Abrupt cvt engagement coming from stop

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

omniphil

Abrupt cvt engagement coming from stop

Post by omniphil »

I don't know if this is just a cold weather thing or just a sign of bad things to come, but lately when I am coming from a stop I can move a few feet and the belt will (what I assume) slip from one spot to another on one of the pullies cause a fairly abrupt jerk an the scooter lunges forward as it grabs. Pretty much does it every time I come back to a stop. I remembered this happening alot before the belt snapped on me last year. When the belt was replaced it felt silky smooth and the cvt was engaging in what I would call a normal manner.

Once the belt "slips" into place aburptly then it is totally smooth and fine and any speed until I come to a stop again.

Bad spot on the pulley? Just cold weather jitters?

Have you folks noticed anything like this? My belt probably has about 900 miles on it now. Something tells me this scooters is going to keep throwing belts every few thousand miles...

I should also note that since "cold" weather is a subjective term, I am talking about 40-50 degrees F
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I've not experienced that on any of the CVT scoots that I've owned. On the Honda Reflex mailing list, one guy swears that when you change the belt you should gently clean and fine sand the pulley surfaces so that they are no longer glazed. I've not tried that, but it seems to make sense if you are having slipping problems. As long as they are super-clean and free of grease or oil, I don't see how the belt could slip. I guess that it's time to take a look and see what you've got going on.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

Rippinyarn wrote:I've not experienced that on any of the CVT scoots that I've owned. On the Honda Reflex mailing list, one guy swears that when you change the belt you should gently clean and fine sand the pulley surfaces so that they are no longer glazed. I've not tried that, but it seems to make sense if you are having slipping problems. As long as they are super-clean and free of grease or oil, I don't see how the belt could slip. I guess that it's time to take a look and see what you've got going on.
Yeah, once the weather gets a little better i'm going to pull the cover and try to clean the pulley and see if I notice anything odd in there... I think it goes away once the weather is warm...
Rush

Post by Rush »

I've noticed the exact same thing this Spring when Blur is cold or hasn't run in a few days. But I rode all winter here in Ohio and never experienced it then... Dealer suggested it may be brake dust accumulating. I also have 8k on the odometer so it IS about time to replace that belt and put in some sliders. I've noticed if I just don't accelerate hard it seems to work itself out after 20 minutes of non-WOT (in-the-city) riding.
paulthompson

Post by paulthompson »

Many people might have noticed the term “continuously variable transmission” as well as other buzzwords being bandied about regarding automotive transmissions. There is nothing magical about them, but there are some basic differences individuals should be aware of. Automobile transmissions used to come in two flavors: manual and automatic. However, some may have noticed a greater variety these days, as paddle-operated automatics and continuously variable transmissions are being offered in cars. There are some fundamental differences. You may read further at: Continuously variable and other types of transmissions , so you can get the right transmission.
bcgreaf

Post by bcgreaf »

I'm having this exact same problem. I'm not the most knowledgeable person with working on motors. Is there anyway someone could do a write-up with pictures on how to get in there pull the belt and clean the pulleys?

I'd rather do it myself instead of driving an hour and a half to the closest scooter dealer. If it is easier than it sounds then maybe someone could just explain it to me and skip the pictures. I just dont want to make any mistakes that could hurt my scooter.

Thanks
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

Dont know why it does that but keep riding it'll go away