I SPLIT THE CLUTCH ON THE 220I

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SevenhertZ

I SPLIT THE CLUTCH ON THE 220I

Post by SevenhertZ »

Well well well. I guess I have done it this time. I have OFFICIALLY split the clutch in half inside the 220i. I also in turn burned up the belt inside. Very glad that they will be replacing it at no charge to me, but CMON REALLY? i thought this bike was a TANK MACHINE. I guess not. Now I'm out 2 weeks with no scooter. I'm pretty sad/upset that this has happened. The tech down at my local scooter shop told me he has never seen this before. Sooooo. Maybe a buyer beware should go out for this. THIS SCOOTER IS NOT 100% PROBLEM FREE. I hope yall the communtiy have good words for me cause I'm pretty upset.
ScooterLou

Post by ScooterLou »

There is no maker of any type of motorized transport that will have any parts that never fail. A bad clutch slipped through quality control(does PGO even make the clutch?). That's what you have a warranty for. Be thankful it is covered.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I'm sorry that this happened to you and I can understand your frustration. Can you tell us what happened (symptoms) and how it happened? I'm not familiar with the term "split the clutch". Did it physically break in two? Did that lock up the rear wheel/clutch, causing the belt to seize, thus burning it out? This sure sounds like a rare occurrence, but I'm glad that you are at least OK - I imagine that it could be much worse!

This is a great example of how a dealer could rescue a service situation with a loaner/demo scoot. Maybe someday all dealers will be prepared for something like this.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Just because yours was faulty, doesn't mean they all are.

I do sympathize though. I have a new Stella with an oil leak that has been off the road for two weeks now, at the dealership waiting repairs. But of course no other Stellas that I know of have this issue. It happens.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I"m curious how many miles you have on it?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
SevenhertZ

EL DESTRUCTO DE CLUTCHO

Post by SevenhertZ »

Hey guys thanks for the kind words. Trust me I'm very happy that this is covered under the warranty. It also sucks I'm out my main ride. Word on the street is my local scooter shop did have a loaner and someone crashed it. LAME. Anyway on to the conditions of how it happened. I use my scooter as a daily rider. There were no real signs that I could tell you. I did notice that when I would slowly open the throttle the bike would shake. Other than that never had any problems. I rode it to lunch that day, parked it and worked for another 4 hours. After work I jumped on fired it up and right away I knew something was wrong. It basically sounds just like you would imagine a huge piece of metal would sound rattling around inside the casing. I also could start to smell rubber burning. I turned it off and let it sit for a minute. I then turned it on one more time and the bike shook and smelled like rubber. Turned it off and then got my free tow to the shop. I would love to trade in my shirt and pen they sent me, for a new clutch no questions asked.
SevenhertZ

Post by SevenhertZ »

viney266 wrote:I"m curious how many miles you have on it?
i have about 1100 miles on it
SevenhertZ

Post by SevenhertZ »

Rippinyarn wrote:I'm sorry that this happened to you and I can understand your frustration. Can you tell us what happened (symptoms) and how it happened? I'm not familiar with the term "split the clutch". Did it physically break in two? Did that lock up the rear wheel/clutch, causing the belt to seize, thus burning it out? This sure sounds like a rare occurrence, but I'm glad that you are at least OK - I imagine that it could be much worse!

This is a great example of how a dealer could rescue a service situation with a loaner/demo scoot. Maybe someday all dealers will be prepared for something like this.
Sorry I would imagine that the clutch is two pieces maybe. Maybe welded together and the weld was faulty. It didn't seize up anything but def. burned up the belt due to me rev'n the engine.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

SevenhertZ wrote:
viney266 wrote:I"m curious how many miles you have on it?
i have about 1100 miles on it
^^^Oh wow. Yeah that's still a NEW scoot...Glad to hear your shop is getting it taken care of :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?