Would you (did you?) buy without a test ride?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SoCalScooter

Would you (did you?) buy without a test ride?

Post by SoCalScooter »

So I've been scooter shopping for the past two weeks and I have been seriously considering a Blur 220 (also the Sym HD200 or People 250S, but that's not the main point!). Mainly the scoot would be a suburban/urban commuter - no freeway riding - top speeds of 65mph but not for longer than 2-3 minutes at a time.

I did manage to find a Blur locally (Yay!)... The problem is that the only dealer that has a Blur does not allow for test rides (insurance won't cover them since they are in a busy strip mall area). My question is would you/did you feel comfortable spending close to $4800 (estimated total with tax, title, shipping & set up) on a brand new 0 mile Blur without riding on one? Note - I sat on the bike for a while, and it seemed to be a nice fit, could flat foot with no problem, and could mount/dismount easily.

Second, minor question for bonus points: would you still recommend the blur despite the quirks the 2011 models seem to exhibit? (I know they are rare, but the thought gives me cold feet when I think about the purchase)
davelhunter

Yes

Post by davelhunter »

After owning 2 Blur 150's, I purchased my Blur 220 over the phone from a dealer 3 states away without even seeing a 220i in person. I then had a shipping company delIver it to my home:) I would do it all over again. I love the bike and to me no other scooter compares.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

For me personally, I couldn't buy without test riding. I've ridden my friends Buddy 125 and my bro-in-laws Fly 150, but put over 7k miles on a 50cc Honda Metro. Seems like you're more used to scooters so it may not be an issue for you.

I had it delivered and all the paperwork handled from TO Powersports for $4300 cash even. Got it at the end of August, and I'm only approaching 900 miles on it so far.

It's a little tall for me (30" inseam). I don't mind the seat, but some people have commented they find it uncomfortable or that they 'want to' sit closer to the hump. I can't flatfoot it. I can put one foot flat, if I tilt a little and stretch my leg out, or if the street is angled. (I can put just under half my foot flat usually). I think one of the complaints I've read about the seat is that it's a little painful after an hour of riding. I haven't noticed it (perhaps because I'm shorter, I sit in a different position).

The sideview mirrors don't bend back as far as I want. I can't seem to angle it without me getting my arms/shoulders/side in view. I'm not sure if that's common to scooters or not, but I like being barely able to see myself to maximize my views.

I had some issue with my seat latch: I think the mechanism needed to wear in, but it was difficult to force the seat to latch for the first month. I'm sure this kind of thing varies in every scooter.

I got the tachometer weirdness for less than .2 miles at my first fill up (with 18 miles on the odo), but other than that, absolutely no engine issues or anything funky at all. It hasn't come back. Most of my daily commute is under 50mph, but I topped at 72mph (indicated) on a test speed run recently.

My only big complaint is my MPG. Workday commuting where I am destroys me - check my fuelly link below. I did get better the week I went with the LA Scooter Group (70ish). My current MPG means I need to fill up about every 70 miles or so. My minor complaint would be I don't like gassing this scooter up. The gas cover is awkwardly placed for me, I can't tell when I fill it fully or not. And if you get any splash or gasoline dribble, it'll either look ugly or risk messing up your pants! That's actually something I dislike more than I originally thought I would.

I had commented before in this forum about my MPG being a little low; Rippinyarn had said when his scooter was new he was getting 55mpg before it started bumping up. I'm pretty sure that my location (West LA) is what causes it. My traffic is worse, my red lights are greater, my stop signs are more frequent, and my traffic is ahsadajsgdasjd. That's really the only major complaint I've had.

And I'm not blaming the scooter for it, it is what it is, but I would keep it in mind if a lot of your riding is workplace commuting in traffic or stop-n-go streets. The other two scooters I mentioned above also get less than average MPG for their models, which is why I'm convinced it's our location/traffic conditions. (Though both their MPGs beat mine)

edited for another potential complaint: the lights at night. The default front lights look a bit odd. It's not an even illumination, it kinda bends and creases at angles. In fact, when there's no streetlight, I can literally read the imprint on the light casing, because it's left as a shadow that doesn't get illuminated. Kind of funny.

You might want to ask your dealer if you can try to see the lights somehow. That's something that usually doesn't get noted during a test ride (daytime settings).

another edit:
Pet carrier spacing can be tricky. I was originally more concerned about fit because my seat wouldn't latch perfectly.

My full face medium sized GMAX GM48 helmet fits in there, but not much else on top of or on the sides of it. (Stuff things into the helmet?)
I tested a medium sized modular helmet (bell revolver rally) and it kind of fit in there, but it needed to be squeezed in and it would push up against the seat, so I didn't think it was trustworthy.
My modular is a large (had to return the medium) but I wouldn't even try to put it in the pet carrier.

I specifically am trying to find ALL the potential negatives to 'warn you' about in this post :) As you can tell from the length of the post, I'm really nitpicking, but it's an expensive thing so I figure I'll throw every scrap I have, just in case any of it is helpful in your considerations.

Overall, I'm happy a few months in on mine and approaching 900 miles. I loooove it when I'm riding for fun, or on wide open roads, or especially Highway 1 from Santa Monica to Malibu :lol: 8)
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Your mileage does seem odd. It's about on par with my 800cc V-twin.
turboscott

Post by turboscott »

Edwub wrote:For me personally, I couldn't buy without test riding. I've ridden my friends Buddy 125 and my bro-in-laws Fly 150, but put over 7k miles on a 50cc Honda Metro. Seems like you're more used to scooters so it may not be an issue for you.

I had it delivered and all the paperwork handled from TO Powersports for $4300 cash even. Got it at the end of August, and I'm only approaching 900 miles on it so far.

It's a little tall for me (30" inseam). I don't mind the seat, but some people have commented they find it uncomfortable or that they 'want to' sit closer to the hump. I can't flatfoot it. I can put one foot flat, if I tilt a little and stretch my leg out, or if the street is angled. (I can put just under half my foot flat usually). I think one of the complaints I've read about the seat is that it's a little painful after an hour of riding. I haven't noticed it (perhaps because I'm shorter, I sit in a different position).

The sideview mirrors don't bend back as far as I want. I can't seem to angle it without me getting my arms/shoulders/side in view. I'm not sure if that's common to scooters or not, but I like being barely able to see myself to maximize my views.

I had some issue with my seat latch: I think the mechanism needed to wear in, but it was difficult to force the seat to latch for the first month. I'm sure this kind of thing varies in every scooter.

I got the tachometer weirdness for less than .2 miles at my first fill up (with 18 miles on the odo), but other than that, absolutely no engine issues or anything funky at all. It hasn't come back. Most of my daily commute is under 50mph, but I topped at 72mph (indicated) on a test speed run recently.

My only big complaint is my MPG. Workday commuting where I am destroys me - check my fuelly link below. I did get better the week I went with the LA Scooter Group (70ish). My current MPG means I need to fill up about every 70 miles or so. My minor complaint would be I don't like gassing this scooter up. The gas cover is awkwardly placed for me, I can't tell when I fill it fully or not. And if you get any splash or gasoline dribble, it'll either look ugly or risk messing up your pants! That's actually something I dislike more than I originally thought I would.

I had commented before in this forum about my MPG being a little low; Rippinyarn had said when his scooter was new he was getting 55mpg before it started bumping up. I'm pretty sure that my location (West LA) is what causes it. My traffic is worse, my red lights are greater, my stop signs are more frequent, and my traffic is ahsadajsgdasjd. That's really the only major complaint I've had.

And I'm not blaming the scooter for it, it is what it is, but I would keep it in mind if a lot of your riding is workplace commuting in traffic or stop-n-go streets. The other two scooters I mentioned above also get less than average MPG for their models, which is why I'm convinced it's our location/traffic conditions. (Though both their MPGs beat mine)

edited for another potential complaint: the lights at night. The default front lights look a bit odd. It's not an even illumination, it kinda bends and creases at angles. In fact, when there's no streetlight, I can literally read the imprint on the light casing, because it's left as a shadow that doesn't get illuminated. Kind of funny.

You might want to ask your dealer if you can try to see the lights somehow. That's something that usually doesn't get noted during a test ride (daytime settings).

another edit:
Pet carrier spacing can be tricky. I was originally more concerned about fit because my seat wouldn't latch perfectly.

My full face medium sized GMAX GM48 helmet fits in there, but not much else on top of or on the sides of it. (Stuff things into the helmet?)
I tested a medium sized modular helmet (bell revolver rally) and it kind of fit in there, but it needed to be squeezed in and it would push up against the seat, so I didn't think it was trustworthy.
My modular is a large (had to return the medium) but I wouldn't even try to put it in the pet carrier.

I specifically am trying to find ALL the potential negatives to 'warn you' about in this post :) As you can tell from the length of the post, I'm really nitpicking, but it's an expensive thing so I figure I'll throw every scrap I have, just in case any of it is helpful in your considerations.

Overall, I'm happy a few months in on mine and approaching 900 miles. I loooove it when I'm riding for fun, or on wide open roads, or especially Highway 1 from Santa Monica to Malibu :lol: 8)
I have to say Ditto to most of this LONGGGG post.....LOL but excellent information provided. I also got mine from TO Motorsports but in October...I have had zero issues and did not need to test ride it...I wanted it. I have 1200 miles on it...and have loved nearly every minute of it. My gas mileage is about what yours it..but then again I ride 55mph+ commutes from 17-26 miles depending on location and I am 240lbs. (Yes...nearly wide open for long stretches and the scoot loves it!!!) The scoot handles very well for me. I have a SHAD 40 top case mounted for extra storage. My top speed has only been 67 or 68 indicated...again at 240 lbs...full gear and loaded storage with extra fuel on board thats still really good for me. (285 lbs load??) I am running synthetic oil and royal purple gear oil...changed only once but will be due again soon. Ordered a windshiled when I bought it but it is still on back order...(great job scooterworks... :oP) Would love to ride down PCH....but been all over ventura county with it up hills, against wind, in the cold, in the rain....alll of it! I have learned to gas up properly...and I actually have a 5 gallon gas can in my garage that i use to fill-up. Its easier that way for me and can control the level better. TIP: Fuel up until the fuel barely starts to come up the fuel tank neck...you will get another 10 miles over "Full" at the pump!!!!

That is all.......
Voodoo "BOB" lights, Blur Rear Rack, SHAD SH40 Top Case, Brunton Fuel Cells, Garmin Nuvi with Ram Mount, Go Pro Hero 2 with Mount
SoCalScooter

Post by SoCalScooter »

Thanks for the observations! I might have another one locally to test this weekend... Otherwise I might head up to LA on Monday :)

It really seems like a great scoot, and I am eager to take one around the block once or twice.

I certainly understand LA rush hour having a negative impact. I was averaging about 60 to 65mpg on the blackjack in rush hour here (vs 70 or so on a weekend around town) I would have to imagine that is the primary reason your numbers are a bit low. Geography plays its part too. My vw's average mileage has dropped 5 or 6 mpgs since moving west - no hills to speak of in Chicago!
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

I would definitely buy a new Blur without a test drive - but I've ridden Blurs (150s) and many many other scooters and know what to expect with the Blur.

I really can't imagine making a good decision on a new scooter model that I haven't ridden - how the scooter feels during the ride is a major major factor for me.

In fact, it was the Blur's ride that sold me - at the time I wasn't too enamored of its styling or the grey pumpkin color scheme, but the ride and handling just blew me away.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I heard a lot about the Blur 150 and had some long conversations with my dealer and with the people from Genuine, so I knew what the deal was with the scoot. I ordered it without riding it, but was overjoyed on my ride home and am still very happy with it. It really is a scooter with ZERO competition (except for the Aprilia SR50, two "classes" lower).

Now that I have the Reflex, I really am enjoying the Blur even more. It's amazing that they are both even called scooters, because the are as different as chalk and cheese. Both still wonderful, but getting off one and onto the other is a really neat experience. The Blur sounds like the perfect scoot for your use, especially if you like to ride a bit aggressively from time to time. With my windscreen, heated grips and Alaska Leather Butt Pad, it's damn near a perfect sport scooter.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
SevenhertZ

I had a test ride.

Post by SevenhertZ »

I fell instantly in love and bought it within the week. Doesn't matter though. All the great rides and comments I have got from owning one would make me by one sight unseen.
Rush

Post by Rush »

I bought the Blur last April fools day without even knowing how to ride a scooter/motorcycle. Now I got a Rebel (more relaxed) and a SV650 (more powerful) - but the Blur is hands down the most fun of the three - more mobility, no shifting, more awareness of what is around me, higher sitting position, less wind with a windshield, better breaks, more storage space and less weight. I still get more looks on the Blur than either of the cycles. Ideal for urban areas where you are staying under 65mph.

Good luck!
Ormond

Deleted

Post by Ormond »

Deleted
Last edited by Ormond on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:30 am, edited 7 times in total.
chillas61210

Post by chillas61210 »

Most dealers don't allow test rides in this area. I have bought all my scooters without test riding them.
Lindsay
Ormond

My all new 2013 Geniune Blur SS 220i

Post by Ormond »

Hello y'all. I took delivery today, as promised. Jennie was as surprised as I was that it was actually a 2013 model. I drove it home on the hill country back roads in break-in mode, keeping the engine moving at various speeds, and loads. I only took it over 35 mph a few times. During those few times, I was riding past one of those "Your Speed Is" radar displays. I went through three times at 40mph and the speedometer was dead on. That seems like a good sign to me.

Today, I became a Scooterist. I'm glad to meet y'all.
----------------------------------------
My Authorized GENUINE Dealer is:
Jennie Burdett - MotoTexas Powersports & Scootique - Fredericksburg, Texas, USA - (830) 997-1116 - www.scoottexas.com - Scootique@scoottexas.com
Last edited by Ormond on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
hg3

Post by hg3 »

That is GREAT! :helmet:

Harry
blurblaine

Re: My all new 2013 Geniune Blur SS 220i

Post by blurblaine »

Ormond wrote:Hello y'all. I took delivery today, as promised. Jennie was as surprised as I was that it was actually a 2013 model. I drove it home on the hill country back roads in break-in mode, keeping the engine moving at various speeds, and loads. I only took it over 35 mph a few times. During those few times, I was riding past one of those "Your Speed Is" radar displays. I went through three times at 40mph and the speedometer was dead on. That seems like a good sign to me.

Today, I became a Scooterist. I'm glad to meet y'all.
Jennie Burdett - MotoTexas Powersports & Scootique - Fredericksburg, Texas, USA - (830) 997-1116 - www.scoottexas.com - Scootique@scoottexas.com
WOW ... the speedo was dead on ... you have the only one!

All kidding aside: enjoy, enjoy, and enjoy!!!!! Very excited for you.
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
Ormond

My new 2013 Genuine Blur SS 220i

Post by Ormond »

Hello, y'all. blurblaine, you are so right. I know that two wheeler's speed-o-meters are designed to be optimistic. When I say dead on, I mean pretty damn close, within one MPH at 40 MPH. The optimism at 70 MPH may be within 5-7 MPH. :!: But still, I'm optimistic that the scoot will turn out to be a friend to me.

Plus I am special. :wink:... Maybe I will be the only one with an accurate speed-o-meter. I'll need to explain to the cops that I was speeding because my speed-o-meter was functioning properly. Get me outta lotsa tickets that will.:D

To the scooters go the spoils.

Jennie Burdett - MotoTexas Powersports & Scootique - Fredericksburg, Texas, USA - (830) 997-1116
www.mototexas.net www.scoottexas.com Scootique@scoottexas.com
Scoot Dog

Re: My new 2013 Genuine Blur SS 220i

Post by Scoot Dog »

Ormond wrote:Hello, y'all. blurblaine, you are so right. I know that two wheeler's speed-o-meters are designed to be optimistic. When I say dead on, I mean pretty damn close, within one MPH at 40 MPH. The optimism at 70 MPH may be within 5-7 MPH. :!: But still, I'm optimistic that the scoot will turn out to be a friend to me.

Plus I am special. :wink:... Maybe I will be the only one with an accurate speed-o-meter. I'll need to explain to the cops that I was speeding because my speed-o-meter was functioning properly. Get me outta lotsa tickets that will.:D

Verified my speed yesterday on my new 2013 Blur. It was right on. Maybe they finally fixed the speedometer problem on the newer model. Didn't verify the higher speed because I'm still in the break-in mode. But 45 mph was 45 mph.

Jennie Burdett - MotoTexas Powersports & Scootique - Fredericksburg, Texas, USA - (830) 997-1116
Ormond

My new 2013 Genuine Blur SS 220i

Post by Ormond »

Hello, Y'all. I didn't even know they were going to skip 2012 model year. Jennie's distributor wasn't as forthcoming I guess. It almost seems to me like GENUINE wants to make the 2103 seem even more 'New And Improved'. I feel lucky to have gotten a Blur, especially the 2013 model, accurate speed-o-meter and all. But I know it will yesterday's scoot soon enough.

The Blur is a bit of a harder sale. I thought it was sleeper, a bargain. I didn't want to order over the internet for a box of parts, or pay $7,000 for a Suzuki/Honda, both nice scoots. People love the Buddy, and it's priced right.

At around $4,500 TTL, The Blur is sort of in no-mans land price-wise by comparison. But having my hands on it, I'm convinced I got the right scoot for me.

Scoot Dog, it's been raining here, so no good riding time. She's still knocking loudly, blowing out the 87. But I'm ready to start twisting the throttle on my third fill-up. Gotta 'bouta 150 miles on it so far. That's 150 miles of 35- 40 Mph flagging people to pass me. I'm ready to run with the big dogs, but I must wait until she's ready. Two year parts and labor with roadside is nice, but I'd rather not need to use it.:D

All good scooters go to heaven. Good scooter drivers take them with, when they go.
hg3

Post by hg3 »

It is excellent if what you say about the speedometer being close to right on..

As for Break in ? - What do those in the know here think of :

"Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car ...
www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htmThe only difference was the break in method they used... The one on the right was broken in as per MotoMan's instructions. The one on the left was broken in ..."

In Google under: Motoman......

As of yet - saving money for my Blur.. So am curious on what others think of this system.

Harry
Ormond

Ducati is 'smokin'...

Post by Ormond »

Hello, y'all. When I was a Duc tech, for a while we were instructed, by DUCATI, to seat the rings by running the engine to hot before we put any fluids, oil or coolant, in it. I shit you not. Of course, the bearings all had assembly lube, etc. and we didn't run them for more than 3 -5 minutes. We never had one seize, or smoke afterward. Evidently, the folks in Bologna were on to something about their engines. We did it, but we thought it was nuts, and realized that this, like most magical break-in theories are like hemorrhoids ... :fp:

But DUCATI is also a company that will set an engine design up in a special chamber, air-in hoses, exhaust out hoses, a cooling system, and run the engine at WOT with the exhaust pipes glowing bright red for days. When it finally broke, and they all did, they would examine it for the point of failure. I'd call that destructive testing, but it makes for a damn fine engine. Remember, that the whole let it run for days at WOT is only possible with the desmodromic valve system.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmodromic_valve

For my 14.8 Hp rated Blur, I'll just follow the dealer's instructions. Jennie's mechanics just said keep it no more than 1/4 throttle, with varying loads (hills and speeds) for the first few fill-ups. Then no more than 1/2 throttle, with varying loads for a few more fill-ups. Then bring it in for the first oil/filter at about 300 miles. :wink:

Then, Let'er Buck... 8)
Ormond

Scoot Dog's Posting

Post by Ormond »

Ormond wrote:Hello, y'all. blurblaine, you are so right. I know that two wheeler's speed-o-meters are designed to be optimistic. When I say dead on, I mean pretty damn close, within one MPH at 40 MPH. The optimism at 70 MPH may be within 5-7 MPH. :!: But still, I'm optimistic that the scoot will turn out to be a friend to me.

ScootDog said: Verified my speed yesterday on my new 2013 Blur. It was right on. Maybe they finally fixed the speedometer problem on the newer model. Didn't verify the higher speed because I'm still in the break-in mode. But 45 mph was 45 mph.
Ormond

Let 'er buck...almost

Post by Ormond »

Hello, y'all. Filled 'er up with 93 today. I had no idea there was such a thing 'cause I always just put 87 in the ol' civic. I can't tell that it changed a goddamn thing, except that I paid over $8 for two gallon's of gas. :cry: Hell, I remember my dad paying 11 cents (there's no 'cent' key on this keyboard! never missed it before) for gas. When I was in high school, it was outrageous at 35 cents.

We will look fondly back at the days of $4.00 gas my friends, we certainly will.

I twisted the throttle today people. Got it all the way up to 5000 Rpm. Woo Hoo! That 45 Mph breeze sure felt good, and the bugs were tasty too.

By the end of next week, I should have my 300 miles, and will take 'er in for THE FIRST SERVICE! If all goes well, I will let'er buck on the way home. I may even push 60 Mph!

Here are my personal findings so far. The mirrors are shit. Even the halogen headlight is shit. (Drove past a deer last night and it flipped me the bird and laughed at me). The deadlights are shit. But, the rear lights look pretty good. The seat hurts my ass, and will definitely lead to a severe case of monkey-butt if not rectumfied. The under-seat phone charger doesn't work. The under-seat light goes off auto-magically so you don't forget. But how can you forget when it goes out every 60 seconds. Gotta flashlight for that.

You see, just when you pick up your shiny new scoot, the first thing you need to start on is your list of Harley-like chrome bits; more lights, better mirrors, replacement seat, yadda-yadda. If GENUINE comes out with their own line of boots, beer, and toilet paper, I'll rename my scoot "Hoggy", and paint flames down the side.

Now I'm a mechanically adept person. But geez. But still, it was a fun ride. (That's really true, y'all.) I still love my scoot. I could have paid more to have Suzuki/Honda trim it out, but then it wouldn't be as personally customized. Plus, we really need to support the scooter aftermarket.

Reminder to self, head can still crack open even when laying down a scooter.
Ormond

The case of the deadly sidestand...

Post by Ormond »

Hello, y'all. One very important thing I forgot to mention before. The sidestand has a weak spring on it. If you leave it on the side stand and a slight breeze comes from behind your scoot, it might just go right on down.

To protect against this, until I come up with a better fix, I bind the front (right hand) brake lever to lock the front tire. Better yet, keep it on the centerstand if possible. Right now the binding is just a hook and loop strap around the grip and lever. Looks real cool! Plus, now it will start with just a touch of the button. Geez.

Is that stairway to heaven ready yet?
Ormond

Live, from the Texas Hill Country...

Post by Ormond »

Hello, y'all. This really isn't intended to be the Late Night with Ormond O'Brian show. Feel free to chime in. My Blur customer number is 1857. We are a rare bunch, and we need to stick together.

Next up will be the Modern Blur website. Then all 8 of us can have our own BBS. I'll see if Jennie wants to place the first ad.

Check out: http://english.pgo.com.tw/sfile/M2%20En ... ndbook.pdf

http://pgo3.e-work.com.tw/product_list.asp?id=1215

By the way, I am considering a Blur tour of Alaska. Anyone interested should reply before the snow gets too deep, else we'll be Ice Road Scooters.