Is the Blur a good scoot for a first time rider?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Chessy1

Is the Blur a good scoot for a first time rider?

Post by Chessy1 »

OK, I will say the the Blur is tugging on me a little as I like the look, but I also like the look of the Buddy 170i (as well as the Honda Elite 110). But, at the moments the smaller scoots are maybe in the lead as I'm thinking they will be better intro scoots due to their size (yes, I know this is the obvious answer). So my question to the forum is, do you think the 220i would also be OK as an entry level scoot based on your riding experience?

The reason why it's not an easy answer is that I'm looking into the future as the little scoots would meet my need for around town commuting, but I can also see the 220i expanding my geographic range and be better for riding two up (hence why it's not an easy answer for me).
viney266

Post by viney266 »

One question with the blur...How tall are you?..Its a little taller than the 170.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Chessy1

Post by Chessy1 »

I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and I was still not flat footed on the Blur, just one of the reasons why I had a little concern (I'm thinking for an experienced rider, they would not think twice about this).
chillas61210

Post by chillas61210 »

I am only 5'6" tall and the blur was my first scoot. Took the safety course but then 1st trip out on 2 wheels on the road was on my blur! I love it great for riding 2 up where the 170 would not be very good for that. Only major complaint other than it being a tall scoot is the seat we are looking into getting mine redone this winter.
Lindsay
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I think that the Blur could be an ideal first scooter. It wasn't my first, but it was my first over 200ccs. It can be ridden in a very docile manner and still feel small and maneuverable. It can also be ridden in a fairly aggressive manner (handling-wise, anyway) and provide some pretty satisfying feedback. Two-up is no problem, as I ride very conservatively when someone is on the back, anyway. That's probably the only reason that I'd choose the Blur over the Buddy for a beginning rider. That 170 is a sweet little number.

The only drawback to having a Blur as a first scooter is that a new rider has a greater chance of dumping the scooter, either in a driveway/moving the scooter accident or a newbie mistake on the road (gravel, panic, etc.). The heartbreak of dropping a Blur would be significant. Of course, I've heard of people dropping their (first scooter) new Vespa GTS too, and that would be even worse. I bet that you could catch the Buddy going over in the driveway 8)

I typically recommend that a new rider start out on something cheap and cheerful (like a slightly-higher quality Chinese 50cc) so that when it gets dropped it's like "oh well". I do see your point about buying multiple scooters, though. The Blur is a keeper and is a very flexible scooter for sure. So is the Buddy for that matter.

My advice would be to go with your heart, but be realistic that you could easily drop it, even moving it around the garage. Get some good instruction (MSF basic or advanced rider depending on where you are now) and quality insurance and be sure to invest in multiple security layers (another new scooterist mistake).

Keep stopping in here for new riding tips and be sure to let us know what happens!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Chessy1

Post by Chessy1 »

Rippinyarn wrote:The only drawback to having a Blur as a first scooter is that a new rider has a greater chance of dumping the scooter, either in a driveway/moving the scooter accident or a newbie mistake on the road (gravel, panic, etc.). The heartbreak of dropping a Blur would be significant.
Rippinyarn,

Thanks for mentioning this as the thought of dropping it did have me thinking (your post made me remember what a co-worker told me a while back when I first started thinking about scooters as he said essentially the same thing, "most new riders will drop their bike at some time"). With that in mind, it makes the Buddy seem a lot more attractive as it's SO easy to move around (I'm just amazed at how easy you can get it up on the center stand). I also looked at the little Honda again today, and was amazed when it just swallowed my gym bag under the seat. But, the Blur is still on my mind as the local dealer has one in stock and at a very good price point.
Chessy1

Post by Chessy1 »

OK,

I think I'll get booed out-of-here, but I have decided on something smaller and much more boring for a first scooter. It's the Honda Elite 110 which will be enough for all my original intended scooter needs and if I want something more in a few years, I can always sell it and move up (plus, it does not hurt that the Honda dealer is two miles away vs. 25 for the Genuine).

Do I have buyers regret, maybe a little as the Blur is so cool, but this is the best choice for me at the moment.

Now if anyone lives in the St. Louis area, I will give kudos to the local Genuine dealer in Maplewood, MO as Mike was great to work with, totally no pressure, and that experience made it really hard to go in another direction.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

The Blur and the Buddy have a similar drawback for new riders - they are so easy to ride and responsive that they can engender overconfidence in an inexperienced rider. Probably a good idea for a newby to ride something wobbly and dangerous in order to encourage a proper level of caution and terror.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

BlueMark wrote:Probably a good idea for a newby to ride something wobbly and dangerous in order to encourage a proper level of caution and terror.
I don' t know that the Elite is any more wobbly and dangerous than any other scoot, but I agree with Chessy1 in starting out on a smaller used scoot. Those Hondas have proved very popular (and durable) since the 1980's, and although they don't approach the brilliant usability of the Buddy and the Blur, they will be perfectly adequate to learn on and to determine if scooting is for him. It's a good choice (I think that I just bought an '84 Aero 125 yesterday), and the Blur will be there for you when you are ready. It really is a super machine.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I bought a used Honda Metro for $1175.

I added 5.5 thousand miles to it, and after 31 months (just over 2.5 years) I sold it for $775.

I never dropped it, but I'm on a Blur now and am thankful for the experience. The Honda made me start slow, and it really really really taught me patience. I'm a bit of a speed-demon in a car, so I'm actually really glad I'm *not* used to being one on a scooter. I also was less worried about scratching it up, and I learned the rules of the road pretty great.

Thankfully, nothing ever happened, but patience and diligence were lessons I learned. If I had started with a Blur, I think I'd be a lot worse off. And maybe too cocky. In all honesty, I think it probably is more dangerous, as people above this post have stated.

Part of the point of this post was that the Honda Metro odometer only goes to 9999 miles, so the resale value was pretty good! I didn't "lose" much money during that process, though a few times I felt like I was going to lose my mind! 2.5 years is a bit much, but half a year to a year and you can buy it, learn it, and resell it without much of a cost to you.
BlueMark

About getting a wobbly and dangerous scoot to learn on ...

Post by BlueMark »

I hope you all understand that I was joking about the Buddy and Blur being too high quality for newbies.

Might as well start on a proper, and safe, scooter. The overconfidence factor is, in my opinion, real - I think it is possible to get in over your head (or ahead of your competence) more easily on such good bikes - same is true for other high quality scooters. That means there is even more of a premium to learn and build skill. And the fact that your aren't riding a cheap piece of junk may also add incentive.

Read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough
Take the MSF safety course
Buy the best scooter you can justify paying for.

Yes, the Buddy and especially the Blur are not cheap "disposables" to learn on. They are quality scooters that perform well. Yes, you might drop them, the good news is that they are (quality) plastic skinned - the plastic panels are replaceable and not overly expensive.
Chessy1

Post by Chessy1 »

I want to thank everyone for their replies!

Also, I will say my decision had very little to do with the performance/handling of the Blur (if that was the top priority, I would have purchased it). In my case the scooter I purchased is my first experience with motorized two wheeled transport since I rode a mini-bike some 34 years ago. So smaller is better, even if it's a lot more boring, as it'll not only be myself, but the scooter my Fiancee will be learning on.

As Rippinyarn mentioned, if we both really take to the scootering the Blur will be there in the future with maybe a few improvements and teething problems worked out based on all the good suggestions everyone on this forum has.
Rush

Post by Rush »

Perhaps I'm a bit late to the discussion but my Blur is my first scooter. Got it April fools day 2011.

I'm only 5'6.5" and I just lean a little on my left to get a flat booted foot down - right foot stays on the floorboard. I can comfortably tipee toe both feet if needed.

I'd say its a great bike to learn on... although wife wanted to learn too so we got a rebel (she is only 4'10" and wanted to flat foot it). Now the Rebel is my first shifting experience.

I got my full cycle endorsement exactly three weeks after getting the Blur - and passed the test perfectly without much struggle. Partly because I could put my feet out to stabilize and NOT touch the ground (touch the ground twice and you're disqualified).

CVT scooters are a great introduction to cycling IMO because they allow you to focus on maneuvering, braking, accelerating, traffic and road signals...

When I ride the rebel now I find myself way more concerned about finding neutral and balancing out the foot brake with the hand brake and turning off that hard to reach turn signal, and which gear I'm in - than with traffic, road conditions and threat awareness... which can be dangerous. I don't find motorcycles much fun in heavy stop and go traffic but its not so bad on the scooter.

I could go on and on but hope that helps. Lastly - I told my wife this and she laughed... she then promptly did it within her first two riding lessons - "You will drop the bike... and you will probably do it going between zero and three miles per hour."