Didn't buy a Blur!

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Swordsman

Didn't buy a Blur!

Post by Swordsman »

Oh well. Went so far as to get a quote and talk about delivery, but at the very last minute I decided I just couldn't plunk down $4k on something I couldn't test ride. I'd still like to have one in the future, but only time will tell.

However, I DID get a new bike. Can you tell I have bizarre tastes? :lol:

Lemme tell ya, MPG sucks with a dual carbed sidecar rig. I went from getting about 52 with my Buell to about 30. And that's doing 55 mph the whole way! However, I am never, ever lacking storage space.

~SM
Attachments
IMG_4694.jpg
IMG_4694.jpg (140.06 KiB) Viewed 607 times
IMG_4692.jpg
IMG_4692.jpg (133.89 KiB) Viewed 607 times
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

That a Rad setup. How hard is it to lose the side car. I think side cars are awesome but probably wouldn't want it 24/7. That's just me though.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Very cool rig...I have a friend with one!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

So you could test drive that one? :shock:
Is there a different endorsement for a sidecar-equipped motorcycle in Georgia? There is in Florida... I don't know about Michigan.

Very cool - is the sidecar wheel driven like in some other Urals? There's your mileage loss right there!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Rippin, I don't think dealers allow test rides, but I bought this one very lightly used (~3k miles) from an individual that was daring enough to let me run around his property. I'm unaware of any special 3 wheel license in GA.

Bigbro, theoretically the sidecar can be removed in about 30 minutes or so, but it's generally not recommended for Urals with the leading link front forks like mine. Leading links are extra sturdy and are ideal for sidecar applications, but without the sidecar they make the bike very squirrely and difficult to handle. BMW used to have adjustable ones that had a solo setting, but these on the Ural are not.

Not to mention, you might have to go through the whole process of aligning the sidecar once you put it back on. The bike and hack have to be aligned just like the front wheels of a car... there are camber and toe-in angles to be dealt with to make it track properly. I dunno if removing the car buggers the adjustment up or not.

The rig is a lot of fun. It draws a lot of attention. I can't wait to take it camping this fall!

~SM