2011 Blur Vibrates at 58-63MPH...

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NASH

2011 Blur Vibrates at 58-63MPH...

Post by NASH »

I purchased a used (1000 miles) 2011 Blur a few weeks ago from a dealer. It runs like a champ.

However, I noticed at speeds from 58-63 MPH there are noticeable vibrations. I have a windshield installed.

I took it to the dealer and they said this is normal. I am not so sure and think it may be wheels off balance.

Does anyone else have this issue? If so, what is the best way to fix?

Thank you.

NASH
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Normal?

Some degree might be normal, but… Did they test ride it?

Could be your tires, tire pressure, steering column bearings, rims or several other causes.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'd suspect the windshield, too. I know everyone loves them but I suspect they often create issues and affect handling.

Def check tire pressures/wear/balance, make sure the rims are straight, make sure the front and back wheels are aligned properly…

is there any play in either wheel, ie when it's off the ground can you twist or slide it side to side? should be no movement at all other than rotational.

Is the steering right? should be no up-down play on the steering column, and again, no wiggling or rocking, only smooth rotational movement.

If you feel any wobble in the steering head or either wheel, or the rotation/steering feels grindy or uneven, maybe the bearings need to be replaced.

Also look for signs of a head-on collision that could have bent the forks or frame. And check the swingarm bolt, shock bolts, etc, anything suspension-related, to make sure they're tight.

Hope that helps.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

General vibration *is* normal, you're pushing a fairly small one-cylinder bike to its limit. But it should by no means feel 'wobbly' or unsteady or dangerous.

Most scooters vibrate more when they're idling than they do at high speeds.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Yup, mine did something similar at around 70mph (indicated), pretty much normal and it did go away as the tires wore in more evenly.

The whole scooter rattles all the time, which irritated me at first, but its just something you get use to. The build quality isn't really all that great to begin with. But its a bargain for what you do get...
NASH

Thanks for all the replies. This helps out a lot!

Post by NASH »

Thanks for all the replies. This helps out a lot!
Rush

Post by Rush »

Mine had vibrations at 65 blurmph = 55mph for about the first 2k miles. Now it only has a slight shake at idle.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

If it has stock tires, you may try some Dyna-beads to see if that dynamic balancing works for you, either that or get them balanced for real at a scooter or motorcycle shop. I had Dyna-beads in my first set of (stock) tires and they were OK, but I put on some Michelin Pilot Sports (including the wider front that Scooterworks recommends) and there was no need for the beads or any external balancing. A pretty smooth ride, all things considered.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

I'll second the Dynabeads. From headshake rattle to smooth as glass over 53 mph here.