. It’s also a little over 300 pounds. Like you said, it’s not as likely to get lifted into someone’s pickup truck and stolen as some of the lighter scooters.

At a little over six foot and about 185 pounds I think that something in the 175cc to 225cc range is probably my sweet spot. I’m leaning pretty hard towards a water cooled scoot too. It’s hot here in Houston.

I agree with you about the looks and a whole lot else about the Blur. I like it too. All except for the air cooling that is. In fact it’s forced air plus uses some kind of oil cooling to supplement it. Even with the combination it doesn’t seem to be enough when it’s really hot - like Houston most of the time.

I like the water cooling on the Yager and its high mounted radiator. It’s out of harms way from rocks and road hazards. It has dual rear shocks versus the Blurs single and it looks to have a pet carrier that’s big enough that I wouldn’t need an external one.

It’s also about 500 bucks cheaper! Moola that I could put towards insurance and other gear.

Of all the scooters that I’ve seen so far the big surprise was the Honda PCX. I didn’t think I’d like it, but when I sat on it I seemed to just mold right into it. It’s a little under my target range at 125cc’s and it has a smaller gas tank and a rear drum brake, but it is water cooled and it has the best instruments panel of them all.

If Honda made a water-cooled PCX-190cc with a rear disc and larger gas tank it would probably get the nod.

At any rate, it’s fun going around and examining and comparing them all. I still like the Blur and the Buddy 170i too. Who knows what I’ll end up with?

Decisions-decisions-decisions. Good thing I’m not in a hurry…
I'm from Texas. What country are Y'all from?
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Oil vs. air cooling aside, those two scooters are pretty different in expected uses. The Blur is in a category of one (perhaps two with the Aprilia SR50) as a "sport scooter". The rear suspension is a much more advanced design than any Kymco, and is more of a motorcycle-type suspension than a scooter one. The Yager is a good scooter and a fine commuter, but it's not in the Blur's league. Two rear shocks are pretty common and you'll find a lot of scooters that use them. Single rear shock are more "sporty" and the "central single" is the rarest of all.

All that said, the Yager is a quality scoot and might be the perfect one for you. I'm glad that you are checking out all the possibilities... that's a smart approach and I like that you are remembering to include safety gear with your future purchase :D

I really like the PCX and I dearly want to try one out, but it's sold out nationwide and all but unavailable near me. I like liquid cooling too, but I'd use it differently than you - I'd duct that warm air into my jacket for more comfortable Michigan winter riding!

Good luck with your decision, Poots!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I wouldn't worry too much about air cooling. Until I bought this PC800, I never owned anything but an air cooled bike. Not even an oil-cooled one. I think liquid cooling may be getting a bit closer to necessary since everything runs so lean now but air-cooled machines will be good for a while yet. I live in south Alabama so it gets pretty hot here, too.

I don't know what Honda's scooter problem is. Currently, they have a couple of 50s, a 110, a 125, a 150 and then it jumps up to the Silverwing @600cc. I don't know why they don't just reintroduce the Reflex or import that 300cc bike they sell in Europe. The PCX is really nice but 125 is a tad too small for me. I wouldn't mind a smaller scoot to play with but I live several miles from town and need something with pretty long legs.