Help: Need to replace back tire on Blur

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike900

Help: Need to replace back tire on Blur

Post by Mike900 »

Last month I bought a barely broken in blur and have been having a grand time riding it around. It has less than 2K BDUs and so I was not planning changing the tires for years. So I picked up a screw on the road yesterday. I put a temporary plug in and ordered up a new tire and I thought I would try to replace the tire myself. After all how hard could this be?

Well after looking in the manual and searching here on modern buddy, I am not sure what needs to be pulled and what the ideal order would be to get the rear wheel off.

It looks like the muffler/ right side swingarm (if that is even what it is called) needs to be removed. So any hints? Which spot did you disconnect the muffler? Did you pull the rear brake calipers or leave them connected? How long did it take? Any atypical tools needed?

In return for any help I will try to take some pictures of the change out and post them.

Thanks,
Mike
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's going to be very similar to the Buddy. Check this link and the threads linked there, which could shed some light on how to do it on a Blur.

viewtopic.php?p=162817
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
chillas61210

Post by chillas61210 »

the tire will need to be balanced unless you are super lucky so you may want to take it to a local shop.
Lindsay
Mike900

Post by Mike900 »

Here is how I pulled the wheel
Step 1.Loosen axle bolt a quarter turn- 24 mm socket and long breaker bar with bike on ground and applying rear brake (or if you prefer to use the actual method I did try steps 2-7 first, realize that you can’t stop the wheel from turning and then reattach the brake to break the bolt free and then re-remove the brakes)

Step 2 Remove fan Cover – 3 screws - (not really necessary but it is in the way)

Step 3 Loosen clamp on muffler with 13 mm wrench (not enough room for socket)

Step 4 Remove Muffler – remove 2 - 14 mm bolts holding on muffler and slide muffler off header

Step 5 Remove 3 – 10 mm bolts supporting brake line

Step 6 -Remove brake – remove 2 - 12 mm bolts and gently set aside brake caliper

Step 7 Remove axle nut 24 mm and washer

Step 8 Remove 2 - 12 mm bolts holding on swingarm

Step 9 Remove swingarm

Step 10 Remove spacer and wheel

Attached file has pictures
[/img]
Attachments
wheel removal.ppt
(480 KiB) Downloaded 152 times