Blur vs Blur

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

blurblaine

Blur vs Blur

Post by blurblaine »

17 OCT 2011

Had a great ride this evening through Cincinnati's rolling big money suburb of Indian Hill with 'Rush'.

The scooters were the pumpkin orange Blur 150 (2006) and the ice white Blur 220 (2010). A lot has changed in the past 5 Blur years... but that isn't easy to see when looking at these scooters side-by-side. The proportions at just about every angle look the same ... yet they feel different, while both feeling very 'right'.

The 220s seat looks identical, but it just feels better. Why is that? The suspension on the 220 is also firmer, but that may just be because the 150's has so many more miles on it. The motors and the revs sound and feel different too. The 150 begs to have the extra power available on the 220, and I couldn't even dream of keeping up if the 220 throttle is cracked open. And this 150 just got new rollers and a new CVT belt, so this is as good as it is going to get without serious mods.

But the 150 is so smooth and easy to ride. You feel so confident and the bike goes and stops with such great precision. It feels more toss-able, by just a tad. We agreed that sensation might be because the 150 is stock naked while this 220 has a windshield, so the wind and vision from the rider on this 150 feels more direct.

Really appreciated Rush allowing a 'switch', as his 220 is a dream ride to me. Nothing like being on the scooter you already love, but then realize it has 70 more cubic inches and so much more noticeable power than what you are use to.

Do I want a 220? Yes. Do I want to keep my 150? Yes again. And that is my dilemma ... they are both desirable, but I'm not going to own both a 150 and 220. I'm already looking forward to Rush allowing another 'scooter switch' in the future!
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Great report - thanks. I'd love to ride a 150 to experience what you are talking about.

I removed my windshield the summer when they were dinking around with my tach, and I can confirm your observation that the windscreen makes a big difference in riding "feel".
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Rush

Post by Rush »

Yeah it was alota fun BlurBlaine!

I'm amazed at how much I enjoy riding different bikes. All seem to have their own character just like people.

Just for the record.... I'm pretty sure our bikes have about the same BDUs.

Oh I forgot to turn on my underbody LEDs for ya... have to do that on the forthcoming Pumpkin run... lets get planning! Need to take some pictures next time... funny that we both have gear to match our respective Blur colors.