Seeking Blur Performance in 65-75mph range

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rush

Seeking Blur Performance in 65-75mph range

Post by Rush »

So I'm looking for a few ways to maximize the Blur on the expressway. The scooter is phenomenal from 0 to 65mph (0 - 77 bdu indicated) but I'd like to make the 65-75 speed (78-84 bdu) a bit more feasible even if it reduces some of the performance at lower speeds - but I don't want to risk overworking the machine. Btw 84 bdu is my personal best.

I've got the windshield - seems to help.

Right now I'm pushing into the red RPMs before getting WOT on the freeway so I may try out some 14 or 16g sliders. (buggyworks doesn't have 15g)

Has anyone looked into lightweight wheels? I'm not sure if these will fit the Blur, nor if they are lighter if at all - http://www.scooterpartsplace.com/13-Inc ... Spoke.aspx

As far as weight reduction - the only thing I can think of other than the wheels is possibly a lighter battery. I did weigh myself and found that my normal riding gear adds 20 pounds - but I like to dress like I've got a date with the pavement.

Part of me says that the Blur 220i is already performance tuned and most changes will taunt with durability - I just want to have a little more headroom to keep pace with the 65mph suburban commuting traffic.

Ideas sought!

Thanks.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I remembered this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=20581&highlight=battery+weight

re: batteries, half the weight or less may be a slight help for you.

Another source...maybe hit the gym? I need to : /
I think TVB called it a "biomass upgrade" hehe, thread about that too in main forum.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

twin turbo!!!
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

I would love this as well, but the honest truth is this just isn't made for that type of highway riding. And that's what I attempt to do with this scooter.

My personal best is 89 indicated, which I assume is the max the speedo will show as I know I was going faster without the indicator reading any higher, however there is no way I can reliably get going this fast, only under the right conditions.

What it needs is 5 more horsepower and slightly taller gearing, both of which are pretty difficult.

If this scooter was 10 mph faster it would be near perfect, its just shy of really being freeway capable...
Rush

Post by Rush »

Installed the 14g sliders tonight. Was raining so didn't push it on the highway. In comparison with the rollers - acceleration seems improved - tach seems to stay around 6k - we'll see over this week if it keeps tach under 9k at max speeds.

Haha did a little thinking about turbos - seems like lack of reliability and introduction of alot of complication, and added stress on a little motor makes it unfeasible.

Is it possible to cram a 350-400cc engine on the blur frame? Could the CVT handle it?
Rush

Post by Rush »

I was up to 82bdu/ph (about 70mph) today on a flat part... gonna check out some hills and try drafting behind some semi's tomorrow to see if speed increases any - but I kinda doubt it. The guy that sold me the sliders was pretty clear - they will not boost horsepower - which is really what determines max speed. My real aim was to keep my rpms down at max speed - I was getting over 9k with the rollers. 82 was giving me about 8.2k-8.5k on the tach. Thus mission accomplished.

It sounds like the 13.5g sliders may just improve low and mid acceleration. Neither slider weight will increase max speed. I'd be interested to see what the tach is at max speed with the 13.5g.

The real trick might be cleaning out the black soot that accumulates in the CVT over a couple thousand miles.
dongarritas

Blur performance

Post by dongarritas »

So...reading lots of this and that about the Blur performance and/or lack there of. Thought I'd share my experience so far: 2011 220i, 640 miles. I'm 6'4", 240 lbs. Started breaking her in slowly, and got one engine warning doing 65 for the first time @300 miles after 10 mins; pulled over, checked oil, let sit for 5 minutes or so, no more problems. Today, decided to stretch her out a bit...83 read mph @8300 rpm, sustained read 78 easily on flats and minor uphill riding. Handles like a dream, virtually no wind problems at all, ordered windscreen that should improve all above somewhat. My guess is that by 2500 miles, when I will switch to synthetic, and she will be broke in well, this baby will have no problems cruising on the highway for reasonable amounts of time. BTW, I live in San Antonio Texas, where it is warm, to say the least. I Love this bike!