Sputtering when turn signals or headlight is turned on?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

davelhunter

Sputtering when turn signals or headlight is turned on?

Post by davelhunter »

Just yesterday I had a strange thing happen on my 220i. I noticed that while riding, whenever I used my turn signals, the red kill switch light on the right handlebar would begin to flash and my engine would sputter. As soon as I turned off my turn signal the sputtering and the kill switch light would go away. The same thing would also happen when I turned on my headlight. When I turned my headlight on the motor would sputter and the kill switch light would flash. As soon as I would turn off the headlight everything would go back to normal. Seems like something electrical? Anyone have any ideas? I am going to ride the bike again tonight and see of this happens again. My Blur has been pretty much problem free. Hopefully this can be straightened out.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Check the battery first. It may be bad and while at it, make sure the charging system is okay! If you bought it local your shop might do the check for free if you ask nice ;)

^^^ But those 2 things are where to start.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
davelhunter

Post by davelhunter »

I keep the battery connected to a maintainer 24/7 when I am not riding and I have a battery LED level indicator under the seat. The battery shows perfect. I guess I will have to take it to the shop so they can inspect the charging system.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Your kill switch lights up? I've never seen that before. AFAIK, the kill switch on the Blur doesn't light up. You may have a short in the switch if there is flashing going on in there.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
davelhunter

Post by davelhunter »

Rippinyarn,
Maybe I am not using the correct description. It is not the actual switch that is lighting up. On the dash, on the right side there is a small cutout that is the same size as the turn signal indicator. When you have the kill switch in the off position it turns red. When the kill switch is in the run position it is not lit up. This is what keeps flashing when I have the high beam or turn signals turned on.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

OK, now I get it. Let me take a look at my Blur and try to think what could be going on. The blinking lamp in the instrument panel has me stumped. Hmmm.
Rovers SC
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

This sounds like some of the wires have gotten frayed and signals are getting crossed.
davelhunter

Taking it to the shop

Post by davelhunter »

I checked the battery connections, ground, etc. All wires are tight. I also put the battery on the tender overnight. Still the same problem. The strange thing was that while riding yesterday for a couple hours, it went away, then it came back again. I am going to drop the bike off at the dealer at the end of the week to have it checked out. Might as well since I am under warranty. I will let you guys know what it was when I hear back from the dealer. While it is there I am going to also have them address the surging issue at idle. It only happens occasionally, but when it does it is annoying.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I bet that it's one of the following:
- A plug not seated and presenting an intermittent connection
- Wire damage/wear in the loom
- Start interlock wiring or switch wear

In either case, it's a relatively easy fix, once you have found where the damage is. For sure let the dealership deal with this one, and let them know that the diagnosis is on them (i.e. you want the scooter fixed back to an "as purchased" condition with no money leaving your pocket). They love that 8)
Rovers SC
davelhunter

At dealer

Post by davelhunter »

Well, I dropped it off at the dealer tonight. They had 8 bikes ahead of mine, so they said I will probably not know until middle of next week. I dropped it off for the reason stated above and also the surging issue when at idle. I've had the surging issue since the first month that I had the bike, but it never bothered me, however I figures I might as well have it fixed while the bike is still under warranty. I will let you guys know what the dealer says as soon as I find out.