tire questions on 2007 blur

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rew750

Post by rew750 »

I've had some bad luck with my rear tires for the 5 years I've had my blur 2007. Nails have killed two tires after about 2300 miles. My most recent tire has 7500 miles on it and I picked up a small cotter pin that I was able to get sealed a few weeks back and then got a staple that I was also able to seal.

I ordered a replacement rear Michelin tiire online that I haven't had installed yet. But was wondering with 13000 miles on the front tire if its time to replace it at the same time and have fresh tread all around. It doesn't look too bad and seams the tread is pretty good, but I know time can also affect a tire as well. So how often does everyone think the front tire should be changed out?

and if I can stop picking up the junk on the road in the tread how many miles should I be able to get on the rear tire?
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

The years can be cruel to a tire, even if it's not wearing from road contact. I think that they say that it's a five-year life span until the rubber dries out or loses elasticity or generally degrades to the point that it's unusable. That said, I can find no cracking or hardened rubber on my 10-year old tires on my Reflex (original), and they still grip well, but I'm going to replace them anyway before the riding season.

I replaced my Blur tires (as a set) at probably 5000 miles because the rear was getting a little marginal. I put on the Pilot Sports that they recommend on Scooterworks (including the wider front) and like them a lot. Not a huge difference in grip from the stock (which are pretty soft and grippy), but they are better balanced (without external weights or the Dyna-beads that I had in the stockers), and help me feel more confident with the scoot in turns.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
rew750

Post by rew750 »

So it looks like the front and the back are different sizes? I see 120/60-13 for a size for the front and 130/60-13 for the rear which is what I ordered for the rear. But I don't see that 120/60-13 front size out there to purchase.
Is there an equivalent size out that to get instead? What size did you put on the front of the Blur when you had it?
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Here's what I got - http://www.scooterworks.com/Tire-Michel ... 9C568.aspx

Note their note that says although the front is slightly wider, it fits just fine. And it already makes a great scoot even better.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com