Belt life?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

omniphil

Belt life?

Post by omniphil »

Anyone have any idea what a normal time frame for belt life is? Mine's dead at 3500 miles, snapped on the highway coming home last night...

These belts are steel belts? I'm hoping the steel belt didn't damage any of the pullies went it snapped.

Is this something that should be covered under warranty?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The belt is probably wear and tear item, just like tires and brake pads. I would imagine.

The belt is probably kevlar/rubber just like all the others

Check with scooterworks to see if there is a "tougher" upgrade belt for it. Pullies are probably fine. Though I would pull off the cover and check them just to be sure. Check the rollers while you are in there ,too.

Hope you are back up and riding soon.

I just saw your other thread where you did rollers, let us know how they are wearing.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
waspmike

Post by waspmike »

The smaller the displacement of the scooter the less the belt life is. Don't ask me why but that is apparently the case. Lets assume that the 220i falls into the small maxi scooter range ( as opposed to medium or large) you should get 6000 - 10,000kms. But the 220 is an evolution of the 150 so the same drivetrain has to cope with the increased power. This is the same for 200/250/300 Vespas. I.e. the crankcase is the same as 150.

The 150 G-Max manual states check at 5000 kms replace at 8000 kms.

I was going to give you the gates part# but they don't list for PGO
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Ok so I need to look at replacing the belt every year (I ride about 5000 miles a year)

Seems like a short life, but Its not a hard job and I assume the belt isn't too expensive...
waspmike wrote:The smaller the displacement of the scooter the less the belt life is. Don't ask me why but that is apparently the case. Lets assume that the 220i falls into the small maxi scooter range ( as opposed to medium or large) you should get 6000 - 10,000kms. But the 220 is an evolution of the 150 so the same drivetrain has to cope with the increased power. This is the same for 200/250/300 Vespas. I.e. the crankcase is the same as 150.

The 150 G-Max manual states check at 5000 kms replace at 8000 kms.

I was going to give you the gates part# but they don't list for PGO
waspmike

Post by waspmike »

I have updated my information while searching for info on 220, it uses a larger pulley than the 150 so you will get a bit more belt life. I don't have a 220i manual. But its CVT is about the same size as the PCX. I don't know what quality the OEM belts are for G-Max but you will not get two years out of a belt, at 5000 miles a year, so better to change every winter. Better safe than sorry.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

waspmike wrote:I have updated my information while searching for info on 220, it uses a larger pulley than the 150 so you will get a bit more belt life. I don't have a 220i manual. But its CVT is about the same size as the PCX. I don't know what quality the OEM belts are for G-Max but you will not get two years out of a belt, at 5000 miles a year, so better to change every winter. Better safe than sorry.
Every winter is certainly fine with me, gives me something to do on it over the winter, I don't like the belt snapping at 3500 miles tho, that cuts my season short...

I'll assume that highway riding will degrade the life of the belt even faster than normal...
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I think that the Blur 220 PGO belt is $85 or $90 from Genuine. I had the dealer order me one early just so I'd be ready. I wonder where I put it?
I'm almost to 5000 and the belt is looking good and measuring more than 20mm still. 19mm is the replacement thickness.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Rippinyarn wrote:I think that the Blur 220 PGO belt is $85 or $90 from Genuine. I had the dealer order me one early just so I'd be ready. I wonder where I put it?
I'm almost to 5000 and the belt is looking good and measuring more than 20mm still. 19mm is the replacement thickness.
The local dealer that is doing the work is saying the belt is $130, sounds like next time i'll just do it myself.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ Just the belt? Sounds like everything else was okay?
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

viney266 wrote:^^^ Just the belt? Sounds like everything else was okay?
That's what they seemed to indicate. Should be good to go once they throw a new belt in there. New belt should be in Mon or Tues.
turboscott

Post by turboscott »

omniphil wrote:
viney266 wrote:^^^ Just the belt? Sounds like everything else was okay?
That's what they seemed to indicate. Should be good to go once they throw a new belt in there. New belt should be in Mon or Tues.
Omni, can you post the belt size by chance?
Voodoo "BOB" lights, Blur Rear Rack, SHAD SH40 Top Case, Brunton Fuel Cells, Garmin Nuvi with Ram Mount, Go Pro Hero 2 with Mount
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Apparently there's belts and then there's belts.
I read this thread and then bethought myself that Harleys have been using final drive belts for years. I did some quick Googling and apparently the expected life for the belt on the V-Rod for example (which has 125 hp) is a little over 43 thousand miles.

The serpentine belt on my car still looks OK and it has over 100 thousand miles.

Go figure.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

But those belts don't slide back and forth...
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Ah! :idea: Good point.
minuteman

15,000 miles on 1st belt!

Post by minuteman »

i replaced my 06 blur 150's 1st belt around 15k cuz it snapped. the shop dude at scooterworks said over the phone, "you must mean 1,500" and i replied "no, i have 15 THOUSAND on it". he said "holy crap that should have snapped around 8k".
Bergerbot

No belt issues here!

Post by Bergerbot »

My 220 has 5100 miles on it and the belt still looks new with absolute no wear. I ride my scooter pretty hard, with a lot of highway riding and or riding at 60mph(plus).
@Bergerbot
blurblaine

Re: 15,000 miles on 1st belt!

Post by blurblaine »

minuteman wrote:i replaced my 06 blur 150's 1st belt around 15k cuz it snapped. the shop dude at scooterworks said over the phone, "you must mean 1,500" and i replied "no, i have 15 THOUSAND on it". he said "holy crap that should have snapped around 8k".
I had my 150's belt replaced last summer with well over 12K on it ... it had not snapped ... just had a new rear tire put on and asked them to do a few other maintenance items while it was 'in the shop' at Metro Scooter in Cincinnati.
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!